It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Turning water into fuel" on Fox Chicago tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I just caught a commercial for Fox News tonight (Sunday the 25th) that featured a story about some new invention/ process that will turn water into fuel... that's all it said.

Point is, I thought I would give others in the area a heads-up on this potentially disappointing story. Tonight on the 9 o'clock news.

I don't anticipate it being anything too groundbreaking since the news is never really news. That's what the internet is for.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted by SmileyMan34
I just caught a commercial for Fox News tonight (Sunday the 25th) that featured a story about some new invention/ process that will turn water into fuel... that's all it said. Tonight on the 9 o'clock news.

I'll catch it. I have FOX out of my tv sequence, but I can get to it by direct entry.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Heh, with the way Fox news works, they probably will show you someone holding a test tube over a calcium chip under water... remember that science project you used to do back in public school?

Yeah, thats about as out of date some of Fox's content can be.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I saw a little bit of it but I couldn't hear.... because I was out at a bowling alley -not bowling- watching the Sox game with my friends. So I didn't get how it works or if it'll ever be used.

I did, however hear a couple things. The guy is getting thousands of calls/ emails. His truck gets twice the mileage. They may have solved the problem of using more electricity than is practical. I'll try to find a link.

Anyone actually get to see the story?

Edit: I have found a link. I guess it was on a Fox 26, wherever that may be, as well. Ours is 12 on cable/ 32 on broadcast. The point is that here's the LINK.

[edit on 26-6-2006 by SmileyMan34]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Two things come to mind...

The obvious is electrolysis into hydrogen. Doesn't take much electricity to do that. A car battery, a tub of water, two wires and two glass jars..

Electrolysis

Second there are ways of adding water into gas powered carbuerators that will increase milage drasticly. something to do with increased compression

As to hydrogen, at a recent trade show here in Las Vegas, Shell Oil company released their Hydrogen feul pump. Thats fuel from water
And further more the electrical energy needed to split water, is produced by water running thru a turbine generator.

The beauty of getting hydrogen from water is that, upon combustion (oxidation), it turns back into water. Only steam comes out of the tailpipe of a hydrogen combustion engine or fuel cell, steam that rejoins the planetary water cycle—there is no pollution and no net loss of resources. (Though our cities might get a little foggy, one observer quipped.)

Article on Extracting Hydrogen from Water

Hmmmm that would make a great
NEW THREAD

So what are we waiting for? Tell Ossama to stick his oil and we use water. We have lots of that. Lets see him buy weapons of mass distruction with sand dollars

[edit on 26-6-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Thanks, smileyman34, for the link to Fox

posted by zorgon

Two things come to mind . . The obvious is electrolysis into hydrogen. Doesn't take much electricity to do that. A car battery, a tub of water, two wires and two glass jars . .
[Edited by Don W]

There is one big reason this was not done 100 years ago. It takes 10 to the Nth power hydrogen atoms to run a motor vehicle. By the time you compress hydrogen atoms up to about 3,000 psi at very low temperatures and load it into your car, you have spent more on electricity (for compressing) than you spend on gasoline.

The mystery is not how to make hydrogen gas, the trick is how to make it in useful quantities and how to pack ii into containers that make it competitive.

Second there are ways of adding water into gas powered carburetors that will increase milage drastically . . something to do with increased compression . . So what are we waiting for? Tell Osama to stick his oil and we use water. We have lots of that. Lets see him buy weapons of mass destruction with sand dollars [Edited by Don W]

Water injection into internal combustion - and gas turbine - engines has been around almost as long as internal combustion - and gas turbine - engines have been around. If you can find an old JC Whitney catalog, you’ll find one or more offered for backyard mechanics.

The addition of water to the fuel/air mixture cools the mixture. Cooler mixtures have more density. More fuel - more umph! - in them, hence go further or faster. Water also reduces the knock potential of the engine in the case of infernal combustion engines so that you can raise the compression ratio and rely on water injection to avoid pre-ignition, the bane of the IC engine. It follows this process is not cost effective or it would already be found on every one of the 15 million cars sold every year in the US of A. So what’s up doc?

I foresee the use of electrify generated by nuclear power plants as the most Green way to convert our 200 million vehicle fleet to hydrogen hybrids. Our goal? To reduce our fossil fuel consumption to the level - 7 million barrels a day - we can pump inside the US of A. Down from the 22 mb/d we currently consume.

Footnote: In the "good old days" of my earlier life, fully laden B52s used water injection in the 8 J57 engines on take off. The glorious P&W R2800 - best radial engine of WW2 - used water injection in some applications, for what was called “War Emergency Power.” Planes so equipped carried enough water for 5 minutes of injection. To engage the water pump, you had to push the throttle past 100%, which had a safety wire block to prevent accidental engagement. Whatever it did to the engine, it had to go to major overhaul after one application of the water injection. Pilots used WE power to escape enemy aircraft.

A fully laden B52 meant a full load of JP4 and 4 hydrogen bombs in the internal bomb bays and 2 more hydrogen bombs suspended under each wing in unguided missiles. Total of 8 H Bombs! Wow! That is indeed “fully laden!”

Article on Extracting Hydrogen from Water
See www.ecotecture.com...

[edit on 6/26/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The mystery is not how to make hydrogen gas, the trick is how to make it in useful quantities and how to pack ii into containers that make it competitive.

Not a mystery any more Donwhite
I was there at the Las Vegas trade show where Shell Oil unvieled their Hydrogen pump.

I posted this on another thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As to the carbeurator that uses water injection, I used one on my Rally car several years back

I personal am glad that Hydrogen will be available in my lifetime

new topics

top topics

join