It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Black Projects (pictures)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Maybe the Aurora is Soviet?

Well it does look triangular from the top, Just needs a black paint job!

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
That doesnt make sense. The aurora myth started when the word aurora appeared on an american budget report.

If you are referring to aurora as any hypersonic aircraft, then yes america and russia probably have flown such craft but I'm not sure that this design would be it. Such a craft would be completely shrouded in secrecy.

GSA

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It makes sense completely if you think about it out of the box so to speak.

A Soviet pilot takes a plane, flies out and lands in the USA. The usa strip it bare, copy it and hand it back - the copying costs millions, but production costs billions - So its still a US project, but to copy a craft not start from scratch...

They did it with a MiG 25 Foxbat, so why not some thing more exotic?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Doesn't the US have a dominance in the arena of spy satellites though?

The Russians had a quick launch capacity unrivalled in the west ( well at least not admitted to) and that always gave them the edge in crisis situations were they could launch area specific low altitude Sat's within days where it would normally take the US weeks to organize the same without managing close to the same mission intensity.

I found this article quite interesting ( more surprised really )

Some intelligence agencies are skeptical about an
impending Soviet breakout from the ABM Treaty because they
believe the evidence is equivocal. One problem is limitations in
satellite verification capability. Only two advanced
photoreconnaissance satellites (called KH-11) are now in orbit,
possibly about half the bare minimum needed. One is long
past its design life. A replacement was reportedly destroyed in
the Challenger explosion (Washington Inquirer Aug 12,1988).
In an 18-month period, there were five satellite launch failures.
In satellites for surveillance and defense, the USSR is
said to have a tenfold advantage. When trouble flares, the
Soviets frequently launch one or more surveillance satellites
within days, while it takes the US at least six weeks to plan a
new space flight. Development of Soviet antisatellite weapons
continue. Space-based lasers may be deployed in the 199Os,
and ground-based lasers may be capable of blinding US
satellites in low earth orbit even now (Wall St July 12,1988).

www.oism.org...

Another limiting factor is space-based intelligence assets, officials said, which have not changed much since the Gulf War. Likely on call for the current operation, intelligence officials said, are US National Reconnaissance Office Ferreg signal and electronic intelligence satellites to pick up air defence radars; KH-11A+ radar imaging satellites; Defense Satellite Communications System (DSCS) satellites; various eavesdropping satellites; and Europe's MOPS meteorology spacecraft.

Such satellites, especially the imaging ones, follow very specific tracks and pass over an area of interest infrequently. Before the current operation, such satellites were unlikely to have photographed Yugoslavia's difficult terrain. "There could be new buildings there we didn't know before," one industry official said.

The USA hopes to solve some of these problems with the Discoverer II series of small imaging satellites, which will be launched in the 2002 time frame, officials said.

www.janes.com...

Then there is the issue of the US purchasing satellite imagery from the French -SPOT, or something- during the first gulf war and also the case where it was French( or someone else ; i forget) having the first photos after the Chernobyl disaster. Whatever the reality American spy sat capability seems to be greatly exaggerated in popular press.

Maybe what makes sense for the Russians is different for the Americans? Also, the Russians might figure that the satellites that they do have a vulnerable enough to attack that it'd be worthwhile having something like a 'backup'?

I would say they found a far less risky measure in deploying short term Sat's that can not , very embarrassingly, be shot down by your main rival. Spy planes are obviously the solution when you want to spy on short notice and on everyone , regularly, but not the ideal for a true global conflagration. Altogether the USSR always seemed to be preparing for a third world war scenario while the US were building a global police force that might or might not have been effective when a 'real war' broke out.

Anyways!

Stellar

[edit on 25-7-2006 by StellarX]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What I am seeing? ATS is missing any good info about secret soviet/russian projects??
There is not any in this thread that is really secret now, but I have two comments.

1. Picture called MiG 70.1 posted by waynos is wrong. It is wooden model made directly for Tony Buttlers book Secret Projects - Soviet Fighters on basis of very old drawing made by Piotr Butowski. The real MiG 70.1 looked like this:

www.hitechweb.szm.sk...

2. Unidentified picture posted by intelgurl is french experimental rocket Mars developed by ONERA.

And because nobody was able to post something interesting, here you are....

Myasischev M-17RP and M-17RP2

Myasischev M-60B

Sokol UCAV

Rossiya SSTO spaceplane

Myasischev - Gurko MG-19

And at the end the best - I think the world premiere - Sukhoi T-54. I will add some info on my web, but only after considering what I can publish and what I cant. Were you thinking that OKB Kolesov double path jet engines and VG wing under fuselage were T-60S characteristics? HA-HA-HA

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by matej
What I am seeing? ATS is missing any good info about secret soviet/russian projects??
There is not any in this thread that is really secret now...

I know, but I wanted to get the thread started with something. Thanks Matej for your quality post!

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Matej, you are quite correct in where that image of the 701 I posted comes from, it is the only one I have, however you said it is wrong but the only image I can see on the link you provided looks exactly the same.

I know you're not daft, so I must be missing something. Can you point me to the picture you meant?

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
maybe not `black` but no one ever mentons russia`s ucav`s

i believe this is the latest idea for alightweight fighter from sukhoi

off topic i know but didn`t MiG sell an early verion of the above concept to Iran , who are now building it , as the Shafaq?

[edit on 26/8/06 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Matej, you are quite correct in where that image of the 701 I posted comes from, it is the only one I have, however you said it is wrong but the only image I can see on the link you provided looks exactly the same.

I know you're not daft, so I must be missing something. Can you point me to the picture you meant?

Yes, of course. Its always better to see than read
I just wanted to point out, that this wooden model looks weired, ugly and uncorrect. Real MiG 70.1 was.... ehm... much beautiful and without canards with vertical tail moved backward.

To harlequin: Picture no 1. is Yakovlev Pchela reconnaissance UAV (en.wikipedia.org...). Picture no 2. is light stealthy fighter study from Sukhoi, but without any connection to Shafagh. Original concept of Shafagh named Integral and later Vityaz 2000 was made by OKB Mukhamedov and later sold to Iran. If we are talking about aerodynamic concept, it is purely from Mukhamedov, it has nothing in common with MiG. However some people from MiG helped Iran with development of Shafagh (engine integration, avionics, etc.).

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Looks kind of like a Tupolev T-22U Blinder. Sort of.

Cool! I always liked Tupolev, their bombers are good (and good-looking).

I'll never stop saying that Russian planes are the prettiest

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Thanks for that. Fortunately I know enough about aircraft shapes and have seen enough 'guesswork' illustrations to realise that the model was less than accurate. In actual fact I am surprised just how close to the real design the model is, in planform layout, it is closer than the early impressions of the Tu-22M were for instance

Great picture though Matej, it gives much more insight into the subtleties of the design.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Piotr Butowski has good sources of information. His speculative Mikoyan MFI drawings were pretty accurate too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join