It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with us Americans these days???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I am new here but read posts extensively on here.

I am American obviously, and I have noticed, more than ever, Americans seem to be incredibly ignorant about everything. I asked a friend of mine who is in their 20's, if he thought the situation in Sudan was horrible. His response, "You mean Sudan Hussein?". I asked another friend, and she responded, "Ummm, I guess". I then asked, "Do you know what the Sudan is?", she responded, "It is a country, right?" This is just the incredible ignorance that Americans seem to have for issues, especially looking at the ENTIRE world. My mother still thinks China is very poor, and Russia has absolutely nothing because of the break up of the Soviet Union 15 years ago. The sad thing is, more Americans voted for American Idol, than the last imperative election. Instead of being together, we are divided on every issue, between the liberals and conservatives. Which this administration can boast for driving the wedge between these two different ways of thinking to deeper depths than ever before. Our government can control the majority of Americans with just bringing up a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, banning abortion, or bringing prayer in school, and all of America will be in an uproar instead of focusing on key issues. Most of Americans are as isolated mentally from the world as Antartica is physically. They just don't care.

Has any other Americans noticed this horrifying trend?

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
One of the long term effects of capitalism is lower education quality, which brings and breeds ignorance. The quality of education is lowered because public education is left unattended and unfunded.

Another long term effect of capitalism is the materialistic culture which says "acquire as many materials as possible - it is only those that count". Initially people are willing to obey laws, but soon enough they realize that the big opportunities to get really rich and "enjoy life" is scams and tricks...and then you have Enron.

Of course the situation is equally bad in most countries, with varying degree.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I am American obviously, and I have noticed, more than ever, Americans seem to be incredibly ignorant about everything.

I agree, a little. But it's always been that way

My mother still thinks China is very poor, and Russia has absolutely nothing because of the break up of the Soviet Union 15 years ago.

China - depends on where you go and how far out you get from the major cities. By American standards, China is very poor. In some cities 200USD a month is great money and in others it might be 50USD.

Instead of being together, we are divided on every issue, between the liberals and conservatives.

It's like that in all 'free thinking' countries. Always has, always will.

Which this administration can boast for driving the wedge between these two different ways of thinking to deeper depths than ever before.

That's right, we should have just one side that everyone can vote for

These days, with both sides being a bit extreme, imo, I can see the need for the two major parties....they somewhat balance each other out. But then again what the NWO wants, the NWO will get

Our government can control the majority of Americans with just bringing up a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, banning abortion, or bringing prayer in school, and all of America will be in an uproar instead of focusing on key issues. Most of Americans are as isolated mentally from the world as Antartica is physically. They just don't care.

Umm, any government can do that, and many governments do. And lately America (the gov't) has been accepting of all the things you listed.

Yes....but I don't think it's horrifying. It's American. Americans have always had a narrow view of global politics and international news...this is not a new trend.

[edit on 25/6/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I certainly have. And I think it's a shame. I agree with everything you've said and I don't understand it myself. I was talking to a conservative friend of mine the other day and he said, "Well, I hate to say it, but I told you so. They found the WMDs." And he really believes that they found the reason we went to war. He didn't research it any further than what he heard on a snippet on the TV news.

And you're so right about the little 'emotional politics' of gay marriage and abortion to separate and manage the populace! Good job!
An interesting OP/Ed on this idea:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And welcome to ATS! We always need more critical thinkers like you.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
the problem is this:

us

we the people

yes, we are in their way to control the whole world and make us all

SLAVES

whats that??
you say you are free

so you DONT HAVE TO
go to work for the rest of your life
or
until you are broken and no longer useable

i remember it was the "AMERICAN WAY"
everyone had a house and 2 cars in their garage
life was simple but,,
we had too much time on our hands

and with that time we started to SEE what was going on
and started to complain

so "THEY" decided to bust our asses make us work
longer ,smarter,faster / production and profits

now the only people who get to VOTE
are the business owners and and other government people

who are ALLOWED to take off work to go vote
everyone else has to work or be afraid of getting fired

we are willfully being destroyed!!

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I am American obviously, and I have noticed, more than ever, Americans seem to be incredibly ignorant about everything. I asked a friend of mine who is in their 20's, if he thought the situation in Sudan was horrible. His response, "You mean Sudan Hussein?". I asked another friend, and she responded, "Ummm, I guess". I then asked, "Do you know what the Sudan is?", she responded, "It is a country, right?" This is just the incredible ignorance that Americans seem to have for issues, especially looking at the ENTIRE world. My mother still thinks China is very poor, and Russia has absolutely nothing because of the break up of the Soviet Union 15 years ago. The sad thing is, more Americans voted for American Idol, than the last imperative election. Instead of being together, we are divided on every issue, between the liberals and conservatives. Which this administration can boast for driving the wedge between these two different ways of thinking to deeper depths than ever before. Our government can control the majority of Americans with just bringing up a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, banning abortion, or bringing prayer in school, and all of America will be in an uproar instead of focusing on key issues. Most of Americans are as isolated mentally from the world as Antartica is physically. They just don't care.

