It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else miss the 8 bit gaming days?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
No I will never miss them. I do not like them. They are evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blasphemy! how old are you, 9?

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'll go you one further...

I've got a fully functioning, Atari 2600, and like 50 games for it!!! And yes, from time to time, I'll still play them...(specially space invaders). There was NO loading time on that sucker, hehe.... (where there is on the PS1 versions of the same games...)

It's simply what I grew up with... I've got a Super NES, a PS1, and an N64 as well, but lately, I just play the PS2... However, for multiplayer games, most consoles suck balls.... Never could figure this one out...

There are rare exceptions (Balder's Gate being one, or Gauntlet Legacy...) but for the most part...you're playing alone....

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Link!!!

I think that that is a pic about the actual machine that me and my Bro had..

*edit*

SVI-728 MSX.. that was it..

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I miss them loads!

But just get your self some emulators and download all the games for all the 8 bit, 16 bit consoles, puters etc.

I got hundreds, great for a retro night of gaming with ya mates after the pub!

I still got my old spectrum, i have one game "gunship" and it takes like an hour to load! Still watching all those wiggly lines and sueaky sounds is strangely calming!

[Edited on 28-10-2003 by Kalistenics]

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
im not saying the replay value in games nowadays sucks, but man i could and still can play the 8 bit nes games for hours on end and not get bored.....

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Let's go back in time...hrmm...I was about ten years old....neighbor friend had PONG!! Couple years down the road another friend had an ATARI!! Spent a whole lot of money on Spy Hunter...Tempest....and Centipede...for what I can remember. My favorite though in the arcades was Dragon's Lair...probably spent over a hundred bucks just to beat that game...again and again. My parents bought us a Commadore 64...played some text-based game that had me looking for card keys and nuclear devices...don't remember the name...but it rocked. As of late...been playing Metal of Honor and that's about it really....sorry to say but...my N64....Dreamcast...and my PS2 have been collecting dust for some years now. Make an offer...hehe.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I actually bought Dragon's Lair for the PC!
When I first came back to the states, I saw that and Firefox in the airport, and my parents had to pry me away, as I was feeding them all my American coins... (only paper money in my pockets were Riyals, and they were worth about 33 cents at the time...and I didn't know where to get them changed....)

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheyWatchYouToo
the most awesome pinball game ever devised

ahh...I love pinball. I love the old ones at least. The new ones use magnets to cheat so they can get more money. so,I will just stick to my pinball game on my computer and the old ones at the arcade.

back on subject: no, the 8 bit games SUCK! The oldest games I like are good old fashioned sega games, like sonic.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
god yes..i was just talking to someone about that today. not only do i miss just the plain old nes, i really dont like anything *but* nes. i could never get myself involved in any of the newer systems, even like the ones as old as super nintendo. the games for nes have much greater plots... and the music for them just owns! i still have my old nes that i got for christmas in like elementary school or something.. i recently bought a new game reader thing.. whatever it is.. the metal thing that goes inside that always wears out... and it works like new! has anyone here every played shadowgate on nes? its one of the best games ever! ill shut up now..i could go on for years about the joy it has brought to my life!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i'm definately all for 8-bit games. i still play nes more than my ps2 and gamecube. i still have love for next gen games though.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
8 bit days? Did any older folk ever play text based games. Amnesia comes to mind..played on the Apple II. Fantastic game.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
and dont forget about the good ole' comodor i liked to play california games on it all the time..

[Edited on 11-18-2003 by sirCyco]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Those old text RPGs....oh yeah....

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I spent many hours typing in programmes from magazines into my brothers ZX81 only to find that the game would crash after the first 5 seconds because I'd made a typing error and I'd have to go all the way through it to find the mistake. Ahhh those were the days. We had a sellophane "green screen" to make it look more attractive.
After that the spectrum was amazing!!
my favorite games on that were attic attack and manic miner. I spent hours playing them.
does anyone remember chuckie egg?( I think I played that on a commodor 64) I could never quite do the last level.

since then I've worked my way through loads of different consols, and loved them all. The only one I regret buying was the sega mega drive which was so dissapointing and didn't live up to any of it's promises. I don't know of anyone else who bought one.

It will be really interesting to see what the future holds for gaming. I can't wait.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This treat is almost retro by itself. Found ya though.

The c64 was a revolution into game-music. A fully programmable onboard 3 track synthesiser made it a unique platform to take the first steps into more artistic ways to enhance the game-play. It's the first platform I know of that had actual musicians that made some fame with their compositions.

There are some soundstanding pieces made for c64-games that stand their ground when covered with conventional instruments. Try searching on the tube. There are tons of tunes, original or covered.

Some outstanding tributes to the age of wild awakening into a digital world, found:

Enjoy your trip back…

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Im a retro video game collector and i have over 1400 games from collecovision to ps3. This includes a whole library of n64 and whole collection of nes and superninteno collection. Older games are MUCH harder then games now a days. Back in the day we would beat probably 2 games of our 10 game collection but now for ps3 we beat all of them. Again thats because of the internet scene and walkthroughs are available to everyone. I dont think i will ever forget games like Zelda Ocarina of time, or super mario 64 or the donkey kong country series. Cant go wrong with the classics.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I started collecting old school consoles and games a few years back. As of right now, i have:

Atari 2600

NES

SMS

Turbo Duo

SNES

Genesis with 32X and Sega CD

Panasonic 3DO

Atari Jaguar

Nintendo 64

Sega Saturn

PS 1, 2, and 3

I keep looking for a Neo Geo I can afford, but no dice so far. I'd also like to get an Atar 5200 and 7800 eventually, but I'm okay with what I have now.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I actually bought Dragon's Lair for the PC!

Lol!!!

What a fail that was

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The best thing about 8 and 16 bit games was that due to the limited graphics capabilities, games were often fantasy based. They were an escape from reality. A lot more thought went into 8 and 16 bit games due to very limited systems. The sound was hardly rubbish either, there is still a lot of chip based music being made.

Compare to a lot of the current generation games which are like being in a movie, the graphics are almost life-like as is the subject matter. Id rather run around exploring a cartoon land than driving around the streets of a modern city commiting crimes or on a battlefield killing everything that moves.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
There is nothing like the older games. The NES brings back memories of my grandma from when i was a kid growing up (God rest her sole).

I remember she bought the first atari and we use to play all the time on the weekends. When she bought me and my sister the sega after is came out it was like watching Americas funniest home videos where the kid gets sompthing and freeks out because he was excited. That was me.

Now that im older i own everything from the old atari to the 64. When im at work and noting to do theres nothing like taking out the the laptop and playing the old games on the emulator
got to love the game systems and they people who created them

top topics

<< 1   >>

join