It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President says New York Times is disgaceful

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Thirty years ago this month, President Nixon picked up his Sunday New York Times on June 13, 1971 to see the wedding picture of his daughter Tricia and himself in the Rose Garden, leading the left-hand side of the front page. Next to that picture, on the right, was the headline over Neil Sheehan’s first story on the Pentagon Papers, “Vietnam Archive: Pentagon Study Traces 3 Decades of Growing U.S. Involvement.” Nixon did not read the story (so he says on tape in his 12:18 p.m. phone call with Alexander Haig)

On Monday evening, June 14, Attorney General John Mitchell warned the Times via phone and telegram against further publication; and on Tuesday June 15, the government sought and won an restraining order against the Times – an injunction subsequently extended to the Washington Post when that paper picked up the cause. The epic legal battle that ensued culminated on June 30, 1971 in the U.S. Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision to lift the prior restraints – arguably the most important Supreme Court case ever on freedom of the press.

Source

The conservative establishment HATES the Times. Notice how they tried to use the same bunk argument to stop having "The Pentagon Papers" released due to "national security."

Now they are trying to label the Times as "treasonous".

Of course, they didn't sing that song when Judith Miller came out with her piece in the Times about WMD's in Iraq. Those people at the Times are so liberal! I mean, they basically provided one of the biggest supportive pieces for this administration to go to war in Iraq. What traitors!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zappafan1

especially in a time of war.

If there was a WAR , there would be another ARMY....

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Zappafan1 called the Constitution

an old piece of parchment [posted on 6/27/2006 at 12:16 PM (post id: 2304203]

Your belief that the Constitution is just a piece of parchment explains your attitude toward the principles the Constitution embodies. Its value is in the concepts expressed, not the material they are writen on. Thanks for clarifying that. I was in disbelief that an Amercian citizen could believe the things you were speaking. Now I understand. You played hookey during civics class.

Pawnplayer said in response to the statement "That makes Fox News the worst criminals of them all."

Prove it. Back it up.

That’s easy. You don't have to take anyone's word for it. You can prove it for yourself. Here’s how: Turn your TV to "on". Tune into your local Faux News station. Watch and listen for at least fivfe minutes. It’s that simple.

[edit on 6/28/2006 by dubiousone]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If the New York Times exposes covert illegal activities and corruption in our goverment, I'm all for it
as a patriotic American.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Iconoclast

Originally posted by zappafan1
REPLY: Please inform me of a Constitutional Right you have lost.

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The way the Bush administration has handled the press has been embarassing. Playing favorites with the media, plantng propaganda stories in the press, planting reporters in the press corps, completely ignoring long standing and respected journalists, and threatening to revoke press credentials? Seems like several offenses directly aimed at the first ammendment rights of the citizens.

You forgot about a provision in the Patriot Act and how it was ruled against the First Amendment.

National Security Letters

Notice again, the very title "National Security Letter"!! Too bad it's against the Constitution. But hey national security comes before the Constitution right?!

And here are some victims of these unconstitutional"letters"

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Some good quotes from Thomas Jefferson which pertain to this:

Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.

The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.

No government ought to be without censors & where the press is free, no one ever will.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is.

I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

No man will ever carry out of the Presidency the reputation which carried him into it.

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.

Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I must agree that there could be no better time for us to review our history
and learn from it.

The mind boggles

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I might also add to the last quote I posted, judging by other quotes I came across, that Jefferson had a particular disdain for newspapers;

Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.

I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a word from President Kennedy.

Gee, I wonder why he was assassinated?

To the suggestion that people complaining about government subversion of the Constitution should leave the country... YOU are anti-american (as defined by the Constitution);

YOU go to North Korea! If you don't like the Constitution, on which our Republic's responsibilities and powers are defined, then you are better off in a foreign country such as North Korea, China, et al. The Constitution is what made this country great! Not a bunch of flag waving idiots, supporting fraudulent proxy banking wars in which "spreading democracy" is the false MO. Nor a government which constantly instills fears and pushes your patriotic buttons to fight the long war! Those are your worst enemies.....

