It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Arrests 7 Palestinian Cabinet Members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Israel has arrested dozens of law makers and ministers in its latest invasion of the Gaza Strip. "We have no government, we have nothing. They have all been taken," said Saeb Erekat, the Palestinian government's negotiator and ally of moderate Fatah President Abbas. Israel also bulldozed Palestinian crops on farm land and violated Syrian airspace.

news.yahoo.com
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Israeli troops rounded up dozens of ministers and lawmakers from the Palestinians' ruling Hamas party on Thursday, while forging ahead with a military campaign in Gaza meant to win the release of an Israeli soldier held by Hamas gunmen.

Israeli warplanes also buzzed the summer home of
Syria's president, Bashar Assad, who harbors the hard-line Hamas leaders who
Israel says ordered the kidnapping.

Adding to the tension, the body of a kidnapped 18-year-old Jewish settler who was shot in the head was found in the
West Bank, Israeli security officials said. Palestinian militants said they executed Eliahu Asheri, whose body was found buried near the West Bank city of Ramallah.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Every day Israel is not condemned as a terrorist nation is an indictment on the international community. An Israeli soldier has been kidnapped and the Israeli government think it is acceptable to deprive the entire Gaza Strip of clean drinking water, electricity, access in and out, violate a sovereign nations airspace (in itself and act of war) and destroy already strained food sources.

This is state sponsored terrorism. Using jets flying faster than the speed of sound over populated areas to scare Palestinian civilians is terrorism. Knocking out electricity and water supplies to cause a humanitarian disaster is terrorism. Firing rockets and bombs into populated areas to kill a single person is terrorism.

My question is how are the Palestinians to talk to the Israelis and come to an agreement to stop this escalating when the Palestinians now have no effective government? How long will it be before the Israeli government starts saying the Palestinian government is responsible for the escalation because of their inaction (without mentioning they cant act because Israel locked them up).

It is also not lost on me the timing of this extremely disproportionate Israeli response. Through out the history of this conflict there has been a common theme throughout. Whenever the Palestinians begin to moderate and start coming to the party with respect to Israeli demands we see a massive unilateral provocation from Israel.

Hamas had signalled its intent to ratify a document which accepts a two state solution: that is they recognize Israel's right to exist. A day or so later the Israeli government uses a single kidnapping as a pretext for an all out invasion of Gaza! What timing eh? Now the moderates have no chance of furthering peace because Israel and Palestine are once again going for each others throat!

I have said it many times before, Israel cannot survive a peace deal with Palestine. They know demographics will eventually absorb a peaceful Israel into the Arab fold. Thus they instigate actions such as these to make peace impossible.

My opinion of the Israeli government was low, now I openly wish they are arrested for war crimes. This is appalling.

[edit on 29/6/06 by subz]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Was a bit surprised when I hopped on MSNBC to hear about how hard Israel was hitting them. Its funny that we are told to think Israel is the good people, but im starting to realize why the palestinians hate them so much.

According to MSNBC , Egypt had negotiated the release of the prisoner, yet the bombings still were carried out, they claimed they wernt told of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

You have voted subz for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Great analysis, subz!

I never expected things to excalate so much between Israel and Palestine. Israel have no right to harm the innocent civilians that are living in Gaza, it's sickening. My opinion of Israel has just drastically changed.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
When the palestinians take someone,it is always described as kidnap by the mainstream media.
When the israelis take someone,it is always called detention or arrest.
This blatently shows how the media is slanted towards Israel.
Don`t accuse me of anti semetism here,as this is a fact,not my opinion.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

subz

Hamas had signalled its intent to ratify a document which accepts a two state solution: that is they recognize Israel's right to exist. A day or so later the Israeli government uses a single kidnapping as a pretext for an all out invasion of Gaza! What timing eh? Now the moderates have no chance of furthering peace because Israel and Palestine are once again going for each others throat!

I have said it many times before, Israel cannot survive a peace deal with Palestine. They know demographics will eventually absorb a peaceful Israel into the Arab fold. Thus they instigate actions such as these to make peace impossible.

Seems to me like Israel has done everything they can to provoke the Palestinian government, and when Hamas turned around and agreed to accept Israel on some level, they were mortified that their attempts to prolong the conflict had failed. When Israel gave back some land, I thought they might actually be working to resolve this, but it looks like it was all part of the plan to leave the Palestinians shattered, and with even less than they had before.

subz
My opinion of the Israeli government was low, now I openly wish they are arrested for war crimes. This is appalling.

Agreed, but it's probably never going to happen. Israel are just defending themselves, right? Who cares if they destroy what little infrastructure the Palestinians have, and kidnap their entire Government?

Blah.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Not only is Israel well within its rights to hold the hamas leadership, its perfectly within its rights to try them and execute them.

If the palestinians are sick of being at war with israel, let them sue for peace.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The world hasen't seen this kind of response since the days of Teddy Rosevelt and the great white fleet. The Israeli response is not about legalities, or fairness, or anything of the sort; it is about teaching the buggers not to ever even think of doing it again.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You have voted subz for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

well put

couldnt agree more i find it hilerious that israels actions are always correct and undisputed

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I love it. Israel won't even let food from the World Food Program through the borders. They want them to go through Egyptian borders even though its out of the way. If you notice Egypt closed their borders to any retreating Palestinians,Why? My thinking is if they had allowed them access to retreat, they would have accused Egypt of aiding and abetting the escaping terrorists. Now many israeli citizens are actually making claims that the Egyptians wouldn't even help their fellow arabs. This is so typical. Bomb their security forces and call them ineffectual, take their income away and call them beggars,take away their humanity and call them terrorists. Thuggery nothing less.

