It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Summer Holiday" Marriage, New form of Prostitution in Saudi Arabia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
A growing trend amoung Saudi Arabian men is to marry a women for a short period of time while on vacation, so as to have them for a sex partner, and then have no contact with one another upon return to Saudi Arabia. Most often it is between a businessman and a businesswoman who are going on a long term business trip. These marriages are in addition to any other marriages that they maintain at home.

photo copyright Sabine Korth

sabbah.biz
Some of the Gulf Ameers put condition that the Saudi woman for such marriages should be from a rich powerful and known families, white skin, pretty face, sexy and accepts to travel with him anywhere in the world, specially during summer, she should have good command in English, and the pay (Maher) is not less than 150 thousand Saudi Riyal plus a car and a top class villa.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Quite incredible really. Apparently there are multiple types of marriages and conditions and restraints upon them by the religious authorities in Saudia Arabia. These are not illicit affairs, or a code word for an affair, or a secret marriage, they are legally and religiously recognized marriages.
Within the muslim world, there are many types of marriage apparently. The practice is apparently ancient, as there is a sunni version, and a shi'ite version, Nikah Misyar and Nikah Mut'ah, respectively. According to mythos, Mohammed sanctioned these types of marriages for his band of men as they spread Islam in far off lands, indicating that the practice existed before Islam.
Marriage brokers can make the arrangements, want ads in special circulation magazines, and dating websites that cater to these traveling marriages, permit planning.

Apparently part of the justification seems to be that a young woman, if she went abroad on her own (or was even permited to do so by the government), would undoubtedly have her virtue questioned upon return, indeed, who wouldn't question it, in any society. So the way this society deals with that is to have her properly and piously married, for the time abroad, thus preserving, if not her virginity, at least her reputation.

For the record, other sites report this article as stating its occuring in Yemen, and/or Saudi Arabia

Related News Links:
www.alarabiya.net (original arabic language article)
www.women24.com (explains the marriages in more detail and context)
www.ysaa.org
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Honor Killings.
Gay Marriage Ammendment?
Muhammad's New Hobby: Girlfriend Burning
Survey: 61 percent of British Muslims want Sharia courts

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Nygdan]

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well, interestingly enough they call them "marriages" Here they are merely cheap, sleezy, low rent affairs.

Same difference, different name.

They have a different culture there and suits them fine. When in Arabia, do as Arabians do, i suppose. I dont agree with it, but wont lose sleep either.

Am i missing a much deeper point to the story?

I dont mean offense at the author, its an interesting story.

[edit on 28-6-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think that at some twisted level they are trying to justify their trysts by "marrying" the women, dg. But it's nothing more than prostitution, no matter what they call it.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
People get married here and are divorced in a matter of hours or days. Whats the big deal? Their culture allows for multiple marriages...whats the big deal about this? Whats the intent of this post? Is it to imply the muslims are any worse then some americans or Euros? How long was Carmen Electra married to that basketball player? How long was the little redneck singer from Louisiana married to her best friend for? A day? Before we go pointing out things elsewhere maybe you should have a look from within first. Not that quickie divorces are a problem but I think we have MANY problems in America like homelessness, education, health, political corruption and more important things we should worry about before we go critisizing other cultures. Try sticking to America and let the saudi's worry about their problems.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My only intent is that is interesting, bizzare, and newsworthy. The editors and voters agreed, at least, that it was newsworthy. I am certainly not trying to say 'those arab savages, if only they had Jesus they'd stop living in sin' or anything like that.

Indeed, thepieman makes a good point. These marriages apparently can last for quite a while, and fidelity is demanded within them. In the US, we've made entertainment shows out of 'which marriages have lasted the shortest', and most of them can be counted in days.

Hell, it sounds like one of these Traveling Marriags is more meaningful and long lasting than any of britney spears' marriage, and people idolize her. *shivers*

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I also wanted to add how many American men and women that marry for Immigration purposes and are paid, as well as men that order "Mail-order" brides that use them for nothing else but sex-toys and slaves from 3rd world nations.

Pie

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
How is this news? So, people are getting married, and its within the law. Who cares?