[edit on 28-6-2006 by derdy]

[edit on 28-6-2006 by derdy]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Anyone calling the NYT terrorists, traitors or enemies of the State need to get their heads examined. "They are traitors because they helped the enemy"

WHAT ENEMY?

There is no enemy but the U.S. government and their Neo-Con money mogul aides. There are no terrorists who are threatening the U.S. (Really? Yes, really)
There is no systematic plot by terrorists against the U.S. this is all thought out by PNAC years ago, as has been well documented. This whole war on terror is BOGUS, and you know it.

Wake the beep up, o yea brainwashed and go out and speak up for a change.
What are you afraid of? Someone will fire you for being un-patriotic? Don´t make me come out to the States with a band of "Terrorists" and do it for you. Heh.

Freedom Journalist Greg Palast doesn´t seem afraid, why are you?

You want to talk “treason”? OK, let’s talk treason. How about Dick Cheney telling his creepy little hitman ‘Scooter’ Libby to reveal information that led to the naming of a CIA agent? Mr. Simmons, do you have room in your firing squad schedule for the Vice-President?

Source

The neo-cons’ 101-page confidential document, which came to me in a brown envelope in February 2001, just before the tanks rolled, goes boldly where no U.S. invasion plan had gone before: the complete rewrite of the conquered state’s “policies, law and regulations.” A cap on the income taxes of Iraq’s wealthiest was included as a matter of course. And this was undoubtedly history’s first military assault plan appended to a program for toughening the target nation’s copyright laws. Once the 82nd Airborne liberated Iraq, never again would the Ba’athist dictatorship threaten America with bootleg dubs of Britney Spears’s “...Baby One More Time.”

Source

Defy Ignorance, Dammit.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HardToGet
Anyone calling the NYT terrorists, traitors or enemies of the
State need to get their heads examined. WHAT ENEMY?

The inconvenient truth of the matter is that we are at war.
That means that the NYT broke the LAW and aided the enemy
by printing our war plans - which we are legally carrying out
and which both the dems and republicans approved of.

That's the truth.

You asked what enemy? Slept through 9/11 did ya'? And the first WTC attack?
And the Bali bombings? And the USS Cole? And the Spain train attacks?
And the London train bombings? And all those promises by the terrorists
that you see on the TV news and the internet; their declaration of war by
the terrorists themselves against the US and all infidels. Been sleeping
through all that as well?

Defy Ignorance, Dammit.

back atchya.

People are so enraged - claiming that the USA broke the law
(it didn't) - and yet you are letting the NYT slide even though THEY
are the ones that most likely broke the law and certainly aided
the enemy during war time.

what a bunch ...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Anyone calling the NYT terrorists, traitors or enemies of the State need to get their heads examined. "They are traitors because they helped the enemy"

WHAT ENEMY?

There is no enemy but the U.S. government and their Neo-Con money mogul aides. There are no terrorists who are threatening the U.S. (Really? Yes, really)
There is no systematic plot by terrorists against the U.S. this is all thought out by PNAC years ago, as has been well documented. This whole war on terror is BOGUS, and you know it.

Wake the beep up, o yea brainwashed and go out and speak up for a change.
What are you afraid of? Someone will fire you for being un-patriotic? Don´t make me come out to the States with a band of "Terrorists" and do it for you. Heh.

Freedom Journalist Greg Palast doesn´t seem afraid, why are you?

You want to talk “treason”? OK, let’s talk treason. How about Dick Cheney telling his creepy little hitman ‘Scooter’ Libby to reveal information that led to the naming of a CIA agent? Mr. Simmons, do you have room in your firing squad schedule for the Vice-President?

