It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do UK members here protect themselves?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
You poor, poor children of a benevolent government.

I watched with amazement as the UK took away your arms and then is getting( or wanting to) any long knives. ( Is this movement still going?) That is why we fight so hard here in the US for a 2A.

Roper

I Glock, there for I am!

What good are knives for? I can't see any reason myself.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala 1, i trained in Akido to help me to be able to defend myself,
I also keep my self fit and try to up my strength,

when out walking i carry keys in my hand, make sure my mobile is charged and have a little bottle of TCP in a spray bottle,

Fantastic..EXACTLY right

Awareness lends itself to safety..
I trained in aikido myself..It,s such a beautiful martial art.. completely defensive
BUT my girlfriend would call me a p@@@y as its diffused from ju jitsu..

which she TEACHES
...as does her brother...In her fathers ju jutsu club..with her uncle as a guest teacher.. a multiple discipline black belt

So as you can imagine i behave myself

Anyway point is she actually ran a self defense/awareness class that pointed out numerous faults we were all guilty of..

only one example as i,m going to try n sleep..

What,s the point of learning how to physically defend yourself if you then mentally put yourself in dangers way??

That dark alleyway shortcut that takes 30 seconds off your walking home time??? is it worth it???? Think about it

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You poor, poor children of a benevolent government. !

HMMM How many shootings do we have in a day compared to America??

You get a big gun.. Your enemy gets a bigger one.. so yooouu get a bigger one..ad infinitum...

great strategy mate.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

You poor, poor children of a benevolent government.

I watched with amazement as the UK took away your arms and then is getting( or wanting to) any long knives. ( Is this movement still going?) That is why we fight so hard here in the US for a 2A.

The only time that anyone has ever tried to mug me, I was wet, tired and miserable. So I kicked him in the happy sacs and walked away.
As for our arms - why the hell do we need them? We don't have any bears, wolves or coyotes here and we're not gun nuts.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Having grown up in South Africa and now living in London I would have to say that the best way to protect oneself is to be totally aware of where you are and where you are going. Do not go into areas or situations when you feel uneasy about them, listen to that little voice in your head / gut and you should be fine

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Valorian]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
Funny enough we actually let the police protect us as that's what they are paid to do

An individual shouldn't rely on a bunch of Pigs for protection. They're not always going to be there, are they? Why do you think we still get loads of crime? Our ability to protect ourselves properly (with guns) was taken away from us long before I was born, and it would appear everyone now accepts the fact that they have to pay for their protection by an understaffed team of egomaniacs, bigots, and eccentrics. Of course, not all of them are this way, there are some who are decent, and helpful, but I'd rather just have an Assault rifle and a spare room full of ammunition all the same.

At the moment, I protect myself with a 28 shot Gas Pistol, a machete, an axe, and an assortment of blunt instruments, and objects, for smashing skulls inward. I have several improvised petroleum bombs stored to disperse any crowd that may gather upon my place of residence. I could light these, I thought, and throw them out the window. I also keep several Gas rifles, and a powerful spring air rifle (as powerful as the law here allows), whilst trying to obtain a real firearms license (not easy in this country), so I can get something with a little more stopping power. The Air and Gas blasters will damage someone in quite a bad way, if they have to, but they are hardly substitutes for a real blaster, are they?

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Communication_Burger

At the moment, I protect myself with a 28 shot Gas Pistol, a machete, an axe, and an assortment of blunt instruments, and objects, for smashing skulls inward. I have several improvised petroleum bombs stored to disperse any crowd that may gather upon my place of residence. I could light these, I thought, and throw them out the window. I also keep several Gas rifles, and a powerful spring air rifle (as powerful as the law here allows), whilst trying to obtain a real firearms license (not easy in this country), so I can get something with a little more stopping power. The Air and Gas blasters will damage someone in quite a bad way, if they have to, but they are hardly substitutes for a real blaster, are they?

