It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bench Press

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, thought I'd start this topic off where we left off..with the defining measure of upper body strength..the..bench press. And also because I made more progress toward my 350lb goal this week..climbing to withing just 10 pounds of it. Yep, 340 for 8 reps and I really felt every one of them. I think I know what Arnold meant by being high on it because for a few minutes after, I was kinda buzzed.

[Edited on 14-6-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
wow thats alot of weight...

i do weights but only to try tone up i never lift lb's out of the double figures.. i can press over 120lb but i dont do it as i cannot do it alot of times.. i put lowish amounts on the spinlocks and just do it for 100+ presses each time...

even that makes me ache..

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I haven't done anything like that for years......I'm waiting to get some new weights, so in the meantime I've been using household objects like stools and guitars.....

No fun......but after about 500 reps even a guitar gets heavy

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Progress update. Mission accomplished. I benched 350 yesterday. ..for 8 reps.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a guy i know who lives in canada can bench 350 lb last i heard he benched 400 lb

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Okay, thought I'd start this topic off where we left off..with the defining measure of upper body strength..the..bench press. And also because I made more progress toward my 350lb goal this week..climbing to withing just 10 pounds of it. Yep, 340 for 8 reps and I really felt every one of them. I think I know what Arnold meant by being high on it because for a few minutes after, I was kinda buzzed.

I know what you mean, it really gets all the blood flowing. I used to be able to bench 80lbs (im a girl)
and that was so exhilerating..but after, it's the adrenaline and blood rushing through your veins...

Also, congratulations on your goal, thats pretty amazing...

Just remember to inhale when pushing up and exhale coming down...

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Also, congratulations on your goal, thats pretty amazing...

Thanks. and I will remember to breath correctly. Thats great advice and its crucial when pushing such weights. I'm now up to 2 sets of 8 with the 350. Looking at 360 in another week. This has been a dream of mine for the last 10 years so I finally decided to make it happen. I originally set out to join the 300 club but once that was done, I was hooked. I also do another 3 nights a week on the other areas.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i need to start working out. im 6'7'' 200 pounds. i need a way to add at least 20 to 25 pounds aby september.
any sugestions?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
KrazyIvan,

Excellent way to lost weight quick is the treadmill believe it or not...

And guess what????

It's not how fast you run, it's how much incline you do.

I put my treadmill on (incline) 14 , and so some weights after..... I feel great...

the best way to do this, is turn your tv on, stay on the treadmill for 45-60mins, warm up on 2.6, after turn it up a notch to 2.8 to 3.0 and incline as much as you can.

This is the best way in my opinion.

Other workout machines are crap, infomercials know that the equipment is crap, and people won't use it, they are just trying to make money FAST before anybody finds out the # doesn't work.

TREADMILLS ALL THE WAY BABY!

Talk about definition!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
what are you maxing out at astro, (1 rep)? or have you tried? and what is your current height/weight?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I usually have to get at least 6 reps before I am satisfied enough to say I can bench it. I'm now at a 360 bench doing 2 sets of 10 with 350 and then a set of 8 with the 360 . To me, doing a 1 rep max doesn't help me much and its more about making every minute spent doing it productive to overall growth than bragging rights. Perhaps I'll get to 400 one day, perhaps I won't. I have to believe its an inevitable result if I keep building. Of course I'm 35 now and not 17 so my bones have hardened all their going to and actually, my forearms hurt for an hour after benching the 360 so I may be nearing the limit of my bone structure as well. I know a guy that routinly benched over 400 and was in competition trying 600+ ( I heard this, wasn't there) when he let the bar wobble and broke both wrist. One has to know those limitations.

My current height is 6'1" and I weight 238lbs so I'm big enough to be benching more than I am. My chest is a 52, waist 38, I enjoy long walks on the beach, Tolstoy and watching people run for their lives.

:w:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
My current height is 6'1" and I weight 238lbs so I'm big enough to be benching more than I am. My chest is a 52, waist 38, I enjoy long walks on the beach, Tolstoy and watching people run for their lives.

