It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu In California?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
4 pelicans have been detained in California. They say they were acting drunk and one of the birds also crashed into the windshield of a car. The birds are now being tested and the public are asked to be on the lookout for birds acting "drunk", disoriented or being in an unusual place. The thing is..., these birds are actually showing symptoms of having the bird flu, and they are asking people to be on the lookout for birds showing bird flu symptoms (without actually saying so). I've seen numerous reports in different media about this "drunken pelicans" story. All of the articles say that these pelicans might be "drunk on sea algae", they don't mention bird flu at all and they have this little story mentioning Hitchcock's movie "The birds" to spice up the story.

ABC News Online: California detains 'drunk' pelicans

June 25, 2006

Four pelicans suspected of being drunk on sea algae were being tested at a southern California wildlife centre after one of them crashed headlong into a car. Three of the California brown pelicans were found wandering dazed in the streets of Laguna Beach after another pelican struck a vehicle's windshield on a nearby coast road.

The other pelicans were rounded up after assistant wildlife director Lisa Birkle warned the public to be on the lookout for birds acting "drunk", disoriented or being in an unusual place. Shellfish tainted with domoic acid was thought to be the culprit behind a 1961 attack of seabirds on people and cars in the oceanside California town of Capitola that inspired Alfred Hitchcock's horror movie The Birds.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder what those tests will show, and I wonder if they'll go public if the birds are found to be infected with the bird flu...

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
...or I could be wrong in my speculation and the birds were actually drunk on sea algae. I just found it strange because the symptoms of bird flu are: "birds acting "drunk", disoriented or being in an unusual place". Unless there is a field with lots of dead birds (like a battlefield). It depends on the bird's species how fast they evt. die. I bet somebody has interests in keeping a bird flu outbreak a secret? And many people would loose a lot of money if it were known. Or maybe they're waiting for the test results before they go public? I guess we'll find out...

[edit on 2006/6/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't know but it would be interesting to see how it unfolds. I think all gov's are under the gun about the bird flu. Countries to date have been blamed for withholding information about their regions and uncounted cases so I don't think that our gov given other affairs that we are involved in would hide any cases once confirmed.
What I do think they would do would be delay the infomation as long as possible because as soon as someone confirms bird flu in this country people are going to panic even though it may be random cases or only isolates related strictly to the bird population.

With that said. I don't recall their being any cases to date regardling pelicans without there being other birds within the same region dropping dead as well. You start seeing that happen and your suspicious would probably be right on target.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I just found this. Coincident?

North County Times: Schwarzenegger: State should earmark $400 million for possible bird flu outbreak

At a Burbank hospital today, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced that he's setting aside $400 million in his proposed budget to support hospitals during an outbreak of bird flu or other emergencies.

"California is more prepared today than ever before and we have taken many steps to ensure a swift and complete response to an emergency," Schwarzenegger said at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center. "But I'm not willing to gamble with the safety of Californians. You can never be too prepared, and with the potential of a pandemic flu outbreak, I felt it was necessary for the state to help out and do more."

Tiscali News

Californians are bracing for the possible arrival of the H5N1 bird flu to the West Coast later this summer in what could be the first sign of the deadly virus in the US as North American and Asian birds mingle before their southward migration.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Again I wouldn't be too alarmed at that statement. Cali like New York are high profile so it would at least to me make sense that a statement would go out stating what a state that size would do in the case of event. I wouldn't be surprised given the incident in Canada for NY to come foward soon and make a similar suggestion.

new topics

top topics

join