It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do UK members here protect themselves?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
America does have chavs they just aren't called that there (I don't know what you call them!)

Britain isn't that dangerous. The reason t sounds like there is is because this thread appeals to those mainly who have had an experience of crime.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
America does have chavs they just aren't called that there (I don't know what you call them!)

Not like you do there. Random violence is actually rare. Like I said, if you getinto a fight here, it usually a personal thing.

Britain isn't that dangerous. The reason t sounds like there is is because this thread appeals to those mainly who have had an experience of crime.

Really? cause I seem to remember reading that your violent crime rate has been going through the roof.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by cavscout]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Some pertinent links:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5
Link 6
Link 7
Link 8
Great Link With Charts
UN Study Showing Crime Rates for Many Countries
The UN document also shows higher crime in countries with gun control.
One more

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
hi, i've been reading these forums for a while but this is the first time i've replied to anything posted

personally i've been assaulted a few times, hospitalised once (the only time i've came off worse than the other guy), mugged a few times although that was only 2 mobile phones, some fags and a few pounds in change they managed to get from me in total. but i dont think the town i live in is any worse than any large town in the uk, generally i rely upon my size for protection
if you see someone who's about 6'0 built like the proverbial brick sh*thouse who generally doesnt look too happy walking down the street your less likely to mug him than you are a smaller, weaker guy are you
as for home protection? i have a dog (lab staffy cross but he's really nice natured
) myself and the assortment of objects in my house that would hurt if someone hit you with them, and my boots (new rock boots and no im not a goth type) because if you get kicked by them its going to hurt especially a swift kick to the jewels
, that and my street has 2 or 3 rather pathetic cctv camera's on it (but they couldnt show much detail when i get jumped in the parking lot up the town at night when i was right in front of it so i dont have much faith in the ones up here)

of course i hope i never have to test that theory out *touches wood*

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
In the last year, there were 2 deaths due to firearms in Scotland. Yup, just 2.
I think our firearm control is working quite well.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Outstanding research Blaine.
Thank you. You UK people need to look at what Blaine posted.

Why be a slave when you can be a freeman?

Got Glock?

Roper

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredH
In the last year, there were 2 deaths due to firearms in Scotland. Yup, just 2.
I think our firearm control is working quite well.

Got a link? Even if your figures are correct why just Scotland? Why just guns? People were killing each other long before guns. How many people were stabbed or beaten to death? Strangled or drowned?

How about just beaten up or raped? Seeing as your victim disarmament laws encourage violence I think you should really weigh those numbers.

So a man raping a woman and getting away with it just to do it again is preferable, even morally superior to, a woman shooting and killing her rapist? What a twisted place you live in. So afraid of guns that you allow predators to roam your streets and prosecute citizens that protect themselves against them.

No wonder we fought to get away from your country’s legal system. I sure am glad we won our independence.

PS: According to Blain's third link gun crime in 2005 was up 6% from the previous year. only up 6%! that sure justifies all those rapes and beatings!

[edit on 2-7-2006 by cavscout]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
'Protecting myself' never really bothered me much at all until my other half and I had our son. My current protection consists of a 9 iron, a putter, a samurai sword and broad sword (both very sharp and under our bed). There's also a number of large heavy things that could be used to whack anyone invading our house with neffarious intentions over the head with.

I live in a nice quite decent area with no crime to speak of (not even a police station..it's that quiet), but you never can tell when something / someone may decide that its 'playtime'. I personally don't give two hoots what the law says, if someone comes near my wife and child in our house, they are only getting out one way. Somethings are worth fighting for.

Wayne...

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Personally, I think Blaine's links are a bit of kidology. If you compare the percentages against each countries population you will calculate the league winner between the USA and Great Britain for most violent crimes. USA is by far the country with the most victims, and thus, their crime rate is higher, regardless of how they want to dress up the figures. Pro-gun lobbyists tend to use figures in this manner to back up their claim for gun ownership, afterall, its a booming business.

Britain is a relatively safe country. It does have its crime rate, with a prison population around the 250,000 mark, whereas the USA exceeds two million.

