It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Caliber Important in a Handgun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was thinking of picking up a new handgun for general range fun and personal defence the other day, and the choice of calibers was bewildering.

Even if you restrict yourself to semi-auto handguns I found:

.22LR
.25ACP
.32ACP
.32NAA
7.62x25mm
.357SiG
9x17mm
9x18mm
9x19mm
.40S&W
.45ACP
.45GAP

The list seemed never ending.

Which one would you choose, and why.

Thanks

Retseh

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Retseh]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You forgot the two semi-auto choices

.50 AE - Desert eagle
5.7x28mm -FN Five-seveN

I prefer the 5.7x28mm I own a PS90 which fires that same round and love it and planing to get a Five-Seven when I have so more cash. The 5.7x28mm AP will pass through both sides of a Level IIIA body armour.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The old, the true, the proven...

.45 ACP.

It's meaty enough, it's a proven, reliable caliber, and commonly available.

If you don't have one already, a wheelgun in .357 Magnum is probably your best friend. Consider it seriously.

DE

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Theres nothing like the hand held minigun for some home protection !

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I prefer the 5.7x28mm I own a PS90 which fires that same round and love it and planing to get a Five-Seven when I have so more cash. The 5.7x28mm AP will pass through both sides of a Level IIIA body armour.

Interesting, but is Armor Piercing ammunition legal in handguns ?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yes, if you are a hitman, a small calliber like a .22 is a more effective than a large caliber, because a large calliber bullet could exit cleanly (head-shot) and miss the important parts , where as a .22 will bounce of the inside of the scull and make a fatal mess of the brain. calliber will determin the distance of a shot, but you will need a longer barrel to keep it accurate at a longer distance.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
In my opinion you should look at the following points when deciding what size bullets you need :

1) What do you need the gun for becuase this will determin the stopping power you need hence it will automatically narrow down your choices.

2) How much are you going to use your gun. For example are you just going to keep it by your bedside for safty which would then mean you buy a box of 50 rounds and it will last you hopefully a long time.

On the other hand are you also going to use it for target shooting at a shooting club/gallary in which case you will have to figure out how many rounds you want to shoot and how much you can spare in money to purchase the ammunition.

Some types of ammunition can be very expensive while others like 9mm can be very cheap. So make a choice of how much you are going to use it.

It's pretty simple just figure those things out and you automatically narrow down you ammunition types. Although other factors can also come into play when deciding the above 2 will drastically reduce your choices to allow you to make the best choice.

I must add the type of gun you are going to use it in should also be considered. Sometimes it better to stick to the smaller more controllable ammunition with less recoil if you have a small framed gun while it okay to use more powerfull ammunition with larger framed handguns.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Personally I picked the .40S&W but boxes of ammo are 7.70 dollars per box of 50 at their cheapest.

the 9mm would be the best choice, the cheapest ammunition (3.50 dollars per box of 50) and is one of the few bullet types with the best stopping power for it's price.

if money is no considderation a .40S&W, .45ACP, .357(sig for pistols or magnum if you don't mind revolvers) would be the best choice for self defense.

the .40S&W's recoil is a bit snappy but the .45 should be more pleasant (albeit a bit more expensive).

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Interesting, but is Armor Piercing ammunition legal in handguns ?

Well is depends on what you consider armor piercing ammo.

In the case of the 5.7 x 28 mm in the case of the armor piercing bullets which have a tungsten carbide or steel core they are only available for "military and law enforcement only"

The civilian 5.7 x 28 mm rounds like the SS197SR are still able to pierce Level IIA body armor though its not legally recognized as armor piercing by the ATF

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

UZI oozes sex appeal

Perfect if your not a very good shot

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Full auto microSMG is the WORST choise if you're not a good shot...

.40cam or 9mm Para are the best in my opinion, .357Sig is good, but i have no first hand experience.

Revolvers are a good choise for a protection and they are more accurate than semi autos. .38/.357 revolvers are good for starters.

.22 Is a useles caliber in self defence, unless you plan on shooting people to the back of their heads. (un beatalbe in that
)

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf

shows what i know about guns.

I just know if someone with one of those in their hands and no sense of aim i,d rather be somewhere else anyway

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
thread about this subject:
How to defend Yourself on a budjet

With Micro Uzi a bad shot probably gets the first 2 rounds into the area he's aiming at, rest can be found at the ceiling

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I've heard that 9mm is a poor performer compared to .40 and .45, is this true.

Also, what type of sight arrangement would you recommend, 3 dot, notch and post, bar dot, Ashley Express, ghost ring, partridge, and would you add Tritium to the chosen combo for low light shooting, I guess that would be Meprolights or Trijicons.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Always, always add the night sights. I'd go for U-notch and post, it's the most common thing on handguns.

And yes, though you'll find any number of 9mm apologists here, I find it is a poor performer compared to the golden standard of manstopping- the .357 Magnum.

DE

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Always, always add the night sights. I'd go for U-notch and post, it's the most common thing on handguns.

Thanks, but except for Glocks and SiGs, almost everything I saw at the gunstore had 3 dot combat sights (H&K, Beretta, Taurus, Walther, Kel-Tec, Ruger etc).

Isn't u notch and front post a target sight (unless you mean like a Glock - outlined U rear with a dot front, aka cup and ball).

Now I only have to worry about triggers
SA, TDA, DAO, Safe Action, DAK, LEM, Quick Action etc.

I obviously have a lot to research

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yeah, I mean like the Glock. Single action for the trigger. If you can afford it, I'd suggest the USP in .40 or .45.

DE

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
USP is a good gun if you have largish hands, for a smaller person it's a bit too big...
One sugestion is the new Steyr pistol, it fits my hand like a glove...

A good bang for the price is CZ 75... or 97 if you like .45s... i highly recomend those

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
1911 is simple enough... don't get night sights, they make longer range shooting distracting... i know the majority of self defense is close up, but consider just using stock sights. Kimber Custom is an excellent gun, and so are Springfields. I also have an XD-.40

1911's are excellent. Accurate, not heavy (wouldnt call them light though.) and very comfortable to shoot.

for caliber, dont get anything less than a .40, except for a .357 magnum. You don't want to need more than one shot, and a larger caliber reduces the risk of needing 2 or more shots.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
XDs have been reported to have bad barrels, at least on the early poruction runs... just be sure to check them before buying

bury the 1911, it's an old war horse, but there are better guns out there and 1911s usually need some sort of tweaking before they work porperly... even the more expensive ones... and fitting new/repair parts to 1911 is allways a tricky job.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join