It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President says New York Times is disgaceful

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
We all know that The New York Times is considered my millions of people as a top newspaper.

Today, President Bush called it disgaceful.

Representative Peter King said: The New York Times is putting its own arrogant, elitist, left-wing agenda before the interests of the American people.

Somebody remind that dude that freedom of the press is in interest of the people.

www.cnn.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Yahoo

Bush

Reply from the accused:

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So when the Times prints out information that helps track the criminals that want to blow up people, the public has a right to know, just as you have a right to know warplans, launchcodes, etc. They decide, not elected government officials.

The really funny lie in Keller's letter is that they released this info without any animus against the Bush administration. Yeah, they call 'em as they see 'em, just like Dan Rather and documents.

The NYT of Pinchie and his Leninst staff aren't disgraceful, they are traitors.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Peaceful Assembly, Freedom of Worship and Freedom to Petition the Government are all protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution. No one on this board will debate that nor should anyone debate these freedoms. But at what point does responsibility come into account?

It is irresponsible and quite illegal to yell “Fire!” in a crowded theater when there is no fire. Is your free speech infringed?

Should the Klu Klux Klan “peacefully” assemble before a burning cross in Harlem?

Should a Satanic cult freely practice a human sacrifice on the steps of the National Cathedral in DC?

Should have Al Gore shot George W. and the Supreme Court Justices because they denied his 531st (or so ) Petition to recount the votes in Florida again? (Although forcing recounts in other states might have given him the electoral votes needed, just a FYI)

As simply as I can put it, the freedoms that we have as individuals must always bear in mind the freedoms of others. Nowhere in the editor’s letter was there any mention of consideration to the soldiers and officers that now may have to risk their lives for how much ever longer because of this article. He barely acknowledged the civilian lives of NYC and DC that may now be jeopardized.

I personally would love to grab this guy by the scrotum and take him on a one month trip across country to show him that there are a multitude more people in America than just NYC and DC. And after he has full opportunity to eat and talk and heaven forbid play a game (baseball, checkers, hungry hungry hippos) he might find that they tend to be of a better caliber of people than what he is used to being around. Sadly, the people of the small towns and cities are the most vulnerable to attack should a terror campaign begin in earnest.

I am sure he saw the fear and desperation, the confusion and anger in the eyes of many thousands of people (if only in photographs) during and after 9/11. I have to sit and wonder if he remembered all that before he decided to publish.

So let us say that the War on Terror must last only one extra day (an unrealistic estimate I assure you) because of the damage done by making this information public. I ask, was it worth it? Stan Lee summed it up best in Amazing Spiderman “With great power comes great responsibility.” This editor showed no effort of forethought in my opinion, hopefully his final punishment will be on par with that of Prometheus.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm sure the feeling is mutual...

nytimes.com

The government would like us to publish only the official line, and some of our elected leaders tend to view anything else as harmful to the national interest. For example, some members of the Administration have argued over the past three years that when our reporters describe sectarian violence and insurgency in Iraq, we risk demoralizing the nation and giving comfort to the enemy. Editors start from the premise that citizens can be entrusted with unpleasant and complicated news, and that the more they know the better they will be able to make their views known to their elected officials. Our default position — our job — is to publish information if we are convinced it is fair and accurate, and our biggest failures have generally been when we failed to dig deep enough or to report fully enough.

I thought this quote really summed it up nicely.

[edit on 26-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

edit to shorten link

[edit on 27-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Ohhh? He's reading papers now?? hmmm...that's a new one.

HE'S the disgrace that makes up the news that is printed that makes the newstands that people buy that make people ill.

Period. Truth hurts.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The NYT is a disgrace.. it is a shill for communists if you ask me. But their political views are not in themselves a crime..

what is a crime is lying, exaggerating, taking stories out of context, launching attack campaigns against political leaders for purely selfish reasons, aiding and abetting enemies of the country and promoting foreign interests over local interests and I could go on and on... but why bother?

