It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had a milion dollars....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What would you do?

Buy a pack of Royal chewing gum

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
buy the empire state building

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
If I had a million dollars -- which, frankly, isn't really that much money (certainly not enough to buy the Empire State Building) -- I would pay off my debts; mortgage, Visa etc. Then I would make a few long term investments. I would probably have more than half left.

With the five hundred thousand dollars that I have remaining, I would start a foundation that would sponsor the arts; writing, art, poetry etc. There are so many worthy and talented "artists" many of whom are driven to work at their craft which often leaves these people financially impoverished. I would hope to enable artists to work at their fields of interest while living, at least, at a decent economic level.

I believe, like the sciences, that art is vital for humanity. The arts feed the soul of humanity.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well, I really hate to say this, but a million bucks is not a lot of money where I live (all of use live actually). Certainly not enough to quit working, maybe enough to start a business.

Here is what I would do:
#1 Sell my condo and buy a decent home, maybe $400,000 ish (that’s a basic middle class home in my area). Now my house is 100% equity and I don’t have to pay all that interest.

#2 Put $100,000 into a 401K of some sort (worth millions by the time I retire)

#3 Put $100,000 into my kids college fund. He is just 2.5, so that will compound nicely.

#4 Pay off all me and my wife’s debt, maybe $10,000-12,000

#5 Buy some “toys” $200,000 ish. Couple cars, a nice 25’ Boston Whaler, home theater, nice stuff for my family, etc.

#6 Bank the remaining $190,000 or so.

What this does: Saves me about $3000 per month in mortgage and savings, so now my paychecks are more valuable even though they didn’t increase. Also: $600,000 of what I spent is still mine, just in the form of a home and some savings plans.

Yup, that’s what I would do.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well, I would deffinately do the smart things that Skippitjc and benevolent tyrant mentioned (pay off debt, invest some money, buy a house etc.) but I would also have to go buy an exotic sports car - always wanted one. Not sure which one I would get as I know the shopping experience would be much different if you are actually going to buy vs. wishful shopping.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
welllll considering I dont have debt, I'd probably buy an insane car. Get a house built. Out of good will I'd probalby make a hefty donation to ATS considering its been my life for like the past year.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
by my self a vanquish
and then cruise down my town

invest the rest

[edit on 29-6-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'd pay off mine and my husband's debts, including our house and cars (roughly 150,000 total) put 100,000 in a high yeild account, put another 100,000 in an account for our son, waste 150,000 buying things I want but don't really need, quit work long enough to get my degree (which should happen in the next two years if I bust my butt doing it) and then stick the rest in savings. 1 million isn't a lot, but I bet I could make it stretch since I'm so cheap most of the time!

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
lol.

I'd go to school so i can have alittle side job or whatever. Then I'd fix myself up. I'd by myself some property in some deep woods somewhere in out west, or maybe up in minnesota, and build a house. In this house Id have this huge library of all the greatest books you could think of. I'd buy every great album ever made. I'd have a church built somewhere and then maybe I'd give a tad to family.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!?!??!!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!?!??!?
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!?!???!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!??!?!!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT!?!?!??!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!?!???!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT?!??!?!!
ONE MILLION DOLLARS ISN"T ALOT!?!?!??!

Listen here, homies, I will never even SEE one million dollars with my eyes, let alone hold it, let alone ACTUALLY HAVE IT!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I'd dump about 75,000$ of it into my 79' Firebird.

About 400,000$ on a modest house and some decent furnishings and whatnot.

About 10,000$ into a severely tricked out computer.

Bank about 300,000$ of it. The rest I would trade in for it's actual gold worth, and then store the gold somewhere. After all, if the economy collapses in my lifetime, which it most likely will on current trends, gold would be a heck of alot more valuable than paper money i'd wager.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Would invest it and live off the intrest.
Would also hold the biggest party this planet has ever SEEN !!!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Put a deposit down on a 3 bedroom house somewhere half-decent. I might have change after that for some sweets or drinks, but that's not certain with some of the extortional house prices these days :shk:

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Well...

first i would see all my family and friends right with 20,000 each, not enough to dramatically change their lives but enough to see them take that holiday and pay the car off etc.

By now i would probably have half left.

I would give 100,000 each to 3 charitys, one for childrens diseases, one for the planet, and one for an earth based charity.

with the last 200,000 i would throw the first ever ATS communitygathering in central europe, then complete my commercial pilots licience, pay of my mortgage, establish 2 or 3 more web based businesses and take a much deserved holiday with my family some where peacefull like vietnam or bhutan.

i would then make flying my career and live happily ever after. (after buying an aerobatic plane for kicks at the weekend)

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
i'd buy myself a 2007 altima, a 4 bedroom home (i want a family SOMEDAY), and i'd pay off whatever debts my family has. assuming i had about 250k left, i'd give 50k to each branch of my family, leaving me with enough money to marry the woman i love, and in the style i want. big ass diamond ring, HUGE wedding, and an absolutely ridiculous reception.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'd build a headquarters for my army.

The Jesus Army - Now Recruiting

We Need You!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
I'd build a headquarters for my army.

The Jesus Army - Now Recruiting

We Need You!

....eva sue? is that you?

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
If I had a million dollars...

I would get it changed into GBP!

£ FTW!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Set up a chariatable trust fund.

I'd love to have that sort of money to be able to give away to those down on their luck, charities, disaster relief etc etc .....

(Actually, I'd hold on to about £50,000 to pay off my debts and give me a wee nest egg so I wouldn't have to worry about money for a few years)

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
If I had a million dollars...

I would get it changed into GBP!

£ FTW!

what did you just say?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join