No offence Burger, but if they discover you keep that little lot already, especially "improvised petroleum bombs", i would'nt get your hopes up as far as being deemed mentally sound enough to have a firearms license is concerned!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Why can't I have a petrol bomb? I have no intention of blowing anyone, or anything up with them (although I do go to the abandoned Speedway, sometimes, and set massive lumps of concrete on fire). They are for dispersing teams, or crowds, of savage Barbarians, who may gather up about here. Hell, if I had my way, this place would be an armoured Fortress, with a Moat, some kind of drawbridge, and heavy machine gun turrets all around.

Mentally unstable? That doesn't seem to stop some people obtaining a firearms license. Heh.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Communication_Burger...I protect myself with a 28 shot Gas Pistol, a machete, an axe, and an assortment of blunt instruments, and objects, for smashing skulls inward. I have several improvised petroleum bombs stored to disperse any crowd that may gather upon my place of residence. I could light these, I thought, and throw them out the window. I also keep several Gas rifles, and a powerful spring air rifle (as powerful as the law here allows), whilst trying to obtain a real firearms license (not easy in this country), so I can get something with a little more stopping power.

Where do you live?

Or, maybe the question should be: what have you done to think you might be stormed by an angry mob at any minute?

You're not the bloke who wrote them 'crazy frog' ringtones are you?

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Essan]

[edit on 29-6-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
My uncle is a big bloke, he got out of bed and stood at the top of the stairs in his "mr. men" boxer shorts ("mr tickle" apparently) with a cast iron scotty dog door stopper in his hand. The burgerler didnt need anymore persuasion to leave.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
defend youself is dependant on what type of area you live are living in. In england some area are very safe infact most areas would be considered safe to live in without any form of protection.

Some areas on the other hand are extreamly dangerous especially certain parts of london where people are mugged, car jacked, shot and stabbed on a regular basis although it is not shown on the news this happens regularly in london area.

The best home defense is never to leave windows open if they dont need to be open always make sure they are closed at night. Get extra safty locks for all your windows and doors and then get a baseball bat.

And if your outside walking through dnagerous areas at dangerous times just get a stab resistant vest or even a light bullet proof vest no need in buying a millitry grade level III just get something which can stop 9mm bullets and knives and thats all ther is too it.

Persoanlly my house has been robbed clean of everything my family has had almost 5 times and my 2 of my cars have been stolen. I'm getting real sick and tired of the crime levels in my area becuase crime is also getting more and more violent in my area too.

The police are not really to blame for this becuase if it was upto them they would put criminals behind bars its the goverment which makes stupid sissy rules which allow hardened criminals to walk the streets again and again even after they have been caught.

I may actually leave the country and move to another one with less crime or a country which deals with criminals properly.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i agree with the be aware of your surrounding's frame of mind, also if your walking DO NOT SLOUCH, walk tall and look people in the eye, especially if ur passing a crowd of people, if u look weak they most likely will go for you.

i also train in muay thai, i find it keeps me fit and strong and of course i can defend myself if needed, also thinking of taking up brazilian ju jitsu soon.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Obviously I live in the US don't carry a gun or have a hand gun in the house. The hunting rifles don't count as home defense since they are unloaded and in a locked gun safe. We keep them because my Grandfather carried them when he was a cowboy and then Sheriff of Klickitat County. People were killing each other long before gun powder was invented. If asked I usually suggest a pocket/purse sized container of pepper spray or OC. It works great putting the attacker down giving you time to call the cops or get away. I don't know if it legal in the UK. I also agree that walking tall and confident keeps troublemakers away they want the weak victims. As far as being paranoid Mechanic don't think so I just make sure I can take care of myself and my family with strong locks and common sense.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx

I may actually leave the country and move to another one with less crime or a country which deals with criminals properly.

Or just move to another part of the country

Don't don't even shut my windows when I'm out, let alone lock them ...... I live on a small estate on the edge of a small market town.

But I do agree 100% with you regarding the way we treat criminals
'Treat' being the word!

Frankly I don't give a t*ss what the EU or anyone says about human rights, by voluntarily committing a crime you relinquish all right to protection under the law. Simple as that. It's how it always was, and it's how it always should be.

btw I also think it's high time we brought back the Stocks

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

btw I also think it's high time we brought back the Stocks

I would actually support that 100% also i would like to see public hangings brought back aswell for dangerous people.
That should take care of our over crowded prisons.

