It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Such Thing as Science "Fiction?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I was just glancing through some of the topics here, and I thought I'd ask if it might occur to some of you that not all science fiction is really factual, and intended to "prepare us" for some kind of ultimate disclosure of... whatever.

The old sci-fi drama "V," starring Mark Sanger, was not a documentary. It was a fictional portrayal of reptilian aliens pretending to be human to take over the world.

"Stargate" and "Stargate SG-1" are fictional dramas. They're not "based" on anything real. Some guys had a second-hand idea for a story, and they came up with this stuff out of their heads.

And just in case you're still having difficulty, here are some other fictional sci-fi stuff you might have somehow confused with reality:

The X-Files
The Invaders
Space: 1999
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Battlestar Gallactica
Lost in Space
Planet of the Apes
Mork and Mindy
Fireball XL-5
Bride of Chucky
The CBS Evening News
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Come on, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.!!!

The die hard conspiracy theorists will be hard to convince.

Day turning to night - somethings going on here!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ah ha!! I knew Ultraman was real!!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, I beg to differ, they wouldn't have a meaning or definition for it if it didn't exist.
Science fiction is the stage's before science fact.

Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words.
The noun science fiction has one meaning:

Meaning #1: literary fantasy involving the imagined impact of science on society

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Enkidu, are you trying to tell me that Robin Williams is HUMAN?

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
nah, you don't say, what these shows were fiction, no way. don't you think we know that.

you have no idea the impact that sci fi can have on people and society in general. watch spielberg and you will see these things are very thought out.

look at the program taken, this series was based on the montauk series books and the roswell crash. whether montauk project actually took place, a similar project would have taken place in some other way. we cannot say that the montauk project is actual fact, but you can be sure that the people running this world would always want to investigate, the projects that were outlined in those books.

even lucas descibes his star wars stuff is the story of america told in a fictional way. just because you do not understand these things thats you problem.

what are the big brother shows on tv for. to get us used to being watched 24 hours a day in our lifes, this is fact.

so do not come on here thinking you are just talking to some 2 year old that do not understand anything and how to analyse something. if you don't like scifi, thats your problem.

in the real world conspiracies happen, my life is proof of that. the world could not run without conspiracies, so the story that the xfiles is portraying is not far wrong, take away the alien stuff and you are left with powerful people running the show from behind the scenes, this is reality powerful people really do run things behind the scenes, so whats your point on that.

just get over yourself. just because people like you cannot understand scifi, it does not mean that others can't.

i say again, go and watch spielberg talking about why he makes what he does, alot of thought goes into his works, he is projecting something that you do not understand. he bases everything he does on something and projects it a certain way. like lucas with star wars, his work is all based on something, and he is telling some story, behind the story.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
i say again, go and watch spielberg talking about why he makes what he does, alot of thought goes into his works, he is projecting something that you do not understand. he bases everything he does on something and projects it a certain way. like lucas with star wars, his work is all based on something, and he is telling some story, behind the story.

Spielberg takes folklore and dramatizes it. Lucas and Star Wars was working with favorite folk tale archetypes. Current thinking is that human minds do carry some kinds of pre-loaded patterns in our heads, so we don't have to learn everything literally from scratch. That's why little kids love to hear or watch the same story over and over again. It resonates in their heads in some way they don't understand, but enjoy.

What the movie people do is take something they have an interest in, which they think a large number of other people have an interest in, then put them into a story about a person or small group of people, for entertainment. Their ultimate goal is to make a buck. If they happen to get to play with their favorite archetypes, all the better.

Their goal is not to "prepare" us for anything.

new topics

top topics

join