Dude, I could so take you.

Congrats on the 360. My bench has been shot since dislocating both shoulders, and I've basically resigned myself to never getting near where I used to be.
Hell, if I can hit 200 again, I'll be amazed.

-B.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Banshee, honey, I don't doubt it, I'm a pushover!

I hear ya about the shoulder thing. I was sidelined last year for a few weeks because of my right delt. People don't realize that so many other factors and muscles come into play when working with higher weights. I took 290 up for a rep, felt it strain but was too late. Anyway, I sypathize and wish you a full and speedy recovery. Try to resist working it too soon, drink lots of grain alcohol and get plenty of rest.

Your website rocks, love the Rob Zombie tune and just know you have another fan! I'm in KY and don't get to the Carolinas much but if you ever wrestle here, drop me a U2U and I'll be there with bells on. I was a wrestling fan back when Gordon Solie announced for Georgia Championship Wrestling but I admit, I haven't followed it too closely since the old days.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hm, I think it's breathe out�@when you push, breathe in when you come down.
Is it just me, or are people stronger now adays? Maybe it's because of all the things you can take. I don't take a weight lifting class. I work out at my house, so I don't really get to compare to anyone. I'm 17, and weigh about 145, and am around 5'7 1/2. I can bench press...well my max for like one rep was about 203-205. I think I might be at the peak of what I can do untill I grow more (I'm a little late with the growing thing, probably have alot more to do. Most people think I'm 13.). because no matter how much I work out, I just can't seem to get past this. And my bones hurt a little when I do it. Collar bone and shoulders. I could even sware my bench press is going down! I used to think 205 was alot for my age (I guess it kinda is for my size) but I hear of alot of people my age doing in the upper 200's!!!
But then again, I've never taken any suplements like creatine or anything... I've used protein powder, but I don't think that really counts. Any thoughts or suggestions to help me out?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
it is breath out when you push, but to moderate your breathing is very important...

You will reep the benefits you deserve by inhaling for 5 and exhaling for 5, i've been getting back into the weight lifting that i used to do, I gotta say that weight lifting if my all time fav workout, although it's an anerobic workout, i'm still seeing results...
Don't forget to add some cardio though, very important.
And always breath! I used to be able to pick my dad up over my should and swing him around, I was 17 at the time, now, I can't do that anymore, although i'm working up to it. I can't wait to see him, that will be the ultimate test.......To see if I can pick him up and swing him... lol.... good memories.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I also do cardio. I run up the mountain near my house, or the 2 mile course around my neighborhood. The mountain is much much harder. I think the trail is only like a mile, but going up a mountain...makes it so hard.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
astrocreep.... i
to you

right now, i can max 235, rep 205. i can usually rep 205 6 times with 3 sets. i m sorry....i suck... but hey i m only 15

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I dunno 2009, I'm gonna have to call you bluff on that one. Unless of course you're using creatine...then I believe you. But I guess it also depends on your weight. But I don't really know any 15 year olds who can do that much. Hell I'm 17, and I've only done 205 once. But I only wigh about 140-145. Unless you're real hard core weight lifter I'm pretty skeptical. Or like I said, you use some sort of performance enhancing thing.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
I dunno 2009, I'm gonna have to call you bluff on that one. Unless of course you're using creatine...then I believe you. But I guess it also depends on your weight. But I don't really know any 15 year olds who can do that much. Hell I'm 17, and I've only done 205 once. But I only wigh about 140-145. Unless you're real hard core weight lifter I'm pretty skeptical. Or like I said, you use some sort of performance enhancing thing.

He can do it... When I was 16 and mind you i'm a girl, I was a weight lifting fein. I took creatine during and after my workout, I would have a little bit during school and workout. I used to be able to pick my dad up over my shoulders and swing him he was 180 lbs.

So he's 15, if he's really going at it, it can be done.
drinking lot's of water is good for your muscles while you work out.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
i can do 8 with 90kgs. havent tried with more weights but i think i could lift 100kgs atleast once...
damn the lbs...
put em in Kgs fs

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join