America's population, circa 2000 was 300 million
Great Britain's population circa 2001 was 59 million

The percentages quoted were:

America - 2% on average
Great Britain - 2.5% on average. Just do the math!

Self-safety is a matter of common sense most of the time, but of course, there are times that trouble can find you out without you even looking for it. Pub fights can erupt, street fights can kick off, or you can find yourself coming home to a door slightly open with the sound of rummaging going on inside. How you act is down to your own confidence and intelligence.
Sometimes - and this has happend to me - you are left with no other choice but to defend yourself. The pillock in front of you seems determined to make a violent point with you as his example. In this situation you cannot hesitate, get in quick and savagely, and make sure he can't get back up.
My situation was mistaken identity, but the guy came at me with a stool, I took him down with a side kick to the knee cap. I was severly cautioned by the police, but whom also told me I did good. Personally, I # myself at the time!

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What matters is the number of issues per capita. If your country has a higher number of victims per 100,000 population, your country is, in fact, LESS safe. While Britain seems safe, what has it cost you?

I used to think that gun control, or at least gun restriction, was a good idea. Of course, after a lot of discourse and reading, I completely reversed my opinion. There was an essay which really made me think. Here is an excerpt:

Is your life worth protecting? If so, whose responsibility is it to protect it? If you believe that it is the police's, not only are you wrong -- since the courts universally rule that they have no legal obligation to do so -- but you face some difficult moral quandaries. How can you rightfully ask another human being to risk his life to protect yours, when you will assume no responsibility yourself? Because that is his job and we pay him to do it? Because your life is of incalculable value, but his is only worth the $30,000 salary we pay him? If you believe it reprehensible to possess the means and will to use lethal force to repel a criminal assault, how can you call upon another to do so for you?

Do you believe that you are forbidden to protect yourself because the police are better qualified to protect you, because they know what they are doing but you're a rank amateur? Put aside that this is equivalent to believing that only concert pianists may play the piano and only professional athletes may play sports. What exactly are these special qualities possessed only by the police and beyond the rest of us mere mortals?

The rest of an essay is here: A Nation of Cowards, by Jeffrey R. Snyder

My rangemaster was fond of a certian truism in the essay: Call for the cops, an ambulance, and a pizza. See who gets there first.

Enjoy the thin crust while you bleed out. I know that Toronto's 52 division has an approximate wait time of six to ten minutes on a 911 call that's of the most serious nature (ei. "Pork chop sandwiches, I've been shot!"), which by my calculations is more than enough time to, you know, die or be raped and have your assailant run off before they get there. Well, even if they stuck around, I bet you're real happy about it, right?

DE

[edit on 2-7-2006 by DeusEx]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
well i believe it is

dont become a victim - dont wear that flashy mobile round your neck. Carry a laptop in a quiet bag - not one with DELL screaming on the outside. Learn to asses risks and know what to do about it - do you know a rolled up nespaper can do as much damage as a pickaxe handle ? For me - and this only me - walking around with a walkman/ipod clampep on my head worked in NYC pre Gulliani and works in London even today. There are simple rules -

1) Make no eye contact
2) If you do look for an escape vector
3) When Confronted be the agressor

If you cant do 3 then revert to rule 2

There is nothing you posess aside from your life that insurance or just letting go cannot take care of. Above all LIFE is the maxim if you do not have means or ability to defend yourself - run

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolman

I cant resist posting this story here, sorry if its out of line.

A few years back my freinds grandmother's house was broken into, she was a Farm Girl from Russia, tough as they come.
She beat the hell out of the burglar, then placed a side by side into his mouth and called police. The Police arrived and took the burglar into custody, who ended up being a known and wanted Rapist as well.
He was convicted and jailed for decades. The Police still visit granny occasionally for coffee and her cakes.

