It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer, 91, tends massive backyard garden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Farmer, 91, tends massive backyard garden

Randolph Blackmer, a 91-year-old farmer from New England who retired to Orange Park, spends much of his time tending to crops he grows in his 5,000-square-foot backyard...

"His mission is to do something that somebody says can't be done," the son said. "He got discarded ice from a fish market and dumped it on the plants to simulate cool weather. It worked. All you gotta do is tell him it can't be done, and he's ready to prove you wrong."

More...

There is more than one lesson to learn here, imo.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Absolutely, more than one lesson! And he sounds like such a nice guy too. Giving his neighbors food.

It annoys me to see some of the Power Scooter folks sometimes, because you know some of those folks just got so out of shape and refused to do anything physical, so now they are just a mound of out-of-shapedness sitting on top of wheels, slowly rolling through the grocery store. Sometimes I want to say "Get the F**k up and walk." I know some people may really need a Power Scooter, but you know some of those folks could use their legs if they really decided to.

This guy is 91 years old and does more work than many younger people. I bet he doesn't complain much about physical problems, he's just too busy to worry about it.

Troy

[edit on 24-6-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Have any of you read the book by Stephen King, Insomnia? This reminds me of the main character (Ralph) I think, who suffers from insomnia and starts walking. He's a retiree who thinks he shouldn't be doing anything, but when the insomnia starts (he starts seeing little men at night too, by the way) he starts walking to tire himself out. By the end of the book he's walking around the whole GD town all day long! Walks for miles and miles and miles............

Anyway, that's a great story too! :-)

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I think it's fantastic! If he didn't have anything to do he would probably sit around and eventually die. I still wish my grandpa was alive.... he'd love my chickens
, and offer the best gardening tips he could muster.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Someone should go interview him and write down his gardening knowledge before he dies,im sure he has information that others could really use, it would certainly be a shame if it gets lost.

new topics

top topics

join