It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Prime Minister Candidate wants to scrap human rights bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
David cameroon leader of the conservative party has announced that he would scrap the human rights bill and to me that would be a massive step towards a police state in the UK what do you think

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
The current Human Rights bill is a joke anyway. It seems like it gives more rights and protection to those who abuse the rights of others than it does the victims.
It was sickening to see Tony B-Liar on the news last week talking about overhauling the system to afford better protection to victims and making life difficult for the criminals. After all, most of thr systems we have in place right now were introduced by his government.
It's all political posturing.

As for it moving us towards a police state, the Human Rights bill affords us no protection anyway. If the police / government want to do something they just change the law or have the lawyers come up with a clever "interpretation" of the existing law.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
All is not quite as it seems with this announcement (which is scheduled for today but hasn't actually been made yet).

Cameron is suggesting to scrap the Human Rights Act which is simply the enactment of the European Convention on Human Rights in British Law. The Convention dates back to 1950 and, contrary to much popular belief, has absolutely nothing to do with the much maligned European Union, (EU).

The Human Rights Act actually implemented no new rights whatsoever, all it did was to allow citizens to bring prosecutions under the Convention in a British court rather than having to follow a long and expensive process to the European Court of Human Rights in The Hague.

By suggesting to scrap the Act Cameron is trying to exploit a political advantage as the Act is very unpopular - he proposes to replace it with a "Bill of Rights" instead so the police state fear is unlikely to come to anything although we will have to wait and see the new Bill of Rights before any serious judgement can be made.

As a final twist, unless Cameron also proposes to withdraw unilaterally from the Convention prosecutions could still take place in The Hague just as they used to. So it's much more a case of political posturing rather than anything sinister

[edit on 26-6-2006 by timeless test]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Rather a Police State than the Criminal State we currently have .....

Commit a crime in the UK and you're treated like royalty. Try to prevent a crime and they lock you up for breaching the criminal's 'human rights' .....

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xenesthad
David cameroon leader of the conservative party has announced that he would scrap the human rights bill and to me that would be a massive step towards a police state in the UK what do you think

What you fail to mention is that he plans to replace it with a "Bill of Rights", so it's hardly the scrapping and ushering in a totalitarian state that you imply.

Besides, he is going to win the next election. he attended the Bilderberg meetings, just as Blair did prior to his victory in `97. He has been approved by the Elites.

Same with Hilary Clinton.....

Put money on it...

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xenesthad

This is actually a good thing and not a massive step toward a Police State. Currently the human rights act is being abused to a stupendous extent. When illigal immigrants and criminals can use the act to sue the Government for detaining them, something is wrong. The Human Rights Act, rather than being used to protect the rights of humans who need protection, is more commonly now used by Lawyers to ease the hardship of convicted criminals...at the expense of the rights of the victims.

If you wake up in the middle of the night and find a man at the foot of your bed armed with a knife, don't hurt him, he'll be sue you for breaching his human rights. The fact that you have the human right to sleep at night without intruders entering your home doesn't count.

Just recently there was the case of a car thief who was chased by Police onto the roof of a house. He sat there all day long, throwing tiles at the Police and people below. Around 20 officers were tied up attending the scene for the day. Nobody went up a ladder and pulled him down, because it would have "breached his human rights". He demanded food and drink, and this was provided as a "human right". He didn't like the can of cola he was given, so sent it back and recieved a 2 litre bottle. He was sent a KFC meal. After this feast, he had a sleep. The Police stayed on the ground, and waited the entire day for him to come voluntarily down, because they were afraid that to forcibly remove him would be a "breach of his human rights".

That is the kind of nonsense that David Cameron is trying to destroy by removing the Human Right Act. He's trying to bring common sense back into the equation.

If you want to worry about a Police State, you're looking in completely the wrong direction. Check the definition of 'Police State'. Then look at the powers that Tony Blair has handed the Police over the past 5 years, the civil liberties he has removed from the public, and his obsession with the ID card scheme and a 'Big Brother' society where the Government watches and sees all.

It's Blair who wants a Police State...or as much of a Police State as he can get away with imposing upon us. Be thankful that his time will soon be up. If he had developed this obsession at the start of his 'reign' we'd already by 2/3rds of the way to being a Police State.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i live in england and my human rights went long ago, never commiting a crime. i just worked for the bbc and the police.

my rights went long ago, and soon will everyone elses. it is shocking the stuff and technology these geezers have. there should be no crime that is unsolvable for the police, with the stuff they have today.

human rights in england went long ago, if like me you unintentionally upset the wrong people, your life in england is over.

i have always said what is happening to me, will happen to everyone in this country and then the world. these geezers want everything in a persons life.

so any english and americans on here, your rights might have gone already and you may not know it.

[edit on 26-6-2006 by andy1033]

top topics

join