It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dimension stuff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Imagine a 2d sheet. The sheet has length and width, but no height.
Imagine this sheet is lying horizontally so that if we were to view this plane from a bird's eye view, then we would see the sheet with its length and width.
However if we now view this sheet from another viewpoint so that our eyes are lined up horizontally like the sheet, we would then be unable to see the sheet because the sheet has no height.
Now similarly we have a 3d (spacial dimensions) Universe which we now take as the sheet. A 4d observer can see our Universe from a bird's eye view, but cannot see our Universe when he/she looks from a viewpoint horizontal to our 3d Universe he/she cannot see our Universe.
Seems logical ?
Now remember parallel Universes.
Lets say that we have a Universe with 4 spacial dimensions parrallel to us. A being on that Universe has a bird's eye view of our Universe and should therefore be able to see it !

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think I have an answer.

One of the properties of the 4th dimension is time. One of the properties of (THE PROPERTY) of the 3rd dimension is space.

What's my point? If something is FAR ENOUGH away, you can't see it. If something occurred at a different time, it isn't happening now. Thus, you can't see things in the 3rd and 4th dimensions ALL THE TIME!

You might even assume that anything in even higher dimensions would be even less possible to pinpoint in the here-and-now, so to speak.

I'm not going to argue about Parallel universes, not because I think or don't think that they exist, but there is zero proof to go either way... similar to string theory. There are just too many problems associated with even STARTING an arguement, let alone proving it one way or another.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
Imagine a 2d sheet. The sheet has length and width, but no height.
Imagine this sheet is lying horizontally so that if we were to view this plane from a bird's eye view, then we would see the sheet with its length and width.
However if we now view this sheet from another viewpoint so that our eyes are lined up horizontally like the sheet, we would then be unable to see the sheet because the sheet has no height.
Now similarly we have a 3d (spacial dimensions) Universe which we now take as the sheet. A 4d observer can see our Universe from a bird's eye view, but cannot see our Universe when he/she looks from a viewpoint horizontal to our 3d Universe he/she cannot see our Universe.
Seems logical ?
Now remember parallel Universes.
Lets say that we have a Universe with 4 spacial dimensions parrallel to us. A being on that Universe has a bird's eye view of our Universe and should therefore be able to see it !

As 3 (spatial) dimensional observers looking edge-on at a 2-d sheet, we are trying to see something that is not there - the "height' dimension of the sheet.

Similarly, a 4 (spatial) dimensional observer looking at a 3-d object could see every aspect of the object except from the viewpoint that would display a fourth demensional aspect of the 3-d object, and only because such an aspect does not exist.

I prefer thinking in terms of objects, rather than entire universes. It's impossible to see the entire universe all at once, regardless of your dimensional "location." That is because in our 3-d universe (3 spatial dimensions that is,) there is no such thing as simultaneity. When you take in the entire universe in one viewing, you must by definition be seeing the various portions of the universe at various (relative) times (relativistic astrophysics terms it as different "events" in space-time.)

Harte

new topics

join