There are some Americans (including me) in this country who are more knowledgeable in politics, world affairs, names of non-American public figures and events. There are some Americans who aren't. So, it's fair to say it's normal, like most other countries. There are some Americans who prefers to be blissfully ignorant of what's going on out there, just focusing on the most important matters of the lives (taking care of family, business, raising children, going to social/sport events or whatever, etc. etc.).

The vast majority of people who voted on American Idol are young people, from teenagers to early 20s; older adults who watched it for entertainment value are in the minority. I used to watch only the first parts of American Idol: people lining up and trying out to become potential idols in auditions. It's fun and hilarious to watch some people making fools of themselves.

You're right there are Americans who doesn't give a damn about what's going on in the world or some key issues. I once discussed with a German poster in a forum board and it was late 2004, he stated he's very glad that John Kerry won the US Presidency and to see Bush leave White House. I had to be the bearer of bad news for him: it's the other way around.

Cynicism and ignorance are not just limited to Americans only.

[edit on 6/25/2006 by pawnplayer]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I don't doubt for one minute that this problem lies with just Americans. It happens a lot in the United Kingdom too.

I suppose no matter what country you are from, you will always get the uneducated who always seem to turn a blind eye, or just choose to ignore the realities of life.
Maybe thats their way of coping with the vile and sick World we now live in?

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Have I noticed the trend Oh Yes.
It is terrifying
Very often I get a response like this: "I don't know anything about what you are talking about" ....and then they change the subject.
Instead of trying to learn something they indulge in private ignorance.
It is according to my opinion not simply ignorance but profound arrogance. "We The People" know it all and what we don't know is worthless.
I am amazed. But is not only an American trade. It is perhaps humans way of protecting themselves as a clan or pack.
WIS
Wish I could spell.

[edit on 25-6-2006 by WalkInSilence]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I just want to add that I agree with BikerEddie in that it's probably not just the United States. But I tend not to comment on other countries or compare the US to other countries, having never been to any other than Mexico. And I have a sense of 'pride' and responsibility about the US as 'my country' that I don't have about other countries, so my disappointment in our citizens' education, civic concern and political credulity is foremost in my mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I don't doubt for one minute that this problem lies with just Americans. It happens a lot in the United Kingdom too.

I suppose no matter what country you are from, you will always get the uneducated who always seem to turn a blind eye, or just choose to ignore the realities of life.
Maybe thats their way of coping with the vile and sick World we now live in?

I agree chap, most people I know couldn't give a monkeys about politics, current affairs etc. Most are content in watching Big Brother Idol Pop Monkey, or whatever. Only a very few of my friends/family can I engage in any meaningful discussion.

On a side note, there is a new magazine in the UK which is like those glossy little "celebrity" rags, but attempts to break down the news into easily digestable pieces for the sheeple masses.

Must be a sign of the times when people get their worldy info from a 50p gloosy rag which has news from Iraq side by side with some pointless tripe about Jade "I'm a fat waste of organic matter" Goody...

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

China - depends on where you go and how far out you get from the major cities. By American standards, China is very poor. In some cities 200USD a month is great money and in others it might be 50USD.

I have talked with many sales representatives who have been to China touring factories there. A dollar an hour is not great money. People in the agricultural community may make less than that, but they don't NEED money for many things you have to buy in the city.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai

I have talked with many sales representatives who have been to China touring factories there. A dollar an hour is not great money. People in the agricultural community may make less than that, but they don't NEED money for many things you have to buy in the city.

What you have to remember is that wages are relative. 1 USD/hr to us may be very little (especially for those of us in the UK where the USD is mickey mouse money).

But, with that USD in China, you can buy a whole lot more than you can in the US.

Dae

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
One of the long term effects of capitalism is lower education quality, which brings and breeds ignorance. The quality of education is lowered because public education is left unattended and unfunded.

Very well put. Which means this is happening anywhere where there has been long term capitalism, including the UK.

Somehow its as if they have made subjects like economy and politics extremely tedious on purpose. They wanted to include Citizenship in schools but found most teachers didnt have a clue on how our government is run or how the economy works, most people dont. If people understood clearly how it all works, do you think they will agree and continue on with it? My hope is not.

Imagine teaching kids that our economy is based on fruad? That Interest rates are impossible to pay off and growth of our economy is based on people and governments taking out loans *shakes head* nothing to do with anything REAL.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
There are many people out there that live in a bubble.
Ignorance truly is bliss. Most folk live out their lives not caring for much out side of their bubble. They watch a little bit of their locally broadcasted news or sometimes scan the paper and accept and take what the MSM gives them.
Sometimes I actually envy them. Imagine what it must be like to believe everything is and will be alright.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Masterp

Very well said but also media manipulation has to do with what Americans interest are diverted.

