It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis? My questions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've been having some strange events happen to me while I sleep over the last few months.

The first is an unfounded fear of falling asleep.

Although I wake up at 4:00am to go to work, I still try to stay awake as long as possible during the night. Even if I'm just mindlessly channel flipping. I sometimes stay awake entire nights like this and just get out of bed, have a shower, get some breakfast and go to work.

Othertimes, and this is where the fear comes in, I get right to the brink of sleep. You know that time I'm talking about, most don't remember the feeling if they've successfully fallen asleep, but if you've ever been woken right at that point you know that it is a jarring feeling. I go through this multiple times a night, if I even try to sleep at all. I'll jerk violently, and have a severe sense of dread, as I come back from the brink of sleep. My GF is very concerned, although I try to hide it from her.

When I awake, I have a feeling of annoyance and anger, once the fear has subsided. I may go on like this four or five times a night, before finally falling asleep. Always, when I think about sleeping, I feel a twinge of fear. And when I am actively falling asleep, I am consistantly jarred awake before I actually enter into sleep.

The second thing is becoming aware of a presence in the room and purposely wrenching (and I do not use that word lightly or for any other reason than what I actually do to myself) my mind awake. I could be sound asleep, only to have a feeling of fear, and of someone in the room with me (other than my GF), in my concious mind, and I forcefully tear myself awake. Even before my body is fully awake, I try to reach out towards whatever I sensed (I can always tell where in the room I thought it was) and speak. The words always come out mumbled and strained, as that of a mentally retarded person.

I have had occurances where there were others sleeping in the same house, in different rooms, who have come into my room at early morning hours after this happenening and asking what the 'horrible noise' was.

At first (within the first .5 seconds) when waking, I cannot move at all, nore speak. This passes very quickly, however and I can speak normally after the first sentence (usually "Who is that?" or something similar).

Third, I have begun having strange breathing problems when sleeping.

I sometimes am awakened by what I feel to be my own suffocation while sleeping. I awake with a very quick and hard inhaling breathe, sitting directly up in my bed, in shock.

although not always having the exact same symptoms every night, I have at least one or two happen mulitple times each and every night.

Is this related to sleep paralysis? I have no idea about what sleep paralysis is, and I have no idea about what is happening to me while I am trying to sleep, but I thought this may be a good place to ask.

I know this is not Alien related, but there is a lot of talk about sleep paralysis on this forum. I'm pretty sure there are some people here who are knowledgable on the topic.

Please help me figure out what is going on here.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I once had some strange experiences at night too...

I woke up in the middle of night scared as hell and with the feeling there where others in my room. I tried to scream and kick in the walls but I couldn't, it was like moving in slow motion and my voice was too low.
And then I heard this strange sound coming closer and closer and then something went trough my sheet and it me in my side, and then everything was back to normal...

And the night before that I only woke up scared two times, and it have never happend again, I wonder what the hell it was...

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Enrikez, you are most definitely describing sleep paralysis. As far as being afraid to sleep, I'm not really sure what that's all about. Could your sleep be suffering because of stress?

As for you breathing problems, this actually sounds like sleep apnea. If you're not familiar with this, look it up. Are you overweight, by any chance?

All I can suggest is that you become familiar with sleep paralysis. Become familiar with the paralysis, the hallucinations, the sense of a "presence," and when you experience these things you can simply tell yourself "I am only experiencing sleep paralysis." On the plus side, sleep paralysis is a sort of border state between dreaming and wakefullness, so you could also use this as an opportunity to slip into a lucid dream.

BTW, do you ever experience auditory hallucinations? They are pretty common during sleep paralysis, at least in my experience. A lot of the time I hear several voices talking at once, or the deafening sound of my heart beating.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Postal76]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't know if this will help or not but his research seems to point to some extrasensory phenomena.

Michael Persinger Laurentian University

www.laurentian.ca...

the pursuit and discovery of subtle interactions between the geophysical/ meteorological environment and human behavior.

Within the commercial setting, we have pursued the possibility that control of experience, from depression to memory, may be simulated by transcerebral application of complex magnetic field patterns associated with activity of either endogenous or exogenous ligands at the synapses.

As a human being, I am concerned about the illusionary explanations for human consciousness and the future of human existence. Consequently after writing the Neuropsychological Base of God Beliefs (1987), I began the systematic application of complex electromagnetic fields to discern the patterns that will induce experiences (sensed presence) that are attributed to the myriad of ego-alien intrusions which range from gods to aliens. The research is not to demean anyone's religious/mystical experience but instead to determine which portions of the brain or its electromagnetic patterns generate the experience. Two thousand years of philosophy have taught us that attempting to prove or disprove realities may never have discrete verbal (linguistic) solutions because of the limitation of this measurement. The research has been encouraged by the historical fact that most wars and group degradations are coupled implicitly to god beliefs and to the presumption that those who do not believe the same as the experient are somehow less human and hence expendable. Although these egocentric propensities may have had adaptive significance, their utility for the species' future may be questionable.

