It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea may have plutonium for 13 weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
North Korea may have enough nuclear material to make as many as 13 weapons according to recently released study. The study which was performed byformer U.N. weapons inspector David Albright looked at satellite imagery as well as media reports and official statements. At this time the study concludes the state does not have enough for its own needs and is unlikely to sell the material but that situation could change in a few years. If the counties 50 megawatt reactor is completed its ability to produce weapons grade plutonium would increase by a factor of 10.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - During President George W. Bush's administration, North Korea has gone from having enough plutonium for one or two nuclear weapons to having enough for as many as 13, a study released on Monday said.

It concluded that the reclusive communist state, whose threat to test a long-range ballistic missile has spread concern in Washington and in Asia, could have more than 17 such weapons by the time Bush leaves office in early 2009.

The study, authored by former U.N. weapons inspector David Albright, was based on analysis of satellite imagery indicating activity at the five megawatt nuclear reactor at Yongbyon, media reports and statements by North Korean officials.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have said it one and I will say it again. North Korea is the result of 20 years of failed US policy. Its no wonder why Iran wants to have nuclear weapons. Look at all the deference that Kim gets because of it. The Iranian president is simply mirroring what worked in North Korea in my opinion. At some point, you are simply going to have to go in and take down North Korea’s production capacity. If in a few years they begin selling weapons grade material this issue will become a true nightmare where any Tom, Dick, or Harry with hard currency will be able to get bomb material at his or her whim. The manufacture of the bombs themselves is not as hard as people think. It’s the inability to get the material that has hampered efforts.

[edit on 27-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
North Korea bought its nuclear (weapons) know how from the Pakistani nuclear market, and God knows who else did as well. That is known, not speculation. In all actuality the nuclear beast was let out of the bag years ago, and in that, there are no inncoent parties. Taking North Korea out simply is not a realistic option no matter how much the Rambo wannabes would like it to be so and with all the axis of evil Rhetoric, the unprovoked invasion of Iraq and the like, leaders (evil or not nd Kim certianly is a bad one) realistically consider it an ace in the hole. And, while I do not support them, I honestly cannot blame them in the real politik sense of it all.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Check out the tin wiki page on donald rumsfeld for more interesting information on where North Korea got started on Nuclear power.
www.tinwiki.org...
You`ve gotta love the guy...sigh

new topics

join