The grandma seems crazy, so imagine how I am. I am a one man army, you could kind of say. I have been in many many fights (note,I only fight to protect myself and others) and never lost once. I have fought multiple people and even knocked out a person armed with a metal bar. I am cool normally, but when threatened (or even worse, when one of my friends or family are threatened) I become a terrible beast. When I face somone/some people who look like they could win me, I clutch my fists, fill my head with rage, and fearlessy and aggressivley attack. My fists are my grand weapon, I am probably capable of breaking bricks, and most of my recent fights ended quickly with me knocking the other person out for more then 20 minutes. I don't know how much damage I have done to people, but judging by how I broke right through some weak doors and heavily damaged some weak walls, and the fact that I practice on metal surfaces, I'd say I probably damage their skull/jaw. I am defineltey not your average person walking down the street. I walk with my head high, fearless look in my face. I've been known by names like "hercules" for my strength and "Russian rocket" because when threatened I go off like a rocket. Second, I have MANY friends. This is a specialty of mine. I make friends quickly and everywhere. I get along with everyone and have at least one thing in common with most people. I have a force of more then 30 friends who got my back. I myself would take a bullet for any of them. Most of my friends are armed and 90% of them have fighting experience. Next, I have weapons, but don't really need them. I have an EXTREMELY powerful rifle that shoots sharp pellets VERY fast. I also have a machete and a baseball bat. And finally, the most important thing is my fearlessness. If you were to try to rob me at gunpoint, I'd instantly try to disable you using the Systema techniques I saw in the videos. If your gun is to my head, I gaurantee you that I'll disarm you. I am quit crazy, but am still not sure how fearless I would be in some situations. However, I assure you, that even if I am afraid, I can do the anger technique, which makes me lose all fear. It isn't gauranteed to work, and i could get shot or something. My first defense is MY NAME. I am well respected and feared by plenty in my area. But if the person throws a punch, then I must protect myself and advance to stage two-fight back. I'd probably just knock him out and leave, but I am getting worried that I could accidentely kill someone with my punch! So, should I throw a weak punch and expect him to attack again, or should I punch him hard and risk hurting him seriously? I punch in the jaw, so I don't see how I could kill him (unless he falls hard with his head). So I just throw the medium punch. It will KO and probably no risk involved. My light punch probably might KO, too, but it depends. Anyway, I'm probably the last person you wanna rob or attack. If you get in my home, I will also fight very viciously. I can easily take advantage of the environment (such as chairs or the table) and use them. When I get in the Russian army, hopefully I will get even better with my self defense, and I want to start learning the Systema.
I currently box, do kicks, lift heavy and light weights, do pushups, pullups and situps. I practice fight with other people and often tell them to punch me in the weakpoints so that I would be prepared in a real fight.

That's how I defend myself. My advice is to know many people. Its good to try to make friends with everyone. Learn to fight and defend yourself. For weaker people, I recommend pepper spray. Don't ever let fear take you in a situation. Always have a tough look on you. If you're in the situation, look for the best way out. I think everyone on the thread has already said what I want to. And remember, in every situation there's a way out. Avoid and think.

GOOD LUCK!

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Is mace spray legal in the uk??? A friend gave me a small spray of some sort - I am not sure if it is pepper or Mace - so I am unsure whether I should carry it. I have a huge, paranoid scizophrenic neighbour living next door. Unfortunately he has a fixation on me. Has been charged wiht harassment 4 times, but always a suspended sentence. Basically he is stalking me - hoaking in my bins, following,etc. When he was trying to attack me last year, he had me cornered by my back door, and was beating his fists on his chest (just like a silverback gorilla). I did not know what to do, so I held up my little finger and wiggled it. He said "what the f--- are you doing?" I explained to him that I had more power in my wee finger that the force he had in his fists. He got confused and scratched his head - gave me enough time to get away.

So I do not know what is in this spray - it has a safety catch and a fancy leather pouch. as it is 2nd hand I have never tried it. If it was mace, what does it do when sprayed on someone???? What does pepper spray do???

Every day I run the gauntlet of intimidation and stares - but for 2 years I have not looked at him. I hold my head high and march past confidently. I think this annoys him more as he gan not get a reaction. I sm determined not to give him and inkling of fear!

