It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR15 or Mini14 ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Was just curious if you people know which is more accurate ?
I want to purchase one but I would like to get the more accurate one.
I would think that the AR15 is becuase there are so many aftermarket
barrels for it but thats where the human opinion comes into play.

Cug

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Stock the AR-15

But if your going aftermarket, well both have a ton of stuff for them so I'd say they would be equal.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have a mini-14 and it is fun to shoot but when the barrel get hot it losses accuracy. I don't like their sights too. The front blade is too large.

It's great for social problems that might arise but it "ain't no tack driver." Hard on scopes too.

Check out the AR's at Rock River Arms, I'm waiting on them to get the AR-10 in production.

Roper

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
AR-15 is inherently more accurate but I suspect the Mini-14 is more reliable.

The AR-15 is more expensive and generally looks more attractive IMHO but the Mini-14 is relatively affordable and has a LOT of aftermarket options for it including stocks with pistol grips, folding stocks and about everything in between, it's about as customizable as the 10/22 .22LR rifle.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I've heard plenty of bad things about the accuracy of the Mini-14 (from local gunwriters)... if you're looking for selfdefence tool or a plinkker it's good. But the accuracy isn't good enough for hunting at longer distances...

But it's a nice gun and seems to handle well, but then again i've only test fired it with 3 rounds

I'd go for an SKS...

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
Was just curious if you people know which is more accurate ?
I want to purchase one but I would like to get the more accurate one.
I would think that the AR15 is becuase there are so many aftermarket
barrels for it but thats where the human opinion comes into play.

Snicker, Squirrel or Woochuck?

Seriously, for target practice a lot will depend on the range, your preferred shooting stance, available ammunition and the optics. If pure accuracy on paper targets is your desire, iron sights are not worth the time if you are not shooting at moving targets. The AR-15's superior muzzle diffuser and gas system along with slightly longer barrel will give a more consistent performance if you don't modify it.

If you want a longgun for hunting or anything seriously sporting, you need a much larger caliber and practice with the recoil and weight which a human killer popgun cannot provide.

For so-called 'home defense' there are much better options in terms of safe storage and ease of employment which are also less likely to go through a wall into the house next door or several blocks down the street. Ammunition costs to maintain proficiency can also not be ignored.

KPl.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Ch1466

.223 is perfectly good caliber for hunting larger birds and in varminting, my choise would be a bolt action rifle, but a good AR-type rifle will do.
Allso ARs are pretty popular in IPSC Rifle shooting and they can be used in 300m target shooting practice (no change of winning a contest, but it's a good started caliber)

I agree that a scope is a good thing, but iron sights are usable up to 300m for a man sized target, for a coyote you need a scope.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This topic is line is about the AR 15 or Mini 14 series of rifles. THese are both .223 or what is called the 5.56mm caliber.

The bullet selection will make somewhat of a difference in the performance of these rifles..but alot of that has to do with the rifling twist in the barrels.

Unless you custom fit the Mini 14 I believe the rifling twist is pretty much standardized.

The AR 15 series can be ordered with different types of barrels from the factory and consequently different rifling twists per so many inchs of barrel. Alot of variety offered here in this series of AR 15 rifles.

As I recall the slower twists shoot the lighter bullets much better and the faster twists shoot the heavier bullets better ..so you have alot of spread in performance if you even know this information.

THen again ..what do you want these rifles for?? For what kind or degree of performance are you needing this rifle in this caliber . Target shooting..defense..hunting. One poster was quite correct in this point.

Keep in mind also that the AR series of rifles are today..coming out in larger calibers.. 6.8 Grendel, 6.5 SPC. Also today they are coming out in versions in .308 caliber or what is called by the military 7.62x51 mm.

THese new changes make a huge leap in performance and potential with these new cartridge offereings.

Keep in mind also ..that the Mini 14 series also comes in 30 caliber..in what is called 7.62x39...which is in potential close to a 30-30 Winchester.

My point is that you may not desire to own one of these rifles in the standard .223/5.56mm caliber.

I own two .223 caliber Mini 14s. Some of the posters are correct in that they are not as inherently accurate as the AR 15 series of rifles. Keep in mind also that the AR 15 series of rifles are considerably more expensive than are the Mini 14s.
ON the other hand the Mini 14 rifles are reliable. Not quite so with the AR15 series of rifles without considerably more maintnence/cleaning.

I have never desired to own a AR15 because for most of the time I could never afford one verses the Mini 14s. Now that I can afford one I still dont want one. I have moved my shooting philosophy over to accuracy and reliability. This means bolt actions or single shots. I am not into shooting alot and making alot of noise at the shooting range. But this is just me...you guys decide for yourselves.

I also own a bolt action rifle in .223/5.56mm. Now if I want excellent accuracy from this caliber I switch to this rifle. It is a heavy barreled bolt action with a adjustable trigger. This makes for considerably more accuracy. For this rifle I make special handloads with accuracy in mind..verses the Mini 14s where I shoot mostly full metal jackets. Northwolf and I are in agreement here.

I hope his helps the original poster in this thread..it can get confusing. Suggest that anyone looking to decide on what type of purchase ...get some magazine articles on these rifles ...dont rush..do your homework here. Weigh out the options against your true needs...information is power. Also read articles on these two rifles on the web. I am sure alot of articles have been written on these two rifles...their strengths and weaknesses...do your homework here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Being curious, I went to Guns America to price AR-15 and the Mini-14. Cheapest Mini-14 was 499 NIB, cheapest AR-15 was 659,NIB( Olympic arms plinker) Looked like a standard 2A carbine to me.

Roper

new topics

top topics

join