-- Boat

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Boat-

They're not getting really married. Its "lets pretend" stuff. At least not very practical, since they are already married in the first place.
Men! Anything for a ride! I am not blaming them, though. The women are very willing participants.

I wonder if they tell their "real" wives the truth about their little side marriage?

I think not.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The article stated that it wasn't "pretend" in any way, and that it was a real marrige allowed by Islam, their Society, and the law. So, what's the problem??

Why blame the men? It's a contract between two people!

-- Boat

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Great. More power to them.

Whatever floats their boat. No pun intended

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I don't think we need to 'blame' anyone. Its a fascinating thing. We wouldnt' 'blame' a ufo for showing up, we'd take note of it.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
They do this in Iran too, and not just because they are overseas. This happens inside the country. And, even though many Muslim societies have outlawed polygamy, there are individuals who will still try to have it for their own pleasure like in this article. Pakistanis try that as well.

But, this is no different from the "serial monogamy" that occurs in Western countries.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is an interesting practice! I don't see any problem with it at all. Not saying I'd want my husband to do it, but if they're all adults and they agree on it, I don't see a problem with this. (Am I agreeing with Boatphone???
)

And even if this is a form of legalized prostitution, I say if it works for them, is within their law and their religion, I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course I don't have a problem with prostitution, either.

I agree, Nygdan, it is fascinating.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So if the pay is 150 thousand riyals, a car and a 1st class villa, I wonder if there any nice Arab women that would like an old desert rat like me. Im not doing much this summer.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Legalized prostitution? Hardly. Legalized prostitution is paying a few hundred dollars or less for sex in Las Vegas, USA or Amsterdamn, Netherlands, and many other European nations. This is more of a respectful thing. These woman are not going around saying hey sucki sucki five dolla!! I believe it is a mutually recognized and respected thing by their own spouses for cultural purposes many Westerers would not understand. I certainly do not approve of it, but I can say I understand it to a limited extent with relevance to their particular culture.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
So if the pay is 150 thousand riyals, a car and a 1st class villa, I wonder if there any nice Arab women that would like an old desert rat like me. Im not doing much this summer.

150,000 Saudi Riyal = 39,997.9 US Dollar
That'd be about 2 weeks worth for my services LOL The car better be nothing less then a Benz D or E Class.

Pie

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I wonder if there any nice Arab women that would like an old desert rat like me.

It is against islamic law for muslim women to marry non-muslims (but it is permissible for non-muslim women to be married to muslim men).
Of course, I think that there are still non-muslim arabs in the arabian penninsula, so maybe you can get hooked up with one of them!

dyepes
many Westerers would not understand.

And that many muslims do not understand. The article is from a muslim apoligists blog, and he is the one calling it prostitution. It is muslims in Iraq that had outlawed the practice also.

Its pretty clear what it is. Its a way for people to have sex casually in a society that thinks sex is a dirty little thing.

can say I understand it to a limited extent with relevance to their particular culture.

Indeed, culturally it makes sense. Some cultures, as a rite of 'manhood' have young men sodomized by their elders. Some cultures have it so that a woman has many husbands, but each husband only one wife. Some cultures worship trailer-trash that can kinda-sorta sing and has marriages that are counted in minutes.
C'est la vie.

To be clear, my title calls it prostitution, I only have that title because its the title of the article.

thepieman
The car better be nothing less then a Benz D or E Class

You'd think that they'd include a months worth of gas or something too, considering that they own most of it!

[edit on 30-6-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I see it more in-line with Nygdan's post. The impression I get is that Muslims tend to paint 'The West' as immoral degenerates and my impression is that they tend to hold themselves as morally superior. Not all but in general (so put your flamers back in their holsters). Marriage is a permanent social contract between two (and in some cases) multiple people. The temporary nature of this clearly defies the definition of marriage. For my money it's just a thinly veiled (no pun) justification for hanky-panky. If it walks like a duck... you know the rest.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508 For my money it's just a thinly veiled (no pun) justification for hanky-panky. If it walks like a duck... you know the rest.

For my money, if we had more hanky panky and less macho strutting around we would be in much better shape than we appear to be presently. quack, quack...

"let he without sin, cast....you know the rest.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I agree with you, whaa... wholeheartedly.

Of course I'm nobody's moral authority.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join