It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright, I hafta ask.. *Why* do you shave?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
but i have doen it ever since i saw that first lil hair appear on my leg and my brother coming at me with a pair of tweesers screaming Pluck the chicken!

*lmao* Now that.. that's priceless!! I'm gonna hafta remember that one...

I don't have any siblings, so I missed out on all those fun and wacky adventures..

It's funny, when I look back on school.. in grade school, I had hairy legs and no one cared. In fact, I was asked out more then.. (too bad I didn't know what they meant by 'would you go out with me'..) It was in middle school that I was called Gorilla, and that's when I began shaving.

I've got dark hair (thought I mentioned it.. eh, maybe not..), so I guess I do live up to my inner ape. My mom doesn't shave her legs, and she's got fine blonde hair. Of course, she doesn't wear skirts or shorts either.. When I did shave, I never wore shorts.. so no one saw anyhow.

I do wonder what we've changed as far as our body works.. bugs hate to land on me because they can't get a decent footing. I'd think that because the pores are not open, less germs can get in.. but I don't know.
My Opa (Grandfather in Germany) takes a bath once a week, "whether he needs it or not".. and he rarely gets sick. In fact, he's healthier than any person in the American half of my family! The man is 78! and fitter than the horses he tends.
In theory, if your pores are clogged, then germs can't get in. It creates an extra barrier..
Of course, now-a-days, we'd never admit to that..
What? Not take a shower every single day? No soap? No shampoo and conditioner? BAH! PFFT! and EWW!
I'm still not convinced that our 'mandatory' methods for a germ-free society are the best.. we are, after all, animals.. and how else are our immune systems to fight germs if they never get practice? (I'm with George Carlin on that one..)

I will say that I'm with y'all on back hair.. chest hair is one thing, but when the hairline creeps below the shirtline.. a definite eye catcher. I've only seen one man with that, and while it was moderately gross, it didn't really matter because he was a very nice and intelligent man. He knew his stuff and knew how to teach.. which was a breath of fresh air!

My confidence has grown since I stopped shaving.. not sure if it *had to* because of my choice (who else will hold my head up if not me?), but I am more willing to hold my head up high to prove the reason that I'm happy not following the s.o.p. of society. It's also an interesting people barrier and conversation starter..

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Diseria]

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I feel very unclean if I don't shave daily. I started shaving because that's just what girls in this country are taught to do, but I've continued shaving because I feel gross if there is even a stub of hair on my entire body. Excluding my hair and eyebrows that is.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I cant imagine not shaving.

Sis i remember you telling me about that.

On a man I personally cant stand armpit hair. Leg hair is okay. Armpits i would wax shave pluck, a little bit on a man is okay but anymore than a few i get the hot wax! *evil eyes*

On women if they want to be free and not shave good on them!!

But i cannot stand it on myself. Horrible ewwww. When it is cold i can leave my legs for a few days but i like the silky feeling of my legs and the feel of the sheets against them.

lol sounds like i am promoting washing power!

Na i like the soft feeling not hairy feeling.

Oni x x

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I shave almost everywhere because I see hair as disgusting. I'm also sure that future evolution will leave use without hair. The biggest use for hair today as I've understood it is for pheromons.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
my iguana doesn't have to shave, and she's gorgeous

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bracke
I shave almost everywhere because I see hair as disgusting. I'm also sure that future evolution will leave use without hair. The biggest use for hair today as I've understood it is for pheromons.

Do you shave your head too?
I'm assuming not... altho please correct me if I'm wrong.

So... Why not? Why is *only* head hair okay?

And future evolution depends on what happens to the environment.. if we become hairless wonders.. and, say, the atmosphere changes to allow for more UV rays.. we'll be wishing for more hair. (And, in fact, those who are born with more hair will end up having more children because they can survive better.) If we end up living underground.. yeah, then we'd be pasty white, hairless, and blind.. which would be ironically funny, since no one would be able to see our smooth skin!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Shaving is cultural. I started shaving because it's just what girls here do. If I let my legs go for a week they start itching.... I guess much like a mans face itches.

I can't imagine having body hair like a man....plus it saves on the deoderant...my husband has really hairy pits.... and all that hair goe's through a bottle of "deo" 75 % faster than I do..because it cakes in clumps on the hair. Male body hair doesn't bother me in the least bit, unless it's facial....either grow the beard or keep it shaved. It's too poky when just stubble.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I shave almost everywhere because I see hair as disgusting.

I'm with Bracke on this one. I'm a 30 yr old man, and I shave for the same reason .. I find it disgusting. Arms, Legs, Pits, Face, Fingers. I am lucky enough to be one of those guys that aren't real hairy like some men are, so I don't have to shave my back, chest, feet or toes. No hair anyway. And I do shave my head .. I use to shave it clean, but that's a real pain in the ass on a daily basis, so I keep it shaved at the very lowest settings on my clippers. Same thing with genitalia .. The lowest settings on my clippers work well enough for that area as well. I don't shave my eyebrows, eventhough I have once or twice in the past, but I do keep them neatly trimmed. My wife helps me out and plucks them for me to keep them cleaned up.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Male body hair doesn't bother me in the least bit, unless it's facial....either grow the beard or keep it shaved. It's too poky when just stubble.

You are the first woman here to say that! You know in the 60s and 70s, this had the opposite attitude that it suffers from today. I blame the media, and feminine guy models

As for women, I would never ask a girl to shave, and if she wants to be her natural self, then all the more power to her!

