It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright, I hafta ask.. *Why* do you shave?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
who wants to wax me?

(no guys....especially not pickle)

It depends, what exactly do you need waxed?

I couldn't imagine waxing underarms. That would really hurt!

[edit on 7-7-2006 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Aren't you the girl who said "Eeek, wax it off!!!! The same goes for chest hair. I don't like it at all."

Yep. That was me.

It seems I am capable of getting over it when faced with an amazing set of abs. Who knew?

I now amend my comment to read 'I don't like it when it appears that a man is Sasquatch's cousin.'

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The notion of a man being clean-shaven and short-haired pretty much started with Alexander the Great and his army. They were a fighting bunch, and Alexander figured (rightly so) that hair was just something else an enemy fighter could grab you by and kill you. Smart thinking. And after that, with the Romans and most armies thereafter, short hair for the military became pretty much the norm.

As time went by, being shaved and shorn became associated with having a good job (in the army), being virtuous and honorable and willing to take orders and defend the kingdom and all those other things associated with being a good military man.

So here we are, 3,000 years later, and that association of honor and trustworthiness with being clean-shaven and short-haired is still hanging on. Most people don't know the reason for it, but they just know from "common sense" that them danged long-haired hippie freaks are no-good, lazy, bums who can't hold a job and won't listen to orders.

People are stupid.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That's better. I'm no construction worker!

I was also told by a couple of girls that it's sexy to touch, hmm you don't know until you try

[edit on 7/7/06 by SteveR]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
im in high school,(im a guy) all the guys there are all like yo i got a goatee blah blah crud like that right? right. BUT these are the same guys who shave their legs armpits and arms!!!! so does anyone know why guys would shave their arms and stuff, as for women i guess its to look attractive

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

That's better.

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

I was too busy looking at Andrei's picture. Purely in the name of research, of course.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Great!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Being a guy , the only reason I shave if my wife wants me too.
If I were not with her I'd not shave, grow a huge beard, and dread it.
When i met my wife I had a goatee down to middle of my chest that was
breaded and wrapped. That was many moons ago.
Now theres bearly hair om my face.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Male body hair doesn't bother me in the least bit, unless it's facial....either grow the beard or keep it shaved. It's too poky when just stubble.

You are the first woman here to say that! You

I actually "really" dig hairy chested men..thick hair...thick like moss! LOL
I like running my fingers though it! I'm kinda old fashion? I want my guy to look like a guy...and that includes body hair.

[edit on 7/8/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Wow

Well, I truly agree, guys shouldn't be afraid to look masculine..
but the media is to blame for all our body image problems.. for women especially.. but I know a few guys (me included) who prefer real women over supermodel types

Anyhow glad to see your sort around Jen!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i'm a guy and i trim my leg hair...beyond hygeine, i find it aesthetically pleasing (as well as to the touch). my girl has really light, blonde hairs, so she gets away without shaving for almost a week before i start to bitch about it, but she's generally on top of it.

i could never date a girl with beast-legs. just couldn't. i'm brainwashed.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I only shave my facial hair. Only because when it start getting a little long I don't really like the feel of it. I like the feel after it gets shaved off. I like the hair on my face to be pretty short or to have none. I just feels better to me.

I shave when I start to look like this:

-tts

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i have some extraordinary chops, man. that's the only facial hair i don't shave. i wanna get everything below my neck lasered, to be honest. body hair just kinda grosses me out.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Wow

Anyhow glad to see your sort around Jen!

Now my daughter on the other hand- think's body hair is disgusting on men. I still don't get why a lot of girls today freak out over it. It would have never been a deciding factor for me if I truly liked a guy. Theres too many other critical deciding factors....to my way of thinking- to pick on body hair!

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I would say it is a preferance and a cultural thing, some people like hairy people but others do not.

I remember watching an episode of "Surviver" with a large group of friends and relatives, when a female contester raise her arms to reveal her overgrown arm pit hair. Alot of people just went "eeewww!". Hair can become untidy when ignored for too long, a cleanly shaved person does not have to worry about long or untidy hair.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
The notion of a man being clean-shaven and short-haired pretty much started with Alexander the Great and his army. They were a fighting bunch, and Alexander figured (rightly so) that hair was just something else an enemy fighter could grab you by and kill you. Smart thinking. And after that, with the Romans and most armies thereafter, short hair for the military became pretty much the norm.

As time went by, being shaved and shorn became associated with having a good job (in the army), being virtuous and honorable and willing to take orders and defend the kingdom and all those other things associated with being a good military man.

So here we are, 3,000 years later, and that association of honor and trustworthiness with being clean-shaven and short-haired is still hanging on. Most people don't know the reason for it, but they just know from "common sense" that them danged long-haired hippie freaks are no-good, lazy, bums who can't hold a job and won't listen to orders.

People are stupid.

I had long hair (to my nipples) the first 6 weeks I was in the army and can confirm Alexanders statements. It's a hassle (but a pain to cut once it has gotten to that length). The "clean look" is way gone though, I rarely shave more often than every 14 days. Isn't that what soldiers are gonna look like though, all battle worn and raggedy?

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

I listen to orders.. so long as there is a good reason behind them. 'Because I said so' doesn't count. (Just ask my father..)

True Virtue is not decided by one's outside appearance... altho society certainly pushes that idea. (Of course, I grew up watching commercials about the starving ethiopian kids.. now it's cool and hip to look like them, to be able to count ones ribs! .. wtf??)
The most honest, virtuous people I've met were some seriously scraggly looking, greasy people! And those who are clean cut and very (self) conscious about their appearance.. well, in my experience they were not to be trusted.. let alone honored.

Honor and trust are earned.. they are not freely given based on appearance. At least not from me... One must do deeds of merit to gain honor.. and I highly doubt that soaking up advertisements of the latest fashion is worthy of merit or honor.

The only time that I've had the notion of respect for the act of daily grooming is old skool martial arts.. because the hairstyle itself was not important, but the will to follow thru with the act of self-care, which was a sign of the individual's dedication and the mindfulness necessary to the martial art. That.. *that* is noteworthy of respect. ..that and the serious amount of butt they could kick..

I respect anyone, sure. I am civil and cordial to any random person I meet. But the level of respect changes depending on their actions , not their appearance. I don't care if they match, or if they trim their hair.. Act morally correct, and you earn your honor and trust and respect.

Me having hairy armpits and gorilla legs can denote whatever to the general public. I don't care. I've given up caring..
I know that I am a good person, and anyone who knows me will say the same. And if society cannot see past my hair, ink, piercings and mis-matched holey clothing.. who's loss is that? seriously..

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
i'm quite sure you're not concerned, but there's not an arabs chance in the white house of anyone i know ever sleeping with you.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
As a guy I have to say women with hairy underarms and hairy legs are unattractive to say the best, but that is most likely a cultural thing. I have known a woman (not romantically) who refused to shave her underarms because she said she chaffed really bad and the underarm hair was meant to prevent that.

But yeah, I prefer women without body hair...if you don't like shaving try waxing! :lol:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a cynical response to this might be that women and men alike, shaves all those excess hairs to distance themselves from our ancestral monkeys..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join