It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reason the world hates america

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Ive seen in the forums alot of people asking why the world "hate" america. I myself am a naturalized citizen from Kurdistan(hate to call it Iran, Iraq, Turkey or syria), i personally love the country and the things its offered my family but by talking to people Ive noticed that people dont infact hate americans but rather see it stupid that americans would so easily ignore world events or allow themselves to be so ignorant. In other countries, say venezuela, people would protest things they dont like or stand up for their rights. but here in the u.s people will sit by and let gasoline prices rocket from around .80 cents a gallon to 3$ a gallon in a span of no more than 7 or 8 years. Its these inactions that the rest of the world does not like, not actually the american people themselves.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It is truly remarkable that real ignorance and prejudice toward Americans have grown by leaps and boundaries worldwide.

Welcome to the real world. Blaming and hating Americans is a "chic" thing.

[edit on 6/25/2006 by pawnplayer]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
goran,

You know what? you're right. First of all, this has been rehashed here at least once a week.., but let me just say that its true the world now sees us in a different light. The world now knows that we have a tendency to be sheeples, do nothing, and just follow blindly and helpless at the same time.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

posted by goran319

I’ve seen in the forums a lot of people asking why the world "hates" America. I myself am a naturalized citizen from Kurdistan (hate to call it Iran, Iraq, Turkey or Syria). I personally love the country and the things its offered my family but by talking to people I’ve noticed that people don’t in fact hate Americans but rather see it stupid that Americans would so easily ignore world events or allow themselves to be so ignorant. [Edited by Don W]

I’ve wondered that too. I taught school in the USAF and had students from several foreign countries. It was so obvious that people from abroad knew more about America than most of the people I grew up with. And as for foreign affairs, most Americans can’t spell “foreign.” Half of those who can think members of the CFR - Council on Foreign Relations - are KGB plants. As for your homeland, “Kurdistan (hate to call it Iran, Iraq, Turkey or Syria” very few Americans know why you have added 4 countries after the name, Kurdistan. Just as I doubt many Americans know where or why Balochistan is. Or what is meant by referring to “the -stans.”

I remember once during the McCarthy era that the Navy arrested a flying officer in Charleston SC for having “classified” information in his home. It turned out the pilot had a copy of the Brit’s magazine, “Interavia,” a leading monthly on airplanes and so on. It frequently scooped other news sources with data and specs on military aircraft, which was classified by the US Navy.

I think this peculiarly American condition is due to what I call the Post War-Two Anomaly. The closest similar myopia is found in the Han of China.

“ . . In other countries, say Venezuela, people would protest things they don’t like or stand up for their rights. but here in the US people will sit by and let gasoline prices rocket from around .80 cents a gallon to $3 a gallon in a span of no more than 7 or 8 years. It’s these inactions that the rest of the world does not like, not actually the American people themselves.”

The PW-2A is that time frame from 1945 to 1990. Two generations. After War 2, the US was alone amongst the industrialized countries of the world not to have suffered horrendous damage to its homeland. The US has always had about 5% of the world’s population.

Yet, we had over 50% of all the things you measure a nation’s strength with. We produced over 50% of the steel. Mined over 50% of the coal. Generated over 50% of the world’s electricity. Possessed over 50% of the worlds cars and trucks. Have over 50% of the rail mileage of the world. We had 90% of the world’s gold supply (South Africa excluded.) And etc and etc.

Foreigners had to learn English. American English. Foreigners had to learn to calculate exchange rates versus the US dollar. Foreigners had to have visas to get entry but in most of the world, Americans could travel without visas. Most countries wanted our tourist dollars. There was a good movie about this called “The Man In the Gray Flannel Suit.” Gregory Peck.

Since the 2nd Chinese Revolution of 1977, times have changed and changed rapidly. Globalization. Not that the process is new, it’s just that China (as Japan had earlier) quite making junk and trinkets and got serious about making things people want and need. Quality goods. Competitive with goods made in Germany, Switzerland, and the US of A. And cheaper. Also, Malaysia and so on.

It takes time to accommodate to new conditions. We’ll make it, but it will take another decade or two to get back to normal.

[edit on 6/25/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I remember during presidential re-election time how many people of international origins were offering their opinions against us re-electing the Presdient and how so many Americans reacted so vehemnetly towards them when they spoke their opinions. They did not care then and they still don't care now how we look to other citizens in this world of ours.The current administration feels the same way, they obviously don't care much about foreign policy.

As some of my fellow Americans are looking at Muslims in a negative light, so too are other people of other countries lumping all americans together as being the same.

Pie

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Pie, i think your glasses make you a very intelligent human being. I just wanted to say i like the way you think. I'm glad you're here

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

posted by ThePieMaN

“ . . many people of international origins were offering their opinions against us re-electing the President . . Americans reacted so vehemently . . They did not care then and don't care now how we look to this world. The Bush administration feels the same way, they obviously don't care about foreign policy . . my fellow Americans look at Muslims in a negative light, so too are other people of other countries lumping all Americans together as being the same. Pie
[Edited by Don W]

Pie, it’s a tragedy. Republicans have never liked the United Nations. Nixon was instrumental in 1949 to closing American relations with the new Chinese government of Mao Zedong. American foreign policy is held captive by Taiwan and Israel. Ironically, it was the same Nixon - 23 years more mature - who “opened” China to the US in 1972. Democrats cannot talk sense on the foreign affairs issues because so many Americans are intellectual if not spiritual descendants of the 19th century’s American Party.

“The official name of the movement was the American Party. The origin of the "Know Nothing" term was in the semi-secret organization of the party. When a member was asked about its activities, he was supposed to reply "I know nothing."

See en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 6/25/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pawnplayer
Welcome to the real world. Blaming and hating Americans is a "chic" thing.

I'm not too sure about his. I reckon people are confused more than anything else. There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions flying about and America, rightly or wrongly, appear to be involved in most of them in some way.

As a result a lot of people seem to take one of three possible stances: i) Support 'America' blindly, ii) Oppose 'America' blindly, 3) Ignore it all and hope it goes away. When people are not given enough information to make a real judgement on a situation, they tend towards generalisations.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Hey you guys.Just to perk you up a little.I,m in 'obviously' a middle eastern country and I can honestly say they don,t hate you here..I was just working tonight..had a little trouble with a guy from Iran but managed to calm him down somewhat.. women troubles u know.

You do get a lot of seperatist factions here who swear to bring down the ''satan incarnate' ie America' but I,m proud to say..when the navy boys are in town they are sweet,disciplined and courteous to a fault.. Even after three months on duty at sea..And they get a good reception too..

Got a fantastic souvineer off Scotty and the boys from the USS RONALD REAGAN a few weeks ago...Just before the thread about an iranian drone buzzing them...remember..??

I,ll ask him for the thruth when they make it back home Anyway

Point is.. any bad ambassadors of any country can paint a murky picture for everyone..

Was talking to three absolutely beautiful girls from Iran tonight..Good enough reason for me to believe that not everyone from the middle east is evil.. as do most Americans i,ve met too..

They think the same as us. Just because dumb politicians have an axe to grind..and an agenda to follow.It doesn,t mean the rest of us do

Keep your heads up.. all is not lost yet

top topics

join