It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cthulhu??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I've heard of this creature/being name cthulhu, anyone else? What is it?

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Cthulu is a monster from space in short stories by H.P Lovecraft. I've read a collection of short stories by him and other authors called "Tales From The Cthulu Mythos" which is quite cool, about Cthulu and other creatures of the same ilk. It's a good read, some unnerving bits, especially the tale of evil dolphins!
I can't remember if Lovecraft based it on some kind of "real" myth tho.

Metallica are fans of this stuff, and have recorded a few songs based on it like "The Thing That Should Not Be" and "Call Of Ktulu". Nice way of avoiding any copyright issues there guys. I'm off to write a song called "Enter Nandmas".

Cheers

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Cthulhu is a cousin of the dark god google, go ask him.

U2U sent

[edit on 23-6-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The psionic emmanations from dread Cthulu as he awakens from his nearly-eternal slumber and rises out of the pacific from the dead city will surely begin soon!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtan

Will you be first?
www.geocities.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
"Whoever speaketh of Cthulhu shall remember that he but seemeth dead, he sleeps, and yet he does not sleep, he has died and yet he is not dead, asleep and dead though he is, he shall rise again. Again it should be shown that

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death may die."

Oh God! I can see Forever.

Circus

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Cthulhu (other spellings: Kutulu, Kthulhut, Thu Thu, Tulu[1], and many others) is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos created by horror author H.P. Lovecraft.[2] Cthulhu is often preceded by the title Great or Dread.

Lovecraft suggested that Cthulhu is pronounced "Khlul'-hloo" (IPA: [ˈʀlʊlχlu])[3]. According to Lovecraft, however, this is merely the closest that the human vocal apparatus can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language. Other possible pronunciations include /kəˈθuːluː/, /kəˈθʊːluː/, or /kəˈtʰʊːluː/.[4]

Although the cycle of stories written by Lovecraft, his protégés, and his literary successors bear the label "Cthulhu Mythos" (a term invented by August Derleth and never used by Lovecraft), Cthulhu is arguably one of the least terrible creatures in the pantheon.[5] Cthulhu himself[6] debuted in Lovecraft's short story "The Call of Cthulhu"[7] (1928)—though he makes minor appearances in a few other of Lovecraft's works[8].

Edit to add:

Cradle of Filth wrote a song called Cthulhu Dawn, which is on their Midian album. It's damn good, and even better playing along to it.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venoaris
I've heard of this creature/being name cthulhu, anyone else? What is it?

Cthulhu began the decades long tradition of a foolish belief in "Ancient Astronauts." It was with Lovecraft that this silly idea originated, in his works concerning Cthulhu and the other "Elder" gods.

Harte

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Want to get a glimpse of Cthulhu on the big screen this summer?
Check out the latest Pirates of the Caribbean, the nemesis pirate is
very much modeled on big C (as we like to call him around the lair).

If you haven't already googled, and are still interested, then get over
to google where you can find lists of books, movies, games, music videos,
filk, and over 800 short stories, novels, and scripts inspired by Lovecraft,
to fill your nights with terror and tummy with squishy humor.

Now I believe the stars are right to move this thread to BTS where it
should sink into a timeless slumber beneath the notice of truth seekers..

[edit on 23-6-2006 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
vote cuthulu this election year

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Is this the same creature (?) that is mentioned in the Necronomicon?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
Is this the same creature (?) that is mentioned in the Necronomicon?

Could be since Lovecraft created them both.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
somebody watched the movie ''Out of Mind'' ?

www.thelurker.com...

besides
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Cthulhu will rise from the depths on december 21st 2012 at 11:11am GMT.

Contact me for T-Shirts

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
From what I have briefly read back when I read some of Lovecrafts stuff, he is a emormous octupus type deity that is at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

One other thing to note about someone said Metallica wrote the song Call of Kathulu. Dave Mustaine claims he wrote it and they stole it and gave it that name. I can't remember what Dave had named it. It had the word Winter in it I am pretty sure. I am just to lazy to look it up cuz I'm on 56k.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
Cthulhu will rise from the depths on december 21st 2012 at 11:11am GMT.

Contact me for T-Shirts

this made me laugh so hard and outta no where....I swear everyone in the office thinks am nuts!...lol

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
cthulu was hp lovecrafts stab at religion

he blended religion with pseudo-science and horror to provide the world with horror stories.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Cthulhu is a cousin of the dark god google, go ask him.

U2U sent

[edit on 23-6-2006 by masqua]

DooD!!!!

I blew a fine mist of nacho cheese Dorito crumbs all over my keyboard just now!!!!

OMG!!

Sheesh look what you made me do! And now I'll have to clean up before the IT mgr sees it, or well have snacks banned from our desks again. . . .

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Cthulhu has even influenced computer games

popular mmorpg world of warcraft has a boss named "c'thun" thats lore seems very simmilar to Cthulhu hell even the name is very similar

wikipedia artical can be found here

Cthulhu is listed under design influences

[edit on 17-7-2006 by ivzm]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Cthulhu is a fictioious alien god (amongst other gods) that lies dreaming in a city at 47°9′S, 123°43′W in the southern Pacific Ocean, that is also 50 nautical miles south of Austalia.

P.S. I've seen references to zombies and the Cthuloid Deities, the only god that turns people into zombies or a zombie like state is Glaaki.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join