It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death The Grim Reaper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have been told to put a link up to who wrote this article even though it was me. but here is a link to the site. www.shanry.com...

Death to many is something to fear because its the great unknown, it comes with a sinister stigma or image, many cultures and religions all over the world have ways of coping with the one thing all men and women will one day have to stand face to face with, the greatest of unknowns "Death".

The fact is that we are ALL going to have to take the plunge of death. Through out time human kind has delved into the deepest and darkest places in there minds and imaginations to try and find an answer to death, or to give it a face and to better understand that dark and frightening thing that we all put to the back of our minds, but know that one day we will all have to take the plunge into that "dark" unknown.

Quote Reference.

[edit on 27-6-2006 by Faeden]

[edit on 27-6-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Have you been reading Terry Pratchett? Just wondering

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hi

No I have never read one of her/his books in my life no. Its just my observations from what I have read up on the belief of the Grim Reaper.

I want to know does anyone really believe in this entity?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I am the writer of Shanry.com
Its my work.

www.shanry.com...

I am Barry Stevens

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I can't speak for anyone else on this site, but personally I don't believe in the Grim Reaper. Of course I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I just don't think that when it's my time to go there's going to be some hooded shadowy figure that takes my soul to whereever I'm going when I die.

That's just my .02

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I came across an interesting site a couple of years ago. The site has, what they say, are true first person encounters with Death. Now either these people have really overactive imaginations, have hallucinated their encounters, or they truely believe what they say.
Here is the site- www.westgatenecromantic.com...
Some of the stories sent shivers down my spine.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faeden
Hi

No I have never read one of her/his books in my life no. Its just my observations from what I have read up on the belief of the Grim Reaper.

Personally I don't believe in it/him/her no, I think its just one of many ways man has tried to explain/come to terms with death.

You may be interested in reading Pratchetts stories about Death. Very humourous and thought provoking at the same time. Heres a link to a Discworld reading order guide. Although Death usually makes at least a cameo in every Discworld book, his own stories start with Mort.

link

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I don't belief in the Grim Reaper as presented by most stories either. However I do believe in "Judges" which are similar to the "Grim Reaper".

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Isnt the Grim Reaper just a branch off of the ferryman Charon of Greek mythology?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully

Originally posted by Faeden
Hi

Personally I don't believe in it/him/her no, I think its just one of many ways man has tried to explain/come to terms with death.

You may be interested in reading Pratchetts stories about Death. Very humourous and thought provoking at the same time. Heres a link to a Discworld reading order guide. Although Death usually makes at least a cameo in every Discworld book, his own stories start with Mort.

link

Thank you
I'll keep my eye open for that.

GSA

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What an excellent thread.

I died for twenty minutes in 1987 during an operation. I was met by this beautiful women, robed in deep purple, with black hair and the most intense violet coloured eyes. She held out her hand and i stood to go with her. i was scared but really happy, and have never felt more at peace ever. I asked who she was, but she just laughed and said that she was the one who was sent to travel with me to the next life.

It affected me deeply ever since, but i have a deeper inner peace because i now believe 100% in a really beautiful after life. only growing old scares mee deeply, getting weaker and feeble. Death on the other hand fills me with a joy tinged with sadness - will i meet my family or friends who have died, and will my husband be with me? becasue I love hm more than any thing ever and can not bear to think we would be apart in the next life.

Sorry, I get soppy when i think of things like this.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
GSA

For what it's worth, I believe you have very little to fear as far as missing loved ones(i.e. your hubby) in the next life. If indeed there is a next life(which I think there is), I believe that we actually group or seek out those souls who touched us deeply in our current lives. That is to say that we in this life probably are surrounded by souls that we have known in various forms for quite some time in past lives.

I do however believe that when you pass from this current life, much of what makes you "you"(in your own self image currently) will fall away. I believe there is no "self" as we think of "self" while here, rather we are a much more grounded and ego-less form before entering life and having societal influences shape our current image of "what makes "me", me".

So what I'm getting at is even though you and your husband may not be the same in the next life, you have probably comforted eachother many times before, and will do so in the future

I know there are no "facts" to back up what I've said here, but I hope it gave something for you to reflect on and find comfort in!

X

As far as the main topic. No I don't believe in the reaper, I think it was a way for man to give a situation(death) a face with which he could identify with.

Craving is the cause of suffering, so too in this instance. Craving the taste of this life so badly, man created the reaper as a face of death to try and come to grips with his suffering from his eventual loss of life. Sadly, that face does not dispell suffering, it merely makes it more apparent and gives his fears(suffering) more focus. We are strange critters indeed!

X

top topics

join