It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Iraq perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if it has.

The Real Iraq

Written by a journalist called Amir Taheri, the article addresses the author's perceived differences between what he has observed on the ground compared to what has been published in the media. His end point is acknowledgement that the situation in Iraq is messy, but that the overall situation has steadily improved since the US-led invasion of 2003.

It is another perspective that will add to the debate here on ATS. I hope you find it interesting, and worthy of discussion.

Will

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Great read. Thanks and from an Iranian nice source.

Mod Edit:: AM, please check your u2us.

[edit on 30-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the thanks (hope you didn't get hit too hard for the one line post!)

I'm a little surprised my thread hasn't gotten any real responses. Given the usual level of debate on the Iraq topic, I would have expected at least a few responses of "this is rubbish, if we hadn't invaded their would be no mess" leading to "this shows that things aren't all bad, and from someone who has actually been there and isn't military" (I actually decided not to mention that he was Iranian in the initial post, but I think it is quite important as he represents someone who does understand the culture of the region).

Maybe the article isn't controversial enough. Maybe everyone is more happy to discuss the occupation forces more than the actual situation?

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the article, Will. It was a fascinating and worthwile read - nice to get a fresh perspective on the Iraq situation.

This is not to say, however, that I agree with all of it's conclusions. One thing is perfectly clear: the situation in Iraq is so damn murky right now that none of us really knows what's going on, and the best we can do is, well...speculate. That is what everyone's been doing since this whole thing started.

Regardless of how people spin the data, American troops continue to die in Iraq. I just got done reading the ABCnews.com summaries of troop fatalities there, and I count about forty as of June 27. Practically all of them are the result of IED's, and it makes me wonder, are Iraqi citizens getting paid for placing them on the roadsides? That's and interesting question, and relates to what may have occured in Haditha late last year. Has killing coalition troops has turned into a profitable blood-sport? I suspect that the true state of Iraq today is one in which every political faction, ethnic group, and individual is looking out for their own interest above all else. This is the natural order of things.

I would also like to point out that the percentage of voter participation is NOT always a reliable indicator of progress. During Vietnam, increasing voter participation among South Vietnamese was touted by the Johnson administration as evidence that we were winning the war.

The funny thing is this: although this war is definitely NOT the same as Vietnam in terms of casualty numbers and logistical aspects, it IS nearly the same in terms of the kind of political commitments that we've made.

Remember, by 1968 most Americans knew the war in Vietnam was a disaster, whether they were willing to admit it or not. Still, it took us another five years to come up with an acceptable means of withdrawl by way of the cease-fire agreement of 1973. What makes us think that we can stop this war? Even if both the Democrats and Republicans agree it's time to leave, our claws are sunk so deep in this conflict that I'm afraid we'll be there for years. Once started, a war like this isn't something you can just "turn off" at the push of a button.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856

Maybe the article isn't controversial enough. Maybe everyone is more happy to discuss the occupation forces more than the actual situation?

Nah I'm new so they just told me the one line rule....

The reason you have not gotten more of a reponse is because its a positive article. However its only a matter of time before someone reads it and is disgusted by its positiveness and claims that the iranian who wrote it is a disinformation agent working for the zionist section of the NWO.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
"Written by a journalist called Amir Taheri, the article addresses the author's perceived differences between what he has observed on the ground compared to what has been published in the media. His end point is acknowledgement that the situation in Iraq is messy, but that the overall situation has steadily improved since the US-led invasion of 2003."

I am inclined to disagree with the journalist on this one. Onkly because I have seen the numbers etc. coming out of Iraq. Death tolls are stedily rising more and more attacks are happening on a daily basis. Other journalists who are in Iraq now say that their life expectances aren't very good over there.

The war in Iraq can't be won militarily not unless you kill a majority of the population. Over 60% thinks it's alright to blow up the marines and other occupiers. This is not a sign of improvement.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor

The war in Iraq can't be won militarily not unless you kill a majority of the population. Over 60% thinks it's alright to blow up the marines and other occupiers. This is not a sign of improvement.

I'd be carefull with poll numbers... For all we know the poll was taken in the heart of insurgency country WE don't know the demographics behind the numbers. The war in iraq has been won militarily. Now its a matter of the Iraqis standing up for themselves and they are doing so. The tactics employed by the terrorists are great for drawing news coverage but nothing more.

For all the sensationalistic violence the media reports the country is forming and comming together as a people more and more sunnis are joining up with the government. No one said ok as soon as saddam is gone everything will be perfect and infrastructure and decades of oppresion take time to fix.

The rising death toll is not an idicator of progress. Hell alot more people die in america everyday from violence and natural causes.

Whats more important numbers, or someone who has seen the situation first hand. The numbers btw aren't that bad. Even though yes behind each number there is a person and a family and that sucks.

top topics

join