It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Davinci's take on religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Religious theory

Here is a site dedicated to possible theories based off of Davinci's notebooks and mathmatical equations. Tell me what you think

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think that the author of that page has something there. I noticed a long time ago that there are too many similarities between the old pagan religions and Chrisitianity. Easter and Christmas were based on Ostara and Yule, for example. Of course, there are always going to be people who refuse to see the amazing number of similarities that there are between Paganism and Christianity... Anyway, before I start ranting, I'd never heard of that particular theory before, but I think that it's a very good one.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thanks, its something I have been tossing around for several years, trying to get other peoples opinions good/bad. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Unfortunately it will rest in the relm on theory forever, but fun to speculate none-the-less!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The idea of the duality concepts in the painting is one I hadn't noticed! Obviously I appreciate the concept of the yin-yang - from my choice of avatar

The author states this:

We then look closer at the hands of Christ the hand on the left takes while the hand on the right gives. I also do not find it chance that at the time, in partriarchal culture, that the left side was associated with evil, perversity, and women...THE LEFT SIDE WAS ASSOCIATED WITH EVIL PERVERSITY AND WOMEN.

While the observation is invaluable, the deduction is faulty. What the author didn't consider is that, although Mary (?) is on the left side and a male disciple (?) is on the right, that is from the point of facing the painting. From the vantage point of Christ, in the painting, Mary is on the right hand of Christ and the male on the left!

The one on Christ's right is, obviously, from the clothing in completmentary colors, being presented as Christ's 'other half' (in the sense of being a matched pair, from the inverse).

What is he 'taking' from the woman to 'give' to the man?

The vanishing point is unusual, too--besides the sacred geometry. It wouldn't be the usual practice to make the subject of the arrangement the actual vanishing point, I wouldn't think. The result is that all the subjects are the same size, more or less! Christ in the center, but isn't the 'centerpiece,' IMO.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the input!! I have given thought to the left, right aspect of the painting, but since we are given no reference point on viewing the art it is my belief that the painting was intended to be interpreted by the viewer and not the Christ figure, so the "Mary" was intentionally placed on the viewers left side so the mind would not have to "reverse" the image in there head. I mean he made everything else about the painting obvious enough (at least to me). It also corresponds perfectly with the other ying/yang aspects of the painting. I have looked everywhere and it seems to me that not many people have noticed the ying/yang aspect of the painting until veiwing my site so I believe I may be on to something here. Any more input from anyone would be great!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

What is he 'taking' from the woman to 'give' to the man?

IMO.

I beleive he is taking a piece of bread. what that is supposed to sybolise (if anything) is left for debate.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Biblically speaking, I associate bread with knowledge.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I had not heard of that one yet. Interesting. What led you to believe that bread is associated with Knowledge? Whas it a particular passage or is this something you have come up with. I would love to hear more if you have the time. Thanks for the contribution!!!! Cheers

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I have given thought to the left, right aspect of the painting, but since we are given no reference point on viewing the art it is my belief that the painting was intended to be interpreted by the viewer and not the Christ figure, so the "Mary" was intentionally placed on the viewers left side so the mind would not have to "reverse" the image in there head.

Over the many many years this painting has been cussed,discussed, and argued
the predominant " accepted" beginning has always been Jeshua as the center ( midpoint
of the painting not necessarily center as in Central figure.) as such most discussion
reflects the object of the discussion as either on Jesus'/Christ'/ Jeshua's right or left.
You will find the same in discussions of paintings of the cross or cruxification.

Another point to consider and one that anyone with photo editing software can prove themselves, Mary ( and it is Mary or another female) the figure dipcited on Jeshua's right if moved lays perfectly on Jeshua's left shoulder, traditionally the position and place reserved for the Wife and/or Lover.
that place closest to the heart.

There is another item that ( at least for me, makes the identification and relationship
between Jeshua and Mary concrete and undeniable.) But lets see if anyone else has " Eyes to See." It only took me 20 yrs and the developement of easily accessable high resolution photo imaging.

what that is supposed to sybolise (if anything) is left for debate.

Hunger? Starvation after a long winded sermon?

I had not heard of that one yet.

Hast thou never heard of " The Bread of Knowledge/Learning and The Wine of Rebirth?"

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Those are very good observations, but I would like to know how you feel about the site itself and the theory its presents?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
another thought has occured to me. The whole Rightside/Leftside thing especially
the Left being evil/bad/aydayadayada is DIRECTLY attributable To The RCC and
and their inquisition. This coloring hols today in politics and insurgents.
leftist Gorillas/ right wing insurgents. right wing fundamentalist bigots etcetcetc.

as for the site and its theory , it is as plausable asmost any other.

To quote Mr. Holmes, " When the possible has been eliminated, the Impossible
becomes probable."

new topics

top topics

join