TV are becoming the first source of learning for our children.

Keeping the population divided between party’s ideologies is the best way to keep more control.

Now the only reason Americans have a global narrow view is because it has been make to be like that by the institutions that controls education, media, religion and politics.

History is only limited to the US alone as the priority next is world history and it only very poor.

Most communist countries do that to their people to keep them oblivious of what is going on around the world and to better manipulated the public opinion about other countries and other races.

That does not mean that you as an individual can not try to find knowledge by yourself but most Americans are to busy or plain lazy to learn any else beyond high school or even what the topics of majors in colleges mostly given by bias teachers and professors.

The rest is learned on TV by a manipulated media or on Church by a manipulating preacher.

Want a solution?

Very simple . . . if you see that your education is lacking or feel that you are missing something . . . go get the education you need and learn by yourself or be selective of what you take in college and question anything.

Make sure that your children learn wide variety of topics with an important variety of different point of view.

Then encourage your children to make their own decisions about situations

Not the TV, the school or the preacher.

Only we as parents, individuals, voters and citizens can make a difference.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You all make great points but I think the problem is deeper than that, it comes down to people in general being selfish and materialistic. Most people regardless of race or creed, think of themselves first and what affects them directly. They have no interest in events hundreds or thousands miles away that they "percieve" has no affect on their daily doings. They feel they are here on earth to "live their lives" and really don't care for their fellow man unless it's right in their face.

sure our media, capitalism and social issues contribute to this mentality, but I think it's human tendency to look and care for yourself before you care for neighbors, especially if they don't look like, speak like or live like yourself.

This mentality cannot be changed easily because it is more deeply rooted than just the superficial, even if we didn't have materialistic goals to chase, we'd still be looking out for own best interest and turn a blind eye to atrocities because we're not involved.

Dae

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
You all make great points but I think the problem is deeper than that, it comes down to people in general being selfish and materialistic. Most people regardless of race or creed, think of themselves first and what affects them directly.

You make an excellent point also. However, we really should hold back on analyzing collective human psychology at least until certain external factors are removed. Rather like rats in a lab verses rats in natural enviorment. At the moment, corporations are using top notch psychology against people to make profits. Coke has managed to embed itself deep with our psyche (Ill find a link to that after) and Coke also reinvented Santa Clause (the red, black and white santa).

For instance, NLP has some amazing workable knowledge about how we humans work and yet the knowledge is not freely available. In fact its very expensive and only well to do people and corporations can afford to send poeple to learn about this. When in my ideal world, this information should be taught to everybody.

sure our media, capitalism and social issues contribute to this mentality, but I think it's human tendency to look and care for yourself before you care for neighbors, especially if they don't look like, speak like or live like yourself.

They dont just contribute to this mentality, they grow and nuture it. We all know how easy it is to control people that way if people are brought up ignorant on how they actually work! What can I say, I believe that 'stuff' is being done to us everyday, twisting us inside with each crass media/corporate tatic to make us buy and behave in certain ways.

And lets not even go the route that there is mind control or waves of depression and fear being washed over us daily, just to get us shopping...

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think people just realize they are powerless to stop this plan that has been set in motion and are pretty much biding their time now with their heads in the sand. I have many friends who think Bush is a great man and that everything the US is doing now is just perfect. I try to explain to them what the larger agendas are and they just think im a conspiracy nut.

Every day i drive down the road and i see the area that i live in and this country and its infrastructure become more and more dilapidated because the money goes somewhere else i.e. iraq, africa, or some other country or corporation. I say forget all those other countries and revitalize our own starting by completely gutting the govt and all the lobbying snakes out of DC. You have to be guilty of treason before you can make a change. All of the founding fathers were traitors and treasonists as the law saw it at the time...We cant keep on this path because at this rate ill give us 10 years max before titors timeline starts to look like a very real possibility.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
you're right Dae, the correct word is Nurture. You could even say Facilitate, Intensify and Encourage, when it comes to govt and corporate manipulation.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
~~

i don't see that most peoples' self absorbsion, and lack of keeping up
on the news events of the day as horrifying

its more the 'norm' than it is the 'exception'

what i would see as 'horrifying' would be a multigenerational group
of super-involved, Rhodes Scholar types, all engaged in the same
'puffery' language & exchange & illuminitive thoughts as,
let's say Henry Kissinger

naw, i like the diversity...i'm used to the average American by now...
and i find it refreshing when i find someone else who has similar values
and has similar interests & delves deeper into issues & events than
the average joe

maybe you should visit more often- a college campus coffee-shop or
wi-fi hotspot where engaged people tend to congregate...

besides, a lot of those supposedly dumb people, are not as dumb as you think

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join