It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im looking into buying old laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Hi,

im looking into getting a laptop "for school" hehe*

cheap one around 250$

seams like itll be about 366mhz to 400mhz 94-128mb ram

now, will it be fast enf to surfe the internet with ease running win 2000 or xp?

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
Hi,

im looking into getting a laptop "for school" hehe*

cheap one around 250$

seams like itll be about 366mhz to 400mhz 94-128mb ram

now, will it be fast enf to surfe the internet with ease running win 2000 or xp?

Yes but just barely. 2000 will run better than XP for sure. Get a 400 over a 366 if you can though cause the bus speed of a 400 will be running at 100mhz and the 366 will be at 66mhz. That is the speed of the Motherboard btw. You'll want more memory too if possible. 128 minimum for 2000 or XP.

Or you could just run 98se.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   
thanks,

im so used to running good/beast decktops i just cant inmajen using a mear 400mhz

its just for word and internet, i love the 2000 windows core way better then crash 98

i think im ganna have to get 256mb for it to run good at all, and i bet ill have to buy a nic card too..

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
thanks,

im so used to running good/beast decktops i just cant inmajen using a mear 400mhz

its just for word and internet, i love the 2000 windows core way better then crash 98

i think im ganna have to get 256mb for it to run good at all, and i bet ill have to buy a nic card too..

No Problem...Laptops are Fun!!

Except for the stupid touchpad mice things, I hate those!! I always have an external mouse plugged in if possible.

256megs you should be more than fine. Especially if it's just gonna be for school stuff...(yeah right, that's what everyone says at first...
)

I'd stick with 2000 also, it's much better than XP. Not nearly as bloated with useless crap and 2000 does officially run faster too. The NIC should be no problem either, them babies are cheap and pop right in. If no slots are open there are always external usb NIC's too. If you buy the RAM yourself or want to save a little dough putting it in yourself you can do that too. It's real easy to put in extra RAM. The memory for Laptops are expensive though so be prepared. Although RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, but it will be more than normal DIMMS because of the tiny size and all.

Anyway, have fun with your new toy!!

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
thanks for the help

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You might be able to get more bang-for-your-buck looking into Apple iBook's on eBay. Macs tend to age better as the OS is less demanding than Microsoft and basic tasks like word processing, web browsing, and e-mail all work fine even on 8 year old macs. Also, there's no danger of viruses.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   
dont even get me into MACS

I like macs but i like windows more..

so i dont have to relarn the mac os and so i can bring any kind of program i want into windows..

to aboid viruses be smart and also get AVG anti virus and outpost firewall

youll be very safe with that setup... i have a 1996 mac and it cant do SH*T

i used imacs at my old school HATED them but i bet the reason they crashed every 10 mins is becouse the dumbassed computer guy dint keep it updated...

hell i tryed to update to the newwest browser and almost got sospended

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I just got it

its 366 p2 224ram 10gighd

im setting it up now, its IBM thinkpad 600e,

now, when its on with the DC powercord should it also be charnging at the same time??

damn i hopoe the bat ant dead

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think to the best of my recall, the IBM thinkpad 600e, when connected to the DC power supply would only recharge the laptop when it was turned off, otherwise it bypasses the battery and runs directly of mains elec, hope that helps.

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Dohboy is correct far as I recall...same for most laptops.. Just remember, if you ever need to tinker around inside...they are a whole different ballgame... Be carefull with those keys if you open her up....they can be a bitch to get back on for most models...

I usually want to kick my laptop (Sony Vio) to the curb most times, but it's work provided...so....

I rarely even bother trying to use a dial up, and resort to it only as a last resort...otherwise, I use the Ethernet PC card to connect to high speed (which most clients have)....

Make sure the battery stays charged long enough....(as they get older, the memory effect causes them to lose charge capacity...) You may even look into getting a spare battery, while you still can...
Some models feature the ability to carry a spare battery in a drive bay (greatly increasing your active time....)

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
i got a NEAT cat5 to USB addapter works great

it dose have another place to put somthing in the bottem, but whats that for is anyones geuss...

anyone know were i can get a free PDA formate manule??

i looked and found them, but the download links dint work

and it seams it barly has the power to play videos

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   
videos?

Probably a limit of the video memory...more RAM may improve this...may not...

Spot on the bottom might be for a secondary battery...

Try Dogpile for searching for that PDA manual....

new topics

top topics

join