It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

metal storm?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
yes, because you know you need thousands of rounds a minute of plastic bullets for crowd control.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
With a gun firing 1 000 000 rounds a minute you can fire for a split second and hit a plane missile etc. and i doubt you would put one of these on a normal vexhile they are made to be put on things like frigates what i heard.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The Metalstorm system's biggest virtue (according to its developers) is also its greatest vice. Ultra-high rates of fire are the *only* real advantage Metalstorm has over a conventional weapon, and they bring at least two huge problems trailing in their wake:

1) Supply. Someone above already mentioned this one. If you're firing 1,000,000 rounds per minute, how do you keep the weapon supplied? Those rounds don't spontaneously appear, they have to be flown / trucked / carried to the point of use. There's also the reload problem...Metalstorm more or less requires you to change barrel assemblies in order to reload...not something I'd relish doing under fire.

2) Overkill. 1,000,000 rounds per minute is impressive...and the first one or two guys in the beaten zone are going to be so dead their grandchildren will be born bleeding...but what about the *next* few fellows...or the next few dozen fellows? Now that you've dumped a million rounds into the first ten men, the *rest* of the platoon will stroll over (while you're frantically mucking about trying to dismount very hot barrels and mount new ones) and beat you with primitive sticks. You simply don't *need* that kind of rate-of-fire for any really practical military application.

Metalstorm might be useful in some very 'niche' areas on the battlefield...but by and large, it's a solution looking in vain for a problem.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Contrary to what defense contractors and their "contacts" within the military think, the average grunt does not need more electronics.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Metal storm is not just a 1,000,000 rpm weapon, it is the concept of stacked bullets in a multi barrel system, therefore being able to be fired at awesome rates, and in the 1 million for instance all rounds are pretty much fired at once. I think that being able to be fired at such a speed is more of a showcase, look at my weapon, it can be fired faster than anything ever before.

The metal storm concept has been adapted into several forms, being either a 4 barreled 40mm grenade launcher or a 4 barreled 9mm pistol. The actual system is not complex in its firing, rather it has been designed to be as simple as possible, and the whole aim is for the only moving part to be the projectile.
Of cause the battery of computer controlled artillery is not simple, being wired to one of the most advanced computer surveillance and reconnaissance systems in the world, but the actual weapon mechanism is the same. It will require about as much training as regular artillery, but transferred into more computer skills, seeing as this system is fully automated.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wizard_1988
You guys, surprise surprise, there is a handgun version of Metal Storm

www.videosift.com...

Looks like the video you linked is already dead. Have any info on it to share?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloak and Dagger

Originally posted by Wizard_1988
You guys, surprise surprise, there is a handgun version of Metal Storm

www.videosift.com...

Looks like the video you linked is already dead. Have any info on it to share?

try this, it doesn't look like its the same video but it's still about the turret version of the metal storm gun.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-7-2007 by tyralen]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
“Metal Storm” topic has been chewed to death on ATS.

Here it is;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoidandroid
That weapon system is very impressive no doubt, but what happens if the weapon is exposed to an Electo Magnetic Pulse or static discharge of some type on the battle field? I believe that you would be left with nothing more than an expensive paper weight, and those gas operated and inertia operated weapons will still be shooting.

metal storms are usualy just an attachment for a normal rifle. so if you have that problem you still got a normal gun to shoot with

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

metal storms are usualy just an attachment for a normal rifle.

I have never.
Ever.
Heard this.

Link?

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Iblis he is referring to the AICW (Advanced infantry combat weapon Australia is the country running this project)
THe AICW is an aussie built Steyr AUG assault rifle with a 3 shot metal storm 40mm grenade launcher top mounted. And unlike our OICW theirs works.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Can we please stop keep posting repeat metalstorm threads?

It all has been discusses on ATS at least a dozen times.

