It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu more widespread than thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Bird flu is more widespread among Indonesia's poultry stocks than previously thought, and will only get worse if more action isn't taken soon in the country with the world's highest number of human deaths this year, an animal health expert said.

"We thought there was dramatic underreporting, but we never imagined that it would be so pervasive," said Tufts University's Jeff Mariner, who is working with the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization in Jakarta.

Widespread bird flu

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
great link ptlomeo, however please add your own summary or thoughts on the topic instead of just posting an article.

imo I think Indonesia will definitely be the place for the first major (as in hundreds) outbreak among humans of h5n1

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
great link ptlomeo, however please add your own summary or thoughts on the topic instead of just posting an article.

imo I think Indonesia will definitely be the place for the first major (as in hundreds) outbreak among humans of h5n1

Yes, WW
I apologize for not having added my own thoughts about it.

Outbreaks of this kind of flu, especially the highly pathogenic bird flu, can be devastating for farmers and poultry. Furthermore, I think that when outbreaks become widespread within a country, control can be extremely difficult. But not only within the country.

I hope that the authorities are taking the appropriated measures in order to control the outbreak, but - as you have mentioned - I am afraid this will be very, very difficult.

Our fear is real. This strain jumps the species barrier and causes severe diseases, with high mortality, in humans.
In relation with "Spread from human to human"; nothing has been confirmed yet, but I do not think it is a matter of time, I rather think it is a matter of - when they will admit that it has already taken place -

Authorities insist that there is no human-to-human transmission, but... I doubt it.

join