It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by fritz
Shame on you 'semperfortis', shame on you.
"truth is, I don't care how you feel, not one small bit. For though you are irrelevant to me,"
Terms And Conditions Of Use
1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
* James Baker III, former United States Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, Staff member under Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, Carlyle Senior Counselor, served in this capacity from 1993 to 2005.
* George H. W. Bush, former U.S. President, Senior Advisor to the Carlyle Asia Advisory Board from April 1998 to October 2003.
* George W. Bush, current U.S. President. Was appointed in 1990 to the Board of Directors of one of Carlyle's first acquisitions, an airline food business called Caterair, which Carlyle eventually sold at a loss. Bush left the board in 1992 to run for Governor of Texas.
* Frank C. Carlucci, former United States Secretary of Defense from 1987 to 1989; Also, former Princeton wrestling partner of present US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. Carlyle Chairman and Chairman Emeritus from 1989 to 2005.
* Richard Darman, former Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget under George H. W. Bush, Senior Advisor and Managing Director of The Carlyle Group from 1993 to the present
* William Kennard, Chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under President Bill Clinton, Carlyle's Managing Director in the Telecommunications & Media Group from 2001 to the present.
* Arthur Levitt, Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under President Bill Clinton, Carlyle Senior Advisor from 2001 to the present
* John Major, former British Prime Minister, Chairman, Carlyle Europe from 2002 until 2005
* Frank McKenna, Canadian ambassador to the United States and former member of Carlyle's Canadian advisory board
* Mack McLarty, White House Chief of Staff under President Bill Clinton, President of Kissinger McLarty Associates, Carlyle Senior Advisor from 2003 to the present
* Anand Panyarachun, former premier of Thailand, former member of the Carlyle Asia Advisory Board until the board was disbanded in 2004
* Fidel Ramos, former president of the Philippines, Carlyle Asia Advisor Board Member until the board was disbanded in 2004
* Park Tae-Joon, former prime minister of South Korea, Founder/Honorary Chairman of POSCO
The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 (or OBRA-90) was designed to reduce the United States federal budget deficit.
It increased income taxes by creating a new 31 percent individual income tax rate, but capped the capital gains rate at 28 percent. Personal exemptions were temporarily phased out through 1995.
The tax limit cap on Medicare taxes was raised from a $53,400 income to $125,000 in income. Itemized deductions were temporarily limited through 1995.
The gasoline tax was temporarily extended and increased through September 30, 1995. Air transportation excise taxes were extended and increased through 1995. The telephone excise tax put into place in 1898 as a tax on the rich was permanently extended.
It was signed into law by President George H.W. Bush on November 5, 1990, counter to his 1988 campaign promise to not raise taxes. This became an issue in the presidential election of 1992.