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I think that carrying guns and knifes just leads to people getting hurt or killed in situations that could have been resolved in a humane way. In the UK, although in the city i live in there has been a fair amount of gun crime, i dont feel threatened. 9 out of 10 burglaries here are done by desperate druggies or kids and they would rarely result in people being hurt. Nearly all of the gun crime here is gang related and the people who have been killed or injured had some kind of connection.

I cant remember the statistic but on knife crime, a huge proportion of injuries in muggings and burglaries are inflictied by the victims' own weapon! For that reason i think you're better off not carrying one.

In my opinion you would be safer in the US if the same gun laws were in place.

Neither my friends, family or myself carry any kind of protection and so far we've managed alright.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Is mace spray legal in the uk???

Nope its classed as a firearm. You can be arrested for possesion of it.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
what is mace, and what does it do when sprayed on some-one's face??

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Mace on Wiki

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
With all due respect, there are over 12,600 murders in USA a year. That's 20 times more people who have killed each other in USA since 9/11 than those who died on that day. That is a massacre.

The question should be, how do Americans defend themselves? Because whatever they are doing, it is not working.

Becoming more violent and arming ourselves to the teeth is not the answer. The American way is destined to fail. It is based on insecurity. I believe the American people to be somewhat paranoid. They are the proudest nation on the planet and that is at the heart of their problem.

Britain is going through a period where a gangland mentality is taking a grip and many young people are increasingly disenfranchised and knives are a symbol of status.

The police forces are largely incompetent and underfunded, the Met police chief is a Blair puppet and Tony Blair's policies encourage violence to thrive, example new 24 hour drinking laws, relaxing cannibis laws, school league tables, taking away parental responsibilities and school discipline and failing to build more prisons and ensuring laws judges follow fit the crimes. Reported violent assaults in Britain have risen from quarter a million to a million since Blair came to office.

America has some good laws on drinking that the UK could do with. In many areas in USA you can't buy a drink if you are under 21 and they very regularly check your ID if you look like you could be younger. You can't carry a drink in the street. Most violence is drink or drug related and involving young people, so these laws are effective.

Violent crime has been slashed in many American cities. Giuliani's zero tolerance worked and it seems obvious that by getting the police on the streets and enforcing laws, crime will fall. Britain has a lot to learn by looking at America, both good and bad.

Despite the murder rate, I feel safer in American cities at night than I do in Britain. You don't get gangs of rowdy drunks like you do in UK. In my experience the streets are cleaner, police are more active and even the beggers are far better spoken than the filth you hear everyday in Britain.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Clipper]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clipper
With all due respect, there are over 12,600 murders in USA a year. That's 20 times more people who have killed each other in USA since 9/11 than those who died on that day. That is a massacre.

The question should be, how do Americans defend themselves? Because whatever they are doing, it is not working.

Something the British should note- state to state, city to city, laws vary in the US. In fact, the most violent cities in the country are the ones with the MOST gun control. Washington, LA, Detroit and New York are the five cities in the country that have the most gun control, and the most crime respectively. Also, the irregularity of the gun control laws means that criminals can head two states over, buy a weapon fairly easily, adn bring it back someplace where people do not have the ability to defend themselves as easily.

For instance, Texas is one of the safest, most polite states in the country. It also provides legal protection for firearms owners, and many people in the state carry concealed. Again, look at the incident at the Texas Courthouse where a madman went on a shooting spree, and a gun owner saved the lives of two or possibly more people.

DE

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
At fifty years of age, I am happy to say that despite living in a city all my life, I have

Never locked the house - either when I'm out or home alone.

Never felt afraid to walk anywhere in the city, at any time of night or day.

Never had anything stolen (except on the odd occasion by people I know).

The few times I felt near to being assaulted I just made it clear to the asailants that it would not be in their best interest to continue.

I REFUSE TO SUBMIT TO THE MEDIA FEAR MONGERING AND PARANOIA that drives citizens to be afraid and mistrustful of each other, rather than be afraid of the real criminals -

-corupt politicians and the military-police-prison-security-industrial-capitalist-complex.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join