[edit on 30-6-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
When the palestinians take someone,it is always described as kidnap by the mainstream media.
When the israelis take someone,it is always called detention or arrest.
This blatently shows how the media is slanted towards Israel.
Don`t accuse me of anti semetism here,as this is a fact,not my opinion.

It wasn't the Palestinian Authority that took the Israeli soldier and settler. It was a miltary wing/terrorist group of Hamas that supposedly the Palestinian's can not still "control".

Gaza militants demand 1,000 prisoners for Israeli

"We are declaring to the public our just and humanitarian demands," said the statement faxed to news agencies by the armed wing of the governing Hamas Islamist group, the Popular Resistance Committees and Army of Islam.

http:// today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-07-01T013802Z_01_SCH354578_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST.xml&rss&rpc=22

If the Elected government of the P.A. cannot even come close to keeping a lid on radicals there, then they reap what they sow. How will the average Palestinian look on Hamas after they lead them down a dismal road?

The ball is entirely in Hamas's hand as to what happens next. They have it within their power to stop this if they choose.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

This is state sponsored terrorism.

Digging a tunnel and kidnapping a solider and then demanding the release of 1000 prisoners is also state sponsored terrorist is it not?

I am with nygdan Israel is well within their rights to do what they feel is necessary

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Not only is Israel well within its rights to hold the hamas leadership, its perfectly within its rights to try them and execute them.

Kidnap and Execution of OFFICIAL GOVERMENT MEMBERS is an Act of War.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The only reason the Palestinians have a government of any kind is because Israel allowed them the chance at self government. You act as if they are the government of a nation, they are not currently. What kind of government can't even control the military wing of it's own majority party? Or promotes a know leader of current terror activities to ministerial post. And you expect Israel to take them at their word?

The Palestinians are running out of excuses for their own poor leadership. The Palestinians are for the first time in recent memory responsible for the actions of their duly elected officials. That they picked a government who wants Israel's destruction shows poor decsion making, however, they made it themselves. They are reaping what they have sown and have no one to blame but themselves for electing such officials.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by pavil]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hamas greatest accomplishments has been convincing children to blow themselves just so they can cause more bloodshed. Without the promise of anything in return, Israel withdrew its settlements from Gaza to allow the Palestinians to form their own government. Despite superior posessing superior military force, the Israeli government has tried its hardest to reach a peaceful settlement.

The Palestinians elected Hamas, who openly call for the destruction of Israel. Despite strong international pressure, Hamas wouldn't even go so far as to lie and claim they will recognize Israel. Recently, Hamas has continued to support firing Qasam rockets at Israeli civilians. However, the Israeli government has shown enormous restraint.

The Israeli soldiers were not inside any disputed territories, but rather they were inside Israeli proper. Hamas committed a blatant act of war, kidnapped a soldier, and refused to so much as release the soldier and apologize.

Sadly, Hamas doesn't want peace. Hamas doesn't want to build a state. Hamas wants a war with Israel. Israel has no other choice, but to militarily destroy Hamas.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Australian

SRAEL last night threatened to assassinate Palestinian Prime Minister Ismael Haniyeh if Hamas militants did not release a captured Israeli soldier unharmed.

The unprecedented warning was delivered to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in a letter as Israel debated a deal offered by Hamas to free Corporal Gilad Shalit.

It came as Israeli military officials readied a second invasion force for a huge offensive into Gaza.

Hamas's Gaza-based political leaders, including Mr Haniyeh, had already gone into hiding.

But last night's direct threat to kill Mr Haniyeh, a democratically elected head of state, sharply raised the stakes.

Threating with Assassination of Democraticly elected OFFICIAL GOVERMENT MEMBERS?

Terrorism anyone?

Well not if Isreal does it!

Imagine if Hamas started to threat with Assassinations of Isreali PM, if one of their prisoners was not released.

Well I am sure that many people would be Outraged!

Not in this case...

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Kidnap and Execution of OFFICIAL GOVERMENT MEMBERS is an Act of War.

Kidnapping of a nation's soldier is an ACT OF WAR.

That came first in this incident. Yet you continue to ignore it.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I find it strange that many writers to this post from usa, whose compatriots were murdered by israelis aboard the ss liberty, see rense.com, come to the aid of this arrrogant nation, now in the act of committing war crimes against a civilian population. As I was born a jew, no doubt i will immediately be labelled a self hater by hysterical supporters. What you send out, comes back to you that is the law of the universe.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

According to International Law the Israeli Military is in ILLEGALLY occupying Gaza Strip AND West Bank since 1967!

40 Years have passed and nothing changed.

And somehow you Continue to Ignore that.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
as bad as the JEWS have had it , PLUS considering they ARE Gods chosen people, i can see NO way for them to be condemned. Israel is in an area of dispute, they are surrounded by enemies, what would you do?? i think if Israel has done something then chances are in this day and time, God wanted it done. flame on!!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Originally posted by jsobecky

According to International Law the Israeli Military is in ILLEGALLY occupying Gaza Strip AND West Bank since 1967!

40 Years have passed and nothing changed.

And somehow you Continue to Ignore that.

The Arabs attacked Israel, and Israel won. In fighting the war, Israel acquired some additional territory. Israel has attempted over time give back large amounts of that territory in exchange for peace. However, the Palestinians have refused to accept any offer, and continued a perpetual war against Israel.

Take a look at Hamas Charter which explicity states in article 28:

Israel, by virtue of its being Jewish and of having a Jewish population, defies Islam and the Muslims.

Compare this to the platform of the Kadima party, Israel's current ruling party, which states:

Israel’s existence as the national home of the Jewish people mandates the acceptance of the principle that the end of the conflict will be manifested in the existence of two nation states, based on existing demographic realities, living in peace and security side by side.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join