It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

music without MTV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
what would music be like without MTV??
i think it would be alot better due to the fact alot of # bands go on MTV and sell # loads only cause they were on MTV

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Dont blame MTV for the current state of music.

Great music is out there. You just have to look for it a bit harder thats all. And frankly I do enjoy some of the shows on MTV.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Without MTV music would probably be much better, because it wouldn't be so much about image as about the sound.

Anyway, if you're a murderdolls fan you've obviously not been looking hard enough for good music.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
Without MTV music would probably be much better, because it wouldn't be so much about image as about the sound.

Anyway, if you're a murderdolls fan you've obviously not been looking hard enough for good music.

How rude!
lol
nothing wrong with murderdolls

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
music without mtv? try listening to non US bands.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
i dont know, i think MTV helped fuel new kinds of music and even pushed certain kinds of music to new levels. now its not even music television, its just shows. MTV was like a jukebox that always stayed on, 9 times out of 10 if you turned your TV to MTV you could hear music but not anymore. whether this is good or bad i dont know as i dont care because i stopped watching years ago.

i do understand that some people hate the music they push presently because it doesnt fit YOUR style of music. boohoo. not everyones music can be pushed. sheeple want R&B and rap and bubble gum pop music and thats what they get. of course i think this "want" was fostered by certain companies buying commericial time on MTV enfluencing what MTV played. so it goes hand in hand. they also appeal to the baser emotions of teens whose taste is questionable most of the time.

the truth is "metal" doesnt cut it like it used to and because its not popular its not getting as much air time as rap does. they are there to make money and they dont really give a damn if they're alienating whole groups of people in the process because they are appealing to a larger market of people.

i think MTV has also given some rather bad impressions of music. such as what actually constitutes punk music. their definition seems to be very loose as green day is considered punk and matchbox 20 (i'm not kidding, i wish i was). they define the music for those who tune in, they show them partially what some want to see but mostly what they want to show them because of companies doing business with them and those in charge of MTV will push what THEY like first and what we like dead last.

MTV use to be pretty cool when they have VJ's that seemed like normal people doing a job and seemed to be the average music fan, like most of us. then they went and hired nut jobs like kennedy and it all went downhill.

about the only entertaining thing MTV has done in the past 10 years or so is jackass. how many more seasons of the real world do we need? or road rules for that matter! christ what season are they doing now for the real world? 200th season? they're the whole reason for this stupid "reality TV" trend that has been beaten like a dead horse. its not "reality" if it wouldnt happen without corporate sponsors and a lot of cameras. more like staged drama TV.

MTV has had a bigger impact on american than most of us realize. some of its good and some of its bad, to take one you gotta accept the other.

but i do think they should focus more on music than mindless boring shows or they should change their name to TTV for teenager TV seeing as how they dont really play music videos anymore.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Damn, I nearly forgot that MTV used to play music, and I've had it since it started broadcasting on Manhattan Cable.

Back then, it created the superstars. Now? I don't know... I find myself irritated by it, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Let them make a spinoff channel called "Stupid #" and put their lovely collection of game shows and reality shows on there instead. MTV. MUSIC Television god damn it.

Music without MTV? It's not hypothetical anymore, it already happened. The only time you can catch a video on MTV is at 3AM or in the early afternoon when the 11 year olds are gawking and screeching in the face of the drug dealing cokeheads they worship.

Let me tell you, nothing is as fun for a music enthusiast as watching a video on MTV only to have it interrupted by "whats up this is kristen from connecticut and i wanna give a shout out to my friends woooooooo". Right in the middle of the damn song...

MTV stopped being about the music a long time ago. Watch M2, listen to non top40 radio (they only play the same songs in a strict rotation all day anyways) and go to a concert or two. That's the music.

[Edited on 10-28-2003 by Djarums]

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When the average musician is more than capable of producing music as good as most of the shyte on MTV I think there is something wrong. As for all the boy bands and teeny boppers, they dont write their stuff, they dont play any instruments and yet they make millions as a recording artist, WTF? I dont blame them cuz if I had the opportunity I would do the same and get rich and famous for being a puppet to the recording industry.
The music is so bad on MTV and VH1 that I have even watched CMT to hear sounds that resemble music, this is not good.
Music would be better off w/o MTV becaue talented musicians would get noticed easier and the morons who like crappy music b/c it is popular would be forced to hear good music.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I can't remember the last time I turned on TV and they actually had MUSIC playing.... Did they suddenly do a 180, and start playing it again? They're too busy showing crap nowadays....

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
MTV is shyte cos they dont have any heavy metal show now i remember when they had Headbangers Ball.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I think Mtv2 has Headbangers Ball now, they play mostly # though, or so I�ve heard at least.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Yeah Headbangers ball plays mostly crap like Limp Biskit,Linkin Park and the like dont they?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Actually, I don't think they play that kinda stuff on headbanger's ball. The stuff I see on there is pretty hard in my opinion. All kinds of crazy double bass drumming and guys with gruff voices, you know what I'm talking about. A lot of recent stuff, but they include other stuff from the 80s like Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies. It's really not too bad. I'm happy they added MTV2 to basic cable, though there's still a lot of your typically crappy rap music. But oh well... All in all I think music would be pretty much the same whether MTV ever existed or not. Someone would have come along with that idea, but maybe they would have done a better job? Good music is still out there, but not much of it will ever really make it to the mainstream.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I was curious what effect may occur by posting in one of the oldest dormant music threads... if anything. After the mid 90s I stopped watching MTV and never looked back since... until I happened to stumble across this thread which triggered a childhood memory.

How many remember this Day or this time frame?? 😂😂😂

On Saturday, August 1, 1981, This was the very first song played on MTV.

The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

Film composer Hans Zimmer is the keyboardist in black toward the end of the video.

Below was the actual original video that played with the very first song on MTV.

I practically grew up on MTV starting in Aug of '81 back before it all went to hell. Those were the days and I made up every excuse under the sun to skip school so I could melt my brain all day long.

MTV Launch

new topics

top topics

join