Source

The neo-cons’ 101-page confidential document, which came to me in a brown envelope in February 2001, just before the tanks rolled, goes boldly where no U.S. invasion plan had gone before: the complete rewrite of the conquered state’s “policies, law and regulations.” A cap on the income taxes of Iraq’s wealthiest was included as a matter of course. And this was undoubtedly history’s first military assault plan appended to a program for toughening the target nation’s copyright laws. Once the 82nd Airborne liberated Iraq, never again would the Ba’athist dictatorship threaten America with bootleg dubs of Britney Spears’s “...Baby One More Time.”

Source

Defy Ignorance, Dammit.

thank you for that... i was beginning to wonder, exactly how many REAL Americans we had in this place! I appreciate other comments from users too, but it just seem overwhelmingly, that we have a very uneducated (or misinformed) populace. When the Texas police can hand out "terrorism flyers" citing potential terrorists as those that cite the US Constitution as grounds for their ideology, we've come a long way down the path of government corruption! Espescially, nowadays when the MSM news media doesn't even go into historical reference and acts as a conduit for government policy!

I appreciate all the Constitution heads and the real Americans. Effe you "neo-conservatives" and "neo-liberals" you won't win here! Your cause is doomed! If you have some beef with me on this matter bring it, because your weak and pathetic arguments, based in tyrannical oppressions, will be smited before you can say, "Stalin."

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The inconvenient truth of the matter is that we are at war.

We're at War?? Really? Since when. According to the Constitution of the United States only Congress can declare War. (Article 1, Section 8)
Looks like things may have changed according to our Congress, however...

Under the Constitution, war powers are divided. Congress has the power to declare war and raise and support the armed forces (Article I, Section 8), while the president is Commander in Chief (Article II, Section 2). It is generally agreed that the Commander in Chief role gives the president power to repel attacks against the United States and makes him responsible for leading the armed forces. During the Korean and Vietnam wars, the United States found itself involved for many years in undeclared wars. Many Members of Congress became concerned with the erosion of congressional authority to decide when the United States should become involved in a war or the use of armed forces that might lead to war.

Congress has either ignored its responsibility entirely over these years, or transferred the war power to the executive branch by a near majority vote of its Members, without consideration of it by the states as an amendment required by the Constitution.

and which both the dems and republicans approved of

This is certainly debatable. First off, how did the NYT break the LAW and aid the enemy?! Our war plans?! First and foremost, this assumes that Osama Bin Laden was responsible for 9/11, which the FBI couldn't even get a grand jury indictment for to post on it's most wanted internet profile

Second, your ignorant ass, assumes that somehow, revealing to Americans, that Big Brother is in fact Big Brother, would somehow endanger the lives of Americans, in spite of public debate on a program that was implemented as a DIRECT result of Sept. 11, 2001. This is the same line of logic that Adolf Hitler applied after the Reichstag was burned down by "communists" before he became dictator. So are you saying, that we should deploy the same tactics of that of a fascist and not ask proper questions of our government and hold THEM accountable for their intelligence and logistics failure on 9/11?! Instead, hold the Constitution in contempt and blame our freedoms for it? Wow, welcome to USSA... Somebody buy the FlyersFan a one way ticket to China, I hear they have NO threat from terrorism, as Tienneman Square has taught them not to question their government!

I love it! It's so awesome! All these 'patriotic Americans' saying the rest of us are traitors. Do you not realize that Adolf Hitler hung his own people that questioned him during their "war" and the "good" Germans went along with it. You are nothing more than "good" Germans. You have been sold a war by the Executive branch, unchecked (not suprisingly) by the Legislative (as defined by the Constitution) and here you are calling someone trying to inform the public, which makes better decisions when informed of such, traitors... You make me sick.. I really wish you would revoke your citizenship to America and move somewhere else... You are no better than Stalinists, Nazi's, or the UN trying to come in our # with a one world government agenda... Please exit America and don't let the door hit you in the buttocks!

