It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting Rights Act NOT renewed - Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
House Republicans cancelled the vote that would renew the Voting Rights Act enacted in 1965 that says voting rights cannot be challenged based on race.

Republicans Cancelled the Vote to Renew Voting Rights Act

House Republican leaders abruptly canceled a planned vote to renew the Voting Rights Act on Wednesday...
The law [Voting Rights Act] instituted a nationwide prohibition against voting discrimination based on race, eliminated poll taxes and literacy tests, and put added safeguards in regions where discrimination had been especially pronounced.

Democracy in Chains

US Republicans are planning to change the law to stop black, Hispanic and Native American voters going to the polls in 2008.
This is a strategic stall that is meant to decriminalise the Republican party's new game of challenging voters of colour by the hundreds of thousands.

In the 2004 presidential race, the GOP ran a massive, multi-state, multimillion-dollar operation to challenge the legitimacy of black, Hispanic and Native American voters. The methods used breached the Voting Rights Act, and while the Bush administration's civil rights division grinned and looked the other way, civil rights lawyers began circling, preparing to sue to stop the violations of the act before the 2008 race.
The Republicans target black folk not because they don't like the colour of their skin; they don't like the colour of their vote: Democrat.

In 2004, 88% of the 3 million voters who were chalenged were minorities.

Republicans won't be breaking the law anymore. As is their normal behavior, they either change the law or claim the right not to obey it. And "loyal" pro-Bush Americans will roll over and take it.

Edited for clarity. Thanks No-Nik.

[edit on 24-6-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Amazing isnt it? If something doesnt fit your style, change the law. This way no laws can be broken. Its just all too pathetic.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And loyal Americans will roll over and take it.

About once a day, at least, I read this line just here at ATS, let alone other sites as well.

It is not that Americans will take it, it's that Americans don't know what the hell to do about it.

Perhaps, instead of lambasting Americans with this line, offer some suggestions as to what to do about it.

NN

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I am an American. The "loyal" Americans I'm talking about are the people who STILL support BushCo. Sorry for the confusion.

It's too late to do anything about it. We had our chance to do something about it, but so many people supported what this administration was doing that we (the non-supporters) were way in the minority. We were called Anti-American and told that if we don't like it, move to Canada. We were called traitors.

Now... it's simply too late.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I am an American. The "loyal" Americans I'm talking about are the people who STILL support BushCo. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, got ya

Thanx for the clarification.

That will be $29.95 for instilling confusion.

Now... it's simply too late.

Well, too late, less a civil war.

And by the way ........ I was tagged as anti-amerian and told to move as well, here even last year. Ya, the disablity income I don't receive from the VA will cover the $20grand to pak a family and move out of country.

NN

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There is already an active discussion on the need to renew the sections of the Civil Rights Voting Act that will expire in 2007, available here:

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Please continue the discussion there.

new topics

top topics

join