He's been able to reproduce the abduction experience through elletrical impulses administered to the brain.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I myself have experienced sleep paralysis, however not the extents mentioned.

Eitherway as far as Im aware its a state between the body and mind, and is usually triggered by a loud noise or disturbance. Basically, if one is in a deep sleep and is disturbed, they conscience can 'wake up', but the body still lies asleep.

It's a pretty scary experience as you cannot move any part of your body, while seemingly screaming you are simply grunting at a low pitch.

Enrikez what it sounds like you've got is a severe form of sleep paralysis, probably brought on by stress and paranoia. I'd recommend going to a doctor, see if you can channel the fear and stress inside, leaving you more calm and relaxed.

I also feel foreign presences around me regularly, but you shouldn't be scared. Ive woken up with what has felt an arm across me holding me down while have occasionally 'forced' myself to wake up. You are not alone in that department!

Channel away your stress and anxieties, if your experiences continue embrace them (you never know what they might be), but I'd certainly recommend a doctor first...

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I know what you mean about jarring awake. I do that too. I think I do it, because if I fall asleep, I am "vunerable" to whatever is causing the fear. So I don't want to let my guard down. So i keep trying to stop the sleep process. Sometimes in this jarring awake times, I seem to be drifting into a familar dream, and possibly it is the dream I don't want to enter.

A for waking up and "sitting directly up in bed", that happened to me only once.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Postal76
Enrikez, you are most definitely describing sleep paralysis. As far as being afraid to sleep, I'm not really sure what that's all about. Could your sleep be suffering because of stress?

Thanks for the diagnosis. I was curious if this is what was happening to me. I have been going through some mild stress, but nothing too extreme or that I wasn't going through at other times in my life when this was not happening.

Originally posted by Postal76As for you breathing problems, this actually sounds like sleep apnea. If you're not familiar with this, look it up. Are you overweight, by any chance?

This is kind of funny, because after I posted this last ight, there was a show on about a guy with sleep apnea. I'd never heard of the disorder before, but his symptoms matched mine in some key ways. The breathing problems while sleeping, nightmares/fear, except he was also having heart problems (which I don't have) and bad headaches (which I am also not experiencing).

I am probably about 15 pounds overwieght. Is that enough to lead to sleep apnea? I could shed the extra weight easily if that might help.

Originally posted by Postal76BTW, do you ever experience auditory hallucinations? They are pretty common during sleep paralysis, at least in my experience. A lot of the time I hear several voices talking at once, or the deafening sound of my heart beating.

Strange that you should mention this, because I hadn't noticed it before, but after thinking about it, yes I do. Although only when falling asleep (not when fully awake), but yes I do hear at least one person talking at times during the night.

I do not hear heart beats, but I do hear voices that say things that I remember as not being anything I would say or think while awake. That is strange, I will pay more attention to this in the future.

Thank you for all of the responses. I'll check the links when I get ome from work. And reread the responses at that time as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Hi enrikez , you will be pleased to know you are not alone, i can relate to every single thing you posted as i have experienced them all, i have that fear of falling asleep you mentioned and often skip nights of sleep. A few things you mention are very similar to me, like the severe sense of dread after jerking yourself awake when falling asleep, the presence in the room etc the bit i hate the most is when i awake and cant move or open my eyes, usually lasts aout 30 seconds and is the most frightening thing ive ever experienced!

I now cant go to bed to sleep, i have to sit downstairs all night (usually fighting sleep and jerking myself awake when i feel it taking me over) , i now cant usually remember getting to bed each night (well, morning really) last thing i remember usually is sat on the sofa either watching tv or surfing on the laptop, and the next thing i know im waking up in bed a few hours later, my GF has said she often hears me bumping about coming up the stairs and said she has spoken to me a few times in my 'walking zombie' state and i just ignore her and head for bed lol, its quite surreal to wake up in a bed when the last thing you remember is sat downstairs reading ats!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hey Kungfu,

I also experience these symtpoms, except for the sleep paralysis. I am currently trying to lose weight to help with the sleep apnea. I sometimes wake up chokingbecause of it. It sucks.

But another thing... DO NOT READ ATS WHILE YOU FIGHT GOING TO SLEEP.

YOu need sleep. If you stay up all night you will just induce a schizotype disorder. You are affectively doing a form of 'allowed torture' to yourself by staying up all night and reading scary stories.

Think of it this way: If you were your own kid, would you raise yourself by keeping yourself up all night while playing horror movies and reading scary ghost stories?

I don't read ATS after 8pm now, AND i sleep a lot better for it, lol!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
sleep with one of these under your head.

Thats the pyramid orgone matrix...

it manipulates the same energy that a pyramid makes, which is called life force energy.

anyway.

print one out. put one under your pillows or bed, and you'll be totally relaxed becuase it induces the alpha theta state, and you'll have better sleep, more vivid dreams, and you will also feel better when you wake up.

there are cool experiments that can be done tih the orgone too.

if