You think that 9/11 was the work of islamo-fascists.. I have a hint for you, that's half of the equation and that threat is not nearly as big as the US government (the neo-conservative in particular) would have you believe!

We're coming in for a landing, please pull your head out of your anus and prepare for a bumpy ride!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

You asked what enemy?

Slept through 9/11 did ya'?

PNAC with whatever tools they could find. They´ve used Military resources and some NASA technology on this one. Hey, did you know they can fly a Boeing passenger plane without anyone being on board since ´78? And safely land it, or direct it to wherever the hell they want? Even alter "live" broadcasts using computer generated overlays?

And the first WTC attack?

BlackOp. (FBI involved in coverup) very well documented

And the Bali bombings?
And the USS Cole?
And the Spain train attacks?
And the London train bombings?

BlackOp.
BlackOp.
BlackOp.
BlackOp.

And all those promises by the terrorists that you see on the TV news and the internet; their declaration of war by the terrorists themselves against the US and all infidels.

Disinformation and negative propaganda. BlackOp 101.

what a bunch ...

Yep, I must agree with you on that.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I give you one last quote from Thomas Jefferson:

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Amen!!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

and which both the dems and republicans approved of.

Let me ask you something. Do you remember after 9/11 how this administration talked about tracking the finances of terrorist organizations? Do you remember the businesses using various 'covers' that were brought down because we were tracking their finances? Do you remember the president himself talking about tracking the terrorist's finances all over the world?

I know you do.

So what did the NY Times do that the president and others hadn't already done?

Why Terror Financing is so Tough to Track Down
Tracking the Dollars Behind Terror Networks
Tracking Down Terrorist Financing (Council on Foreign Relations) Including details on what we're doing to track their finances!
Terrorism and Financial Intelligence

I got 3.25 MILLION hits on a google search of "Tracking Terrorists Dollars", many by the government itself.

Tell me. What's the difference between what's written in the NY Times and these 3.25 million Internet pages?

YOU ARE BEING PLAYED! :shk:

Edit: The "200 countries" I mentioned earlier in this thread was a misprint in the article. It's actually 20 countries.

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by derdy
to all other REAL Americans

I´m dutch actually.

...But appreciate the compliment. I´m a TFC, a Truly Free Citizen.

For however long that will last.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by derdy
to all other REAL Americans

I´m dutch actually.

...But appreciate the compliment. I´m a TFC, a Truly Free Citizen.

For however long that will last.

that's awesome actually! Like I've been saying, what makes America great is the ideas and principles of the Constitution. Typically, that transverses land and sea, it's the ultimate equalizer for us all. That's why our government is trying to do away with it ASAP! This Constitutional-Republic is one of the best forms of government known to man! The only people that wish to dismantle this are people that wish to ascertain power and control. To those people, I say read the Second Amendment!

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
WE should never forget the founders of the Declaration of Independence.

They too had to fight ignorance and fear and misguided loyalty to the crown.

Only this time a growing number of true patriots must fight an internal revolution against
apathy, ignorance and blind acceptance of the integrity of our own leadership.

There are many good and loyal Americans who simply can not grasp the severity
of what is happening to their country.

They trust those who do not deserve their trust.

They can not comprehend the reality that there are elements within our government
who will stop at nothing to empower those who profit from the business of war.

This is not wild speculation.

It is a fact known to me and many others who are paying attention.

There is an ongoing power struggle, an internal revolt by those who still
cherish and respect the honor of our country.

They stand up and dare to denounce tyranny and corruption.

They are the modern day True Sons Of Liberty

[edit on 28-6-2006 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Nice work Hardtoget,

This appears to be backlash from the Judy Miller days where the NYT seemed to be in the Bush Admins hip pocket. They are attempting to bring some shred of credibilty back and the White House is pissed they don't have a resident stenographer on premisis any longer. Fascism must control the press and the Neocons are upset they've lost some of the control they thought they had.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join