It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the Attorney General Take Your Stuff Now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Here's an executive order signed today by Bush43. I am wondering if it authorizes new permissions to seize property. Section 3-i sounds like any of our property can be seized now in the case of emergency. Am I reading this right?

Also, what rights does AT&T have under section 3-c?

Why would we need to restate what property rights can't be violated and then list conditions in which they CAN be violated? This sounds like doublespeak.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Executive Order: Protecting the Property Rights of the American People

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to strengthen the rights of the American people against the taking of their private property, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to protect the rights of Americans to their private property, including by limiting the taking of private property by the Federal Government to situations in which the taking is for public use, with just compensation, and for the purpose of benefiting the general public and not merely for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken.

Sec. 2. Implementation. (a) The Attorney General shall:

(i) issue instructions to the heads of departments and agencies to implement the policy set forth in section 1 of this order; and

(ii) monitor takings by departments and agencies for compliance with the policy set forth in section 1 of this order.

[...]

Sec. 3. Specific Exclusions. Nothing in this order shall be construed to prohibit a taking of private property by the Federal Government, that otherwise complies with applicable law, for the purpose of:

[...]

c) conveying the property to a nongovernmental entity, such as a telecommunications or transportation common carrier, that makes the property available for use by the general public as of right;

[...]

(i) meeting military, law enforcement, public safety, public transportation, or public health emergencies.

[...]

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

June 23, 2006.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by smallpeeps]

new topics

join