It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else miss the 8 bit gaming days?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
One thing I've come to truly miss are the days of 8 bit gaming. I seriously have NES and SMS cartridges that are better than theyr 16/32/128 bit sequels. Super Mario Bros. 3 kicked Super Mario 64's ass as far as fun and replayablity go in my opinion. I just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The flickery graphics and poor sound? Nahh. There ARE some 16 bit games that I do miss... like on the ill fated but much loved Turbographx 16 like Bonk's Revenge or Devils Crush (the most awesome pinball game ever devised) but overall I'd say no. You can get compilation discs of the old games on newer systems like the ps2... anyone remember Mappy? For some reason I thought that had really awesome music at the time.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yeah I do miss the good old days. But they are long gone.

But I also enjoy the current gaming scene. Multiplayer Gaming is the future.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't miss them because, thanks to emulation, I still have them! Although it doesn't compare to being 5 years old playing on sonic 1 for the first time.....ahhhhh

Multiplayer isn't the future, a good game has to have both 1 and 2 player goodness, like Football! FIFA is amazing

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Helllll No.

I like my 3d gaming

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

I like my 3d gaming

That makes 2 of us. But I still miss some of the old classics.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
8 and 16 bit I miss..
I miss the good 2-d topdown RPG's, with tons of story and exploration.. compared to todays, boring, linear uber 3-d graffix!!1! rpg's.

However I really like 3-d platformers, Mario64 and Sly Cooper are probably somewhere in my top 10 list of favorite games.

One problem with 3-D platformers though is dev's suddenly decided to make it insanely boring by making you collect 100's of stupid things,that are hidden in the most obscure places. Sly and Mario, while you collect things, it's not nearly as tedius as some, like banjo tooie.

But yeah, I miss alot of those old games also.. but you can get alot of them on gba too, or games like them at least.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EWom
8 and 16 bit I miss..
I miss the good 2-d topdown RPG's, with tons of story and exploration.. compared to todays, boring, linear uber 3-d graffix!!1! rpg's.

Ah, the good days of RPGs like Terranigma and Tales of Phatasia.....ahhhhh

But Zelda is the best, because the snes version was amazing, and the N64 ones are even better.....I can't wait to buy that damn Gamecube

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Life was so much simpler when the goal of video games was to go to the right. Ahhhhh the good old days.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   
AHHHH.... the good ol' days! NAH don't miss it at except for one game i really treasure, Mario Bros! that will be forever as one of my personal classic favs. But as some one said mutilplayer is the furture, i agree, with it comes online gaming! I love it!

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
yes, but that's my misty childhood memories talking, and not an actually thought out opinion

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Games today lack creativity and story line, sure there are exceptions, but there majority of games released are complete and total pieces of #.

Originality is the key.

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Games today lack creativity and story line, sure there are exceptions, but there majority of games released are complete and total pieces of #.

Originality is the key.

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Lysergic]

I agree completely. 99.9% of all games released today are complete and total crap.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
...hell...I remember the days whenever I wanted to play a computer game it involved using casette tapes and 16 minutes to load the damn thing...

...then came the Apple floppy disk days of Aztec, ChopLifter and Dig Dug...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Remember the old Commodore 64? It took half an hour just to load a game. LOL! The memories.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
No I will never miss them. I do not like them. They are evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I mis spent my youth playing sonic 2, always getting stuck on chemical zone 2 or whatever its called, I wasnt a very well co-ordinated child, or adult for that matter...
I loved it anyway.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was 6 years old and played Space Invaders so much I think I have carpal tunnel in my right thumb. God I miss my Atari 2600.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...hell...I remember the days whenever I wanted to play a computer game it involved using casette tapes and 16 minutes to load the damn thing...

...then came the Apple floppy disk days of Aztec, ChopLifter and Dig Dug...

Oh,

Those good old 'C-Casette computer days'..

Now days even CD-ROM isnt fast enough for me..

All that i can stand is Ultra ata-133 7200rpm HD.. and even sometimes it feels too slow..

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I got gamecube and a playstation 1 at the moment, thier pretty good, I dont play them much though, thier my little brothers.
But I loved the good old, Streetfighter 2 days, MarioCart.
Contra was killer too.
I loved Final Fantasy 7 though, even though its not 8 bit, its still my all time favorite game, the only game I ever played and never stopped.
I want to play ff8 though, has anyone played it?
Deep

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join