But oh no we have to respect criminals human rights

[edit on 29-6-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Wow, That sounds a little OTT. I assume you've had trouble before or live in a pretty rough area? I mean it's better to be safe than sorry and I can get a little worried unnecessarily (sp?) but that's craaaazy

I live in the South East of London,

lol just to give you a clue, I had a swat team in my house to arrest the next door neighbour who murdered a local women and stole her mobile, the police called the mobile and the man answered and it led back to him next door 0-0

A 16 yr old boy was murdered by thugs around the corner
and another poor kid got hit with a hammer and sadly died in hospital also from around the corner,

Crime around here seems to have got very violent over the past 2 years and in this area womens safty is also not that good,.

So i dont think im over reactng, I dont let it run my life, but i Do be aware and know where all the things i need are, It may just one day save myh life or the life of someone else if i see it happeneing,

But im glad we dont have guns here, i cant imagin the kids here getting hold of them, then i would live in fear,

[edit on 29-6-2006 by asala]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
As Agent T said, a martial art is a good starting place for self defence, (black belt in tae kwno doe, and i am studying aikdio)

but the best weapon is your head, as it has been said if someone is in your house helping themsleves to your nice plasma tv etc. let em have it, you are insured, plus if you do decide to tackle the thieving little #e, more than likely you will end up in jail for assault for beating the snot out of him.

Friend of mine caught someone climbing through his window, after coming home from work early one morning, decided to let him know how displeased he was with the little git, and ended up being charged with GBH

Let them take what they want, claim on the insurance, that way you wont end up being charged with something and the git who tried to rob you will be on a adventure hoilday and claiming compsation for his injuries

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Personally, I do the following:

On the street, always project a quiet but aggressive image. An oxymoron? Nah... just look like you are more than prepared to tear the next person to mess with you a new one, and even large groups of teenagers (you know, the 'well 'ard' types) will be like the Red Sea to Moses as you approach. I wear a perma-scowl on the street, which helps convey the 'don't mess' image. Using this front does not imply that I go around giving it the large, but rather, I go about my business quietly and in the most direct manner, showing no fear and quiet determination. Attackers hate a confident target.

I stay alert. I always know what's going on around me with regards to where a person is, and what way they are facing. My ears are my best surveilance equipment, as I have super-sensitive hearing.

Using the sun as an early warning system can give vital milliseconds too, I find. When the sun is low, and you walk with your back to it, the shadow of a person will reach the corner of your vision long before they are in arms length, for example, and as knives are the preferred tool, this is obviously an important thing to note.

As for carrying a weapon? Well... I don't need to in my current situation. Nobody on my manor messes with me, and vice versa. This is partly due to the front.

As for in house security, my place is a fortress in so far as I know all the defence points of the place, eg where and where not to swing that ornamental Wakizashii. I have a few other 'ornamentals' dotted about, and I do a perimeter sweep every night.

Oh... and in my place I also have limited manual surveilance gear to give a bit more scope

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
On the firearms issue. I guess it's a good thing that the UK does not have firearms availabale to it's citizens....keeps crime down in the long run.

But at this point that would not work in the US. There are too many guns on the streets now and outlawing them would only leave the law abiding citizens defenseless against against a bunch of thugs that ALREADY have illegal guns....the problem is not the reg cits that have guns...it's with the gang bangers and punks that have illegal guns.

There are too many guns on the market now (both legal and illegal) and in circulation to ban guns....anyways, it's part of American life I guess...I'm all for legal gun ownership.

Sporty

[edit on 29/6/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I cant resist posting this story here, sorry if its out of line.

A few years back my freinds grandmother's house was broken into, she was a Farm Girl from Russia, tough as they come.
She beat the hell out of the burglar, then placed a side by side into his mouth and called police. The Police arrived and took the burglar into custody, who ended up being a known and wanted Rapist as well.
He was convicted and jailed for decades. The Police still visit granny occasionally for coffee and her cakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join