I also think the topic starter asked us not to moan about how gross some of us think it is, although most peeps on the thread are doing that.

[edit on 7/7/06 by SteveR]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital Zombie

I shave almost everywhere because I see hair as disgusting.

I'm with Bracke on this one. I'm a 30 yr old man, and I shave for the same reason .. I find it disgusting. Arms, Legs, Pits, Face, Fingers. I am lucky enough to be one of those guys that aren't real hairy like some men are, so I don't have to shave my back, chest, feet or toes. No hair anyway. And I do shave my head .. I use to shave it clean, but that's a real pain in the ass on a daily basis, so I keep it shaved at the very lowest settings on my clippers. Same thing with genitalia .. The lowest settings on my clippers work well enough for that area as well. I don't shave my eyebrows, eventhough I have once or twice in the past, but I do keep them neatly trimmed. My wife helps me out and plucks them for me to keep them cleaned up.

Well, I gotta admit.. that is a first. The only guy I ever knew who shaved his legs was a cross-dresser. Not saying you are, but just sayin'.. Every other male I've known was either proud or indifferent to their own body hair..

I'm curious tho.. has anyone ever called you feminine? ever questioned why, if/when you wear shorts, you have no hair on your legs?
Do you feel as accepted as a male in this culture? (And while my questions sound weird, I mean absolutely no offense by them. I'm just curious, since I'm referred to as masculine, simply because I don't look feminine.. so I'm curious if you find the opposite to be true?)

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Removed crass, sexually oriented post.

Terms And Conditions Of Use
1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

[edit on 2006-7-7 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I shave because of the cultural thing that we are supposed to shave.
I like the feel of silky smooth hairless skin. I like it on guys too, but it's rare to find a guy that shaves or removes his body hair, and isn't a total "metrosexual".

I know that may sound offensive and I apologize, but I couldn't find a better way to say it. It's just a personal preference.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yes, it's cultural.

It's also cultural for men to find hairless armpits and legs sexy or beautiful. Just as it's cultural for some African tribal men to find chin plates or earlobe holes sexy and beautiful. It's exactly the same thing.

A man doesn't have any more body odor than a shaved woman, just because he has hair under his arms and on his legs. That's a misperception. Deodorants and antiperspirants work on hairy armpits, too!
Although I don't use them.

I haven't shaved for probably going on 20 years. Once I really though about what I was doing and WHY, I quit. Same with make-up. Same with just about everything this culture pushes as making women sexier and more beautiful for men.

I'm clean, I smell good and I look great. If people are offended that I don't buy into the entire cosmetics industry, and that I don't buy that it's my duty as a woman to primp and paint myself to within an inch of my life, that's not my problem.

I don't have any problems with people (men or women) who shave or wax. To each his or her own.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria
Well, I gotta admit.. that is a first. The only guy I ever knew who shaved his legs was a cross-dresser. Not saying you are, but just sayin'.. Every other male I've known was either proud or indifferent to their own body hair..

I'm curious tho.. has anyone ever called you feminine? ever questioned why, if/when you wear shorts, you have no hair on your legs?
Do you feel as accepted as a male in this culture? (And while my questions sound weird, I mean absolutely no offense by them. I'm just curious, since I'm referred to as masculine, simply because I don't look feminine.. so I'm curious if you find the opposite to be true?)

No, I've never been called feminine or had my sexuality or sexual preferences questioned because I shave. If someone does find the need to ask me about it, I just tell them why I do it and that's pretty much it. I'm not a little dainty guy, but I'm sure that if I was, more people might to label me as a homosexual. I'm 6'3" 325lbs.

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
I shave because of the cultural thing that we are supposed to shave.
I like the feel of silky smooth hairless skin. I like it on guys too, but it's rare to find a guy that shaves or removes his body hair, and isn't a total "metrosexual".

I know that may sound offensive and I apologize, but I couldn't find a better way to say it. It's just a personal preference.

No offense taken, but I'm far from the "metrosexual" type. The only thing I wear is shorts & flip flops or athletic pants and shoes.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
A man doesn't have any more body odor than a shaved woman, just because he has hair under his arms and on his legs. That's a misperception. Deodorants and antiperspirants work on hairy armpits, too!
Although I don't use them.

If that was directed at me...lol...That's not what I said. I didn't mean men have more body odor, I said women use less deo under their pits than men, because the hair rubs off more product than a hairless pit....meaning it takes less product, and saves money!! Just clarifying

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I never ever sweat and most hairless guys I've seen, sweat tons.

I'm a bodybuilder, and if I went for the ultra smooth look, I'd probably end up being called a metro, or homosexual, and neither of those are true. I think hair can look good on guys, personally I'm trying to go for Andrei's look.

en.wikipedia.org...:Andrei_Arlovski.jpg
www.amtc-wa.com...

What do the ladies here think of that?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I checked out the pictures and I've gotta say, Andrei is kind of hot!

I prefer him with the more clean shaven face, like this picture.

While he doesn't fall into my usual preference of men without body hair, he's totally doable.

edit:
I hope that doesn't count as a crass sexual remark. :shk:

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Aren't you the girl who said "Eeek, wax it off!!!! The same goes for chest hair. I don't like it at all."

Now this is getting interesting

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You know what it is thats gross about underarm hair and anti-persperants?

When a guy wears a solid...and then lifts his arms up, you can see it dangling from his hair. Yucky!

[edit on 7-7-2006 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
who wants to wax me?

(no guys....especially not pickle)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join