It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who still use 666 - Ignorant or What?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Why do so many people insist upon the incorrect assuption that 666 is the number of the beast? Is it ignorance or just flat out ignoring fact?

I'd really like to know because I'm still reading post after post about how "666" is relevant over a year after the facts revealed the number to be "616."

www.worldnetdaily.com...

Please, enlighten me. Are people just ignorant or what? Can we cease with the whole 666 business at last? Or at least if it's going to be used through neccessity, can a those who realize it's not the actual number put some sort of disclaimer in there to maintain a hint of credibility?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, I guess the lack of replies is my answer.

People just ignore what they don't want to see.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
666 is just a superstition and something used to scare people,ect. It has been over used and is very stupid.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
from the article it said and i quote:

"Scholars in England have been using modern technology to scour some 400,000 bits of papyri which were originally discovered in 1895 at a DUMP outside the ancient Egyptian city of Oxyrhynchus."

Has anyone considered the reason why it was found in a dump is because it was TRASH?

There are NO facts being revealed that John really meant 616.

The fact that Revelation expands mostly on concepts and symbols found elsewhere in the bible, we should use the bible to interpret Revelation. Is it coincidence that there is no mention of 616 mention in the bible and yet 666 is found 4 times in the bible?

1 Kings 10:14 - Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold.

What's more ignorant, someone who is gullible enough to believe what one scholar says concerning the bible without checking out the facts for themselves or researching it like the bible tells us to do...

Acts 17:11 - These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

It is only through prayer and the God's guidance that we can all come to a conclusion concerning all things that have to do with our salvation, and not some scholar, priest, or pope.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shortness
Has anyone considered the reason why it was found in a dump is because it was TRASH?

There are NO facts being revealed that John really meant 616.

I think it's just as naive to assume that because it was in a dump that it was trash.

And actually there's quite a few facts. I will start gathering them up if anyone cares to hear them.

Originally posted by Shortness
It is only through prayer and the God's guidance that we can all come to a conclusion concerning all things that have to do with our salvation, and not some scholar, priest, or pope.

Well, I wouldn't really say Revelation had anything to do with Salvation. It was a tome written by a hallucinating Rome-hating nutter in a cave over a hundred years after Jesus died in a codified language. Most of it can be attributed to popular opinion on the Roman Empire at the time, and their eventual fall.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This is all rubbish. Beleive me that 66 and 616 and all the numbers of the beasts were made a long time ago to scare kids and people and make sure that they stayed faithful to the church. Still cool tho.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Well, I guess the lack of replies is my answer.

People just ignore what they don't want to see.

Oh...I don't think it's totally ignored.

And it gives me the opportunity to plug this story as well.

Just as an aside, I really enjoy your posts, thelibra. Don't let the chirping of the crickets get you down.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The correct number is has not been demonstrated to be 616. What we have is a document, a copy of John's apocalypse, that says the number is 616. That doesn't actually demonstrate that it is 616 instead of 666.

Of course, it does demonstrate that whatever the number was, its meaningless, since the text can clearly be edited.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm sure it's been changed several times over the years. The bible has been edited quite a few times. Sometimes they add books, sometimes they subtract them, and sometimes they retranslate it which tends to change the meaning of the words. The version that I've read did have 666 in there quite a few times, but it wasn't the original version of the actual text I'm sure seeing as how I can't read hebrew or aramaic.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
1) The book of Revelations clearly states Six hundred threescore and six as the number of the beast.
2) worldnetdaily is NOT a reliable news source.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
DD, while i agree that worldnutdaily is junk, the article is correct, there are older texts of John's apocalypse that state 616, rather than 666. It could be that the 616 text, while older is the incorrect one though.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Superstutions die hard.. just the other day a lady bought something extra because the total came to $6.66. And instead of eyeing her purchase, she eyeballed me like it was my fault! (me being the cashier)

Besides that, whether or not it 'makes sense' isn't an issue to those who believe in it. Faith doesn't require sense, be it common or otherwise. The religion touts it, and since people follow (have followed, probably will continue to follow) they will take what they hear and enter it into their brains as truth.. with no grains of salt.

*shrugs* To each their own.

P.S. What gave me a hearty gut laugh was people getting worried about June 6th.. which only coincides with 666 on the gregorian calendar.. which (if I remember) not everyone on this earth uses. But people were sooo sure that the day was marked and the world was gonna end..

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Well, I wouldn't really say Revelation had anything to do with Salvation. It was a tome written by a hallucinating Rome-hating nutter in a cave over a hundred years after Jesus died in a codified language. Most of it can be attributed to popular opinion on the Roman Empire at the time, and their eventual fall.

Let's consider a few things from your statement and see if we shouldn't consider that Revelation has any revelance to our salvation or your insinuation that John was hallucinating.

1. The very first verse of the book says "The revelation of JESUS CHRIST"
Now if Jesus has nothing to do with our Salvation then you got me there.

2. Out of the 404 verses in Revelation, 278 of them can be found in other parts of the bible.
I'll provide an example in hope that maybe you'll have a different perspective other than that John was high that day.

e.g. Revelation 1:16 - And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

John must be crazy, he was refering to JESUS and saying Jesus had a sword in his mouth... but was John speaking literally? But then if you look at...

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Now does that make sense? John said in Revelation 1:16 that Jesus had a sword in his mouth and that sword represents the word of God

Anyone who reads the book of Revelation as a novel will not understand a thing.
Heck, the bible tells us how to read the bible....

Isaiah 28:13 - But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Now when John started seeing beasts coming out of the sea and the earth, was he still hallucinating? Were they literal beasts, or maybe just maybe, they were a metaphor for something else kinda like the way the twoedge sword was used? Lets check the bible.

If you are familiar with the book of Daniel, Daniel had a vision about 4 beasts with different characteristics, and it goes on to explain what the beasts were.

Daniel 7:23 - Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.

Maybe John wasn't so crazy afterall.

Thelibra... we can agree to disagree, but i want you to keep in mind the fact that the Jewish nation had the Old Testament to prepare themselves for the coming of the Messiah. They read in the books about the story of Joseph, who was one of 12 brothers, how he had his robe taken away, and sold for the price of a slave, and afterwards thier brothers dipped his coat in blood (Gen. 37) What happened then? Joseph forgave his brothers and got them through the famine in Egypt.

Then look at Jesus life and how he was sold to Judas for the price of a slave, how he had 12 disciples, got his garments taken away from him and still forgave those that trespassed against him.

Then look at the story of Abraham and Isaac. This story prophecized what would happen to Jesus. God knew that one day he would have to offer Jesus for the price of sin.

The Jews knew all this, they heard the stories growing up, and when it was fulfilled in Jesus life, they still didn't see him as the Messiah, and Jesus put it clearly that they could not see the sign of the times.

So too will it be in our time. Most of the Jewish nation was not ready for Christ 1st coming, and most Christians will not be ready for Christ 2nd coming, even when we have the Word, because you think that John was high when he wrote Revelation.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain 666 is a reference to the Roman Emporere Nero, and not the devil himself. But Nero himself was a screw up, the man who did nothing as Rome burned. But I'm pretty sure that the whole 666 number is a reference to Nero. I need my pastor to explain that one agian, that was some complicated translating.

new topics

top topics

join