It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano may emerge from the sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There is an underwater volcano off the coast of Sicily that may soon emerge again. Last breaking the surface in 1831, Ferdinandea, also known as Graham Bank is a volcanic seamount. Although this article mention the dispute over ownership of the "isle", I think the fact that it is become active after more than 100 years is the more important story.

A volcanic island submerged for more than 170 years could soon reappear off the Sicilian coast.

The underwater volcano Ferdinandea, also known as Graham Bank, last emerged from the sea in 1831, but scientists think it may be about to make another appearance.

Just 20 kilometres out to sea, the top of the volcanic island lies about eight metres below the water surface.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Further information:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.grifasi-sicilia.com...
www.swisseduc.ch...
www.geolsoc.org.uk...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yes, you are right. This volcano has been underwater for close to 170 years and is now showing activity again of rising from underneath. People should be keeping their eyes on the development of this situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's all the fault of Bush and his global warming...

The next Hawaiian Island is forming the same way.

[edit on 26-6-2006 by dave_54]

[edit on 26-6-2006 by dave_54]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yeah, Hawaii and other volcanic islands were formed in the same way.
Although, I'm more interested in why the mount crept above sea level for six months over one hundred years ago. And then returned below sea level.

Please, Dave, keep Bush and politics out of my thread. It is off topic.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
...Please, Dave, keep Bush and politics out of my thread. It is off topic.

That was tongue-in-cheek. It seems every natural event or disaster, whether natural or man-made, is blamed on Bush by some posters.

top topics

join