It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

holy crap!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
ok... i was outside taking pics of chemtrails, and i stopped by my cornerstore and took a pic of the huge ELF tower. And there is a sign with a number on it. so i called it, and i asked why they needed soo many 'cell phone' towers everywhere. they said "to keep us happy." and i said "dont they put out a lot of radiation" and they started gettin all pissed, and then asked for my name and number. I was like.. i dont want someone to call me back, i wanna talk about it now. ANd they persisted for my number, so i got freaked out and hung up. then like 5 mins later... they called back!

i hope they dont come by my neighborhood and spy on me or nothin....

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Nice pictures, and dont worry, i highly doubt they would "come to your house and spy on you"

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They're right. People don't want to be in an area where their cell doesn't work. The only way to keep that from happening is to have major coverage which means lots of towers.

As for the "radiation" from the towers:

The energy from a cellular phone antenna, like that of other telecommunication antennas, is directed toward the horizon (parallel to the ground), with some downward scatter. Base station antennas use higher power levels than other types of land-mobile antennas, but much lower levels than radio and television broadcast stations. The power density decreases with increasing distance from the antenna. As a result, the level of exposure to radio waves at ground level is very low compared to the level close to the antenna.

Public exposure to radio waves from cellular phone antennas is slight for several reasons. The power levels are relatively low, the antennas are mounted at high above ground level, and the signals are transmitted intermittently, rather than constantly.

www.cancer.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
MY concern here is why they persisted, harrased you and called you back??? Isnt that number on that sign an invitation to call??? For anyone to call? Be it a good or a bad call? A complaint? A compliment???

They wont come after you, but you might write them a letter and tell them to remove the sign or take it like a man/woman.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
MY concern here is why they persisted, harrased you and called you back??? Isnt that number on that sign an invitation to call??? For anyone to call? Be it a good or a bad call? A complaint? A compliment???

Actually, calling a customer service rep and being evasive, etc on the phone could also be considered harassment. It's a two-way street.

They always want a phone number for record-keeping and for callbacks. Most people probably don't realize that they ask (even though they have caller id) because they want to be polite and they are REQUIRED BY LAW to keep a record of all calls, which means as many details as possible.

If you called them and then got all evasive to some simple questions, then you end up being more of a prankster than anything. Want to know the truth? Call, give them your name and number. They will give you all kinds of good info, like no...there is no harmful rays and they need so many towers for digital coverage (one tower per mile).

Anyway, my two cents but when you call a business...you have to be straght with them. Quid pro quo and all that.

GSA

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That really is a freaky thing to happen!

But on the other hand, your lucky your Police didn't roll round to your home and knock you about a bit for making harrasing calls /crank calls ! You harrassed some one at work who asked you for details, you didn't respond, so they were right to be concerned. here was a person at a cell tower making crank calls about radiation levels - So in this big brave world maybe they thought you were a terrorist or a threat to Home Land security and a menace to cell towers US wide....

Your lucky your not in Gitmo orange for being a terror suspect.

On the other hand they may have just wanted to save you money on your phone bill - calls are expensive for you, free if you own the network.........

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Agreed ZZ..

The number on the sign appears to be for T-Mobiles NMC.

I work in an NMC for a large Telecoms firm in the UK and if a member of the public called up and started getting shirty (seeing as we are NOT customer facing), I'd be a little ruffled myself.

Even if you "withheld" your number, give me 5 mins and I could get your number anyway.

Give me another minute and I could probably get your address. we have ways and means, you know

I am not surprised they called you back, they probably want to know what your doing at the base station.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Agreed ZZ..

The number on the sign appears to be for T-Mobiles NMC.

I work in an NMC for a large Telecoms firm in the UK and if a member of the public called up and started getting shirty (seeing as we are NOT customer facing), I'd be a little ruffled myself.

Ditto. And I used to work for....*gasp* T-Mobile!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Ditto. And I used to work for....*gasp* T-Mobile!

Just wait for the accusations of a cover-up on ATS now....

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
No, no one is gonna come spy on you. They wouldnt bother with you. Im sure they get loads of calls every friggin day like yours. They probably wanted your name and number so they could log in your complaint to their database. Or they figured you were just some nut calling to bother them.

Either way, every customer service and complaint center Ive ever called always askes for your information because, well, thats just standard.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well, i think this is just a big to do about nothing. I wouldnt have given my number either. From the sound of the poster of this thread, i t sounded to me like they were defensive when a complaint came in. Anyway, what do i know, i wasn't there.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I wouldnt have given my number either.

Like I said above, if you call a telecoms company, they know your number. Simple. Witholding your CLI only prevents the person your calling from seeing the number. the CLI must still be visable to all networks involved in the call for billing to take place.

If a call traverses a network at any point, even for the briefest of hops, the company owning that network can get your number easily, as well as lots of other info.

Seeing as you called their NMC, it is reasonable to assume that the call went over their network, hence them getting the number.

[edit on 28/6/06 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yes, you're right. I have a little bit of a hot head. I see your point.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Yes, you're right. I have a little bit of a hot head. I see your point.

Call any business like that. Try a pizza place. Say you have a pizza and ask if they are putting poison in them. They will want your number too. No big mystery there.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
They do put poison in pizzas it's called trans-fat

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Zed,

Now THEM i'm afraid of. I call and they say : And mrs, G., what would you like us to deliver today at xyz33 rd, in Hyannis?

THAT's creepy.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Exactly how much radiation would one of these cell towers give out if you were a few metres from one for about 10 minutes? Perhaps even 15.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
i guess i got a lil freaked out earlier...

but it wasnt right for them to call back ...

i wanted to speak with someone on the spot, i dont see the need for someone to call me back, and i dont need to use my name to those people either...

there is no need for this many of these towers. I have counted at least 20 or more per mile...

but noone has come to my place to ask questions or nothin...

at least not yet

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Exactly how much radiation would one of these cell towers give out if you were a few metres from one for about 10 minutes? Perhaps even 15.

No more than what you get off wireless broadband, TV signals, Radio etc.

It's one of these urban myths that they are dangerous. Truth of the matter is, if your worried about Cell phone towers, then you should be worried about a whole lot more.

Calling it "Radiation" is misleading too. Whilst it is EM Radiation, it isn't insofar the same radiation that we think of when we look at nuclear power etc. It's just (really low wattage) EM signals.

Radar is far more dangorous than Cell phones. My dad used to cook his dinner with the portable radar sets they had whn on exercise with the British Army.... now, thats testicle cooking bad radiation!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Ahh, good. And yeah I know most of the stuff is non-ionizing radiation, but you can't be too sure. When I climbed down (not saying I climbed up in the first place
) I saw a sign saying that you must shut down a whole lot of transmitters before heading up the ladder. It worried me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join