It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Makes Earth Wobble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Intersting article, I knew the earth wobbled but I never really knew why, I figured that it was gravity pulling from the sun or Jupiter, but weather?

I guess a large amount of water pulled into a low pressure system over the ocean and in the air in the form of rain clouds over a small geographic area would put extra weight in that spot and could cause a the earth to wobble?

I wonder if the spot on Jupiter makes that planet wobble?

Weather Makes Earth Wobble

By Bjorn Carey
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 26 June 2006
01:05 pm ET

The location of high- or low-pressure centers and the relation of these systems to each other played a measurable role in generating small, short-term wobbles, the scientists report. Moving weather systems caused the pole positions to swing in small loops ranging from the size of a cell phone to a sheet of paper.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
you'd think that weight compared to the weight of the planet would be negligable

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I suppose this article kinda supports the jpl.nasa release dated back in 2000.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Considering how thin this outer layer of the earth is compared to total mass i´m kinda surprised it can have such a huge impact, well, relativily speaking. I almost find it even more surprising that it is possible to measure a 20 feet drift at the pole at all.

join