Keep kicking George and don't stop even when they are down.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Bush needs to learn how to grow up a little bit and have some guts like this former president that makes him look like a nail biting hide under the bed wreck.

"The very word secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society and we are as
a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret
oaths, and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of
excessive and unwarrented concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the
dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today there is little value in
opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating it's arbitrary
restrictions, even today there's little value in insuring the survival of
our nation if our traditions do not survive with it and there is very grave
danger that an annouced need for increase in security would be seized upon
by those anxious to expand it's meaning to the very limits of official
censorship and concealment that I do not intend to permit to the extent
that's in my control and no official of my administration, whether his rank
is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight
as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our
mistakes, or to withhold from the press or the public, the facts they
deserve to know." John F. Kennedy

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I find it funny how in the USA, anybody who questions or does'nt follow the direct line of the government is immediately called "left-wing" or "liberal". Grow up

[edit on 27-6-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
the New York Times will try anything to get the government in trouble. they abuse their freedom of speech and the press.. the NYT is a terrorist organization on american soil

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
When the hell are we gonna throw these guys out of office already and put them all where they belong!??? Out with the rest of the trash!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
why doesnt the NYT just tell the whole world Americas plans.. they are a discgrace. who the hell is giving them this information? and why are they allowed to lie out of their @$$ and get away with it?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
the New York Times will try anything to get the government in trouble. they abuse their freedom of speech and the press.. the NYT is a terrorist organization on american soil

A little harsh don't you think? Questions are a healthy thing to those who dare to open their eyes.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
i dont think its harsh at all. They are just as bad as the BBC. but a lot worse

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   

i dont think its harsh at all. They are just as bad as the BBC. but a lot worse

The BBC? What are you smoking? a big pipe of propoganda? The BBC has the best journalism on the planet! Fox News....... Yuueeeeh!? Do you understand what the film 'JARHEAD' is about even?, because it seems irony has dealt you the short straw.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   

That's one of the most ridicoulous things i've heard....

A Newspaper being a terrorist organisation ?
Offcourse you do have proof to back up this ridicoulous claims ?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
So this is the state of American politics and so called patrotism? You can't investigate or question anything about the war, the politicians or the government? What's next... little black vans with tinted windows? For people who go on and on about how the US is all about the fight for freedom, this is pretty sad.

Even more ironic is that this demonstrates you don't need an external enemy to blame.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Are you serious? A terrorist organization? Wait... you mean they have this secret hideout underneath their headquarters where they secretly plan to knock down a building or two? thats causing panic! In these days newspapers like the NYT are about the only ones to shed some light upon this whole mystery campaign against USA citizens. Are you blaming a few people for revealing a truth that infact every american would do in their shoes? I'd slowly start to get paranoid knowing that every move i would make would be registred and send to be reviewed. As soon as you open your mouth, you're a threat on USA soil, its true.

Calling them terrorists is not just something, i'd gladly hear the motive behind your statement but for now, i'm not convinced yet.

Oh, and by the way. Hello ATS!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
To bad for poor old Dubya.

Someone should tell him there is only one FOX news.

LOL

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
So this is the state of American politics and so called patrotism? You can't investigate or question anything about the war, the politicians or the government? What's next... little black vans with tinted windows? For people who go on and on about how the US is all about the fight for freedom, this is pretty sad.

Even more ironic is that this demonstrates you don't need an external enemy to blame.

"Stay the Course"
Captain E. J. Smith said the same thing ... to the bridge crew of the Titanic........

The New York Times is reporting the truth, and that is the problem. How DARE they report the truth and go against this governments grain?!!!!! Good for them.
Someone HAS TO.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think that with his record,
he shouldn't be calling anyone disgraceful!
And who is he to be calling anyone "elitist"?

Isn't he the one who said "Here we are...The haves, and the have mores" at a political gathering (or fund raiser, or some such nonsense)?

Freakin' hippocrite!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join