When looking for a particular topic I simply use ATS search options, instead of keep bringing zombie posts back from the dead.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've heard Metalstorm has Star Wars applications. Its electromagnetic firing system would be more effective in zero g environment than conventional firearms and the high rate of fire would obliterate an incoming warhead.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I've heard Metalstorm has Star Wars applications. Its electromagnetic firing system would be more effective in zero g environment than conventional firearms and the high rate of fire would obliterate an incoming warhead.

And I’ve heard that Metalstorm shoots poisoned bullets that turn people into zombies, kinda like T-virus in that movie, and that Han Solo wants one for his Millennium Falcon, because it like shoots a million bullets at one time to totally blow up all those Tifighters!

danwild6, gas guns in the 21st century, are you serious?

Metalstorm has been debunked time and time again, as yet another half baked creation with the sole purpose of fleecing the American taxpayer.

Go to MetalStorm web site and look up their board of directors. You’ll find retired US army gents that went through the revolving door of the Pentagon.

MetalStorm is a SCAM, plain and simple.

If anybody seriously thinks that a MUZZLE loading, single use, cumbersome and heavy multi barrel monstrosity will ever be used by ANY army n the world, then you guys seriously need to look up some basic history of firearm evolution.

This asinine “concept” is NOT man portable, it HAS to be supported by a whole bunch of people and equipment, and it can’t even comes close to what a single 120mm mortar has been doing since WW1.

For crying out loud, the only thing MetalStorm is apparently good at is mesmerizing impressionable teens with its “1 million rounds per second” nonsense.

This is what happens when we encourage a disposable generation.

How about this one – “Hey there buddy, stop shooting at me for a sec, I just ran out of bullets, so I’ll just find a UPS and ship my gun to the factory to be reloaded, OK?”

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Metalstorm debunked
Sorry hadn't heard that. I have wondered about practicality and usefulness in some of its proposed aps, the hand gun version looks pretty ridiculous. However in regards to Ballistic missile defense, a satellite firing rounds tipped with depleted uranium at a rate of 10,000/sec combined with the fact that metalstorm has no moving parts reducing the need for maintenance(no shuttle missions necessary), metalstorm does seem to be a logical platform as part of a greater space based defense system.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by danwild6]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Metalstorm debunked Sorry hadn't heard that.

Who's JUN YANG? Min Qiang? Who's the "powerful Chinese bureaucrat" and whom did he contact?

Where did this come from? - "O'Dwyer's concerns are shared by the US government which has classified Metal Storm as a technology which must not fall into the hands of America's enemies…"

And how the hell did they supposedly qualify under SBIR/STTR? It's a small US high-tech business support initiative under DoD cap.

As far as I know last year Metal Storms DoD contract was dumped indefinitely, and their stock has been slipping ever since. For example, from 4+ in Nov 05 they bottomed out at 0.5 in July 06, and slowly climbed to 2.5 in Sept do to some projected UAV/UGV 40mm tests.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The same link was provided a few posts before.

Current Metalstorm stock is practically non existent, and investors that didn’t get the message are bailing out in attempts to salvage what ever is left;

stocks.us.reuters.com...

Science fiction is fun, but the reality is that MetSt is DEAD, because it actually succeeded in doing what is was designed to. That is securing R&D funds from DoD and speculating on the stock market, that’s the true extent of this “weapons” design.

It was a scam from the very start, not a real weapon.

However in regards to Ballistic missile defense, a satellite firing rounds tipped with depleted uranium at a rate of 10,000/sec

And what do you think the recoil would be from such an attempt? Equal and opposite? So what would be shooting out the back to stop the firing platform from being thrown out of orbit?

So the satellite is supposed to have TWO “MetalStorm” banks mounted in opposite directions, so when one is shooting to engage, the other is shooting backwards?

[edit on 28-9-2007 by iskander]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Okay point conceded. Metalstorm was/is a hoax and if we aren't currently doing so we should start tracking down the fraudsters. But in regards to the recoil from one of the advantages of the metalstorm "system" was to be reduced or eliminated recoil. But regardless its a moot point now

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join