It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cthulhu??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

Originally posted by ashanu90
lovecraft didnt come up with the idea of the necronomicon, its a real book written a long time ago by some guy called the mad arab, ive actually read through alot of it, its not as interesting as it was made to seem in the evil dead and army of darkness though it is cool just to have, also h.p. lovecraft exagerated alot about the book itself

The Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred, is also a creation of Lovecraft. First clue, Abdul Alhazred isn't actually an Arabic name. Alhazred, the Necronomicon, Cthulhu, the Elder Gods, the Old Ones and R'lyeh are ALL a part of Lovecraft's fiction; fiction which Lovecraft willingly allowed to be used by other writers in order to build a more robust and substantial lore.

And while I am sure you have read the Necronomicon, I very much doubt it is the actual Necronomicon...what with it being an idea and not a thing. There are lots of different horror books, 'spell' books etc which all carry the name nowadays.

Yup.
A lot of people confuse the Necronomicon with the "Egyptian Book of the Dead", which is simply a book concerning death rituals and funerary activities.
Of course, the Book of the Dead is actually real.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
From Cthulhu to Cloning

A critical examination of the role Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos played in setting the stage for the ancient astronaut hypothesis with an emphasis on the connections among "alternative" authors.
jcolavito.tripod.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I reckon that most of you here might be intrigued to know that cthulhu is an actual deity in Tamil cosmology and lovecraft just borrowed the idea from there. Ostensibly, I could not find a valid source for citation as there are none available relating to this language in the world wide web. This however does not mean that the bloop is an actual allusion to the existence of cthulhu..........It might just be something else entirely. The ocean is vast and abysmal and who knows what lurks within its deepest recesses or darkest confines. Mayhap it is best that we never know lest we lose our sense of being sanguine.
edit on 8-7-2011 by Leonardo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Didn't they say the unexplained "bloop" sound came from the same area (long and lat) as cthulu in the lovecraft story?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The Great Chtulhu is dread awesomness!! Those who are lucky enough to be alive when he awakens will bask in his beautiful horror. To look upon him is to know limitless insanity.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
One more Cthulhu factoid of note is that his/Its undersea city, R'lyeh, is of a non-Euclidean geometry architecture, which, I believe, is at least part of what drives tourists to the burg insane.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

exactly!

sweet avatar BTW. I love that piece.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Cthulhu for president !!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

Why vote for the lesser of the evils??

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Cthulhu Worship:
The belief that when the stars line up right, some magical flying octopus from outer space who's been sleeping under the south pacific for a hundred million years is going to wake up and eat your soul.

Makes perfect sen......................

AAAARRGGHHHHHHH MY EYESSSSSS! THE ANGLES!!! OH GOD!! THE ANGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2fbb8c6ef3c1.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7da1b0ff2c0.jpg[/atsimg]

Abdul Alhazred was to my knowledge the name he gave himself when writing stories as a child.

edit on 9-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Isn't something of that sort supposed to happen somewhere around in 2012?

This might just be interesting....
edit on 10-7-2011 by Leonardo01 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am a follower of Cthulhu,
and I lead a mad horde,
searchin' everywhere for our fallen overlord.

And though we need him more than want him,
still we'll have him for all tiiiiime,
when his city of Rl'yeh
ascends from the sliiiiiime!

You see, I met this crazy Arab,
and he showed me his book,
I thought it couldn't hurt just to have one little look,
and though I couldn't read the language,
it did something to my mind.
Now I'm searching for something,
I'd rather not fiiiiiind!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by radkrish

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Was reading The colour out of space last night in bed. Shame the weathers so pleasant, much prefer to read them when theres a roaring gale outside.

edit on 11-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join