It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Ignored CIA warnings about Iraq WMD's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US administration officials chose to ignore a
CIA officer's warnings that an Iraqi defector's claims of purported biological labs made by Iraq for germ warfare were unproven.

AFP Article

This information reaffirms that the case to go to war over WMD's was grossly exaggerated in order to convince the UN and others that the war was justified. This information negating claims of WMD's from the CIA would have save thousands of lives and billions of dollars.

WHy is there no greater investigation into this?

SO long as the country remains divided, there will never be any consensus for accountability.

Now, playing politics with the new reports of over 500 WMD's that were discovered recently, the GOP is trying to regain much lost ground in the perception of the war in Iraq.

Santorum Makes claims of WMD's

So it continues...

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: Methods of ''Quoting'' – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26/6/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
WASHINGTON (AFP) - US administration officials chose to ignore a
CIA officer's warnings that an Iraqi defector's claims of purported biological labs made by Iraq for germ warfare were unproven.

Here is what Powell said:

Powell stood before the UN Security Council on February 5 (2003) and said: 'We have first-hand descriptions of biological weapons factories on wheels and on rails.'"

Did we not "have first hand descriptions..."? Powell never said we had proof, which was the reason he went through the song and dance with the sat. photos.

This information reaffirms that the case to go to war over WMD's was grossly exaggerated in order to convince the UN and others that the war was justified. This information negating claims of WMD's from the CIA would have save thousands of lives and billions of dollars.

No doubt the intelligence was cherry picked. But the argument was not an attempt to "...convince the U.N. and others that the war was justified." That's simply revisionist history. No, the argument was made in order to prod the U.N. to issue another ultimatum to Saddam to account for the weapons that we (and the U.N.) absolutely knew for a fact that he had at one time, yet we could no longer locate.

Originally posted by TruthWithinWHy is there no greater investigation into this?

Maybe because there's no violation of any law alleged?

"In briefing Powell before his UN speech, George Tenet, then the CIA director, personally vouched for the accuracy of the mobile-lab claim, according to participants in the briefing.

"Tenet now says he did not learn of the problems with Curveball until much later and that he received no warnings from Drumheller or anyone else," the Post said.
(Your source)

Originally posted by TruthWithinSO long as the country remains divided, there will never be any consensus for accountability.

Darn observant of you to add this little tidbit. Let me just say also that as long as the sun is up, there will be no dark.

Harte

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So am I to extract from your argument that you are OK with using this as a precedent o go to war in the future?

If it becomes the norm to go to war over seedy intel, first hand accounts and poor sat. photos, then this is a really poor example to set for the world.

One would also be completely out of the loop to believe that the argument to the UN via Powel wasn't a free commercial to the American people via the news cycle and that the world was watching.

Thank you also for your belittling comment regarding my statement that our divided nation is unable to hold anyone accountable. Way to keep it mature
. I was illustrating that this administration has intentional pegged this nation against itself

President Bush had the most fanatstic opportunity, perhaps in history, to unite a country, and even a global community. In my opinion, he has failed.

The war has failed and on top of all of it, the reasons to go to war were made up.

If you are satisfied with this general practice by the US governament, more power to you.

[edit on 25-6-2006 by TruthWithin]

[edit on 25-6-2006 by TruthWithin]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You know the thing that I find strange, is that in the days proceeding Australia's illegal invasion of iraq, (yes Australian SAS were first in) I read a web artilce detailing the fact that the CIA had "no reliable intelligence" that Iraq possesed WMD.

The website? ...www.cia.gov

Ever since, Bush, Howard and Blair have been trying to pass the buck onto the intelligence services... yet no one has come up with this abovemention article that PROVES that these war criminals are lying.

If anyone has a copy of this article it need to be posted.. thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

So am I to extract from your argument that you are OK with using this as a precedent o go to war in the future?

Did I say that? No. But I understand your trying to put those words in my mouth. It makes it easier for you to make your argument.

Originally posted by TruthWithinIf it becomes the norm to go to war over seedy intel, first hand accounts and poor sat. photos, then this is a really poor example to set for the world.

Perhaps you should review how it was we got into other wars before you start spouting off about a particular method becoming "the norm."

Originally posted by TruthWithinOne would also be completely out of the loop to believe that the argument to the UN via Powel wasn't a free commercial to the American people via the news cycle and that the world was watching.

That's absurd. Most of the US has nothing but contempt for the U.N. By saying this you are actually ignoring the means used by the Bush Administration to proceed with the war. I know that sometimes it's easier to argue if you don't have to pay attention to the facts, but this was recent enough that you really have no excuse for blindly ignoring what happened in your zeal to make some political point about the current administration. Please either research the subject, or you can take my word for it. Powell's presentation to the U.N., far from a "commercial" for domestic consumption, was an attempt (and a successful one) to get the U.N. to issue an ultimatum to Saddam Hussein. The ultimatum, after Hussein (predictably) thumbed his nose, was used to enter into the war, with several U.S. interests given as reason for our consumption, and the reason "to maintain the legitimacy of the U.N." given for U.N. member consumption in an attempt to form a coalition with fellow members of the U.N..

Originally posted by TruthWithinThank you also for your belittling comment regarding my statement that our divided nation is unable to hold anyone accountable. Way to keep it mature
. I was illustrating that this administration has intentional pegged this nation against itself

Reread what you said. It boils down to "as long as we're divided, there will be no consensus." Please. Somewhat obvious, isn't it?

Harte

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I suggest people watch this video. It is a frontline video (credible IMO) that illistrates Dick Cheney's push for evidence that Sadam had WMD and was in cahoots with Bin Laden. It shows how this administration has entirely undermined the intellegence community. Please watch the video before you poo-poo it. Here's the link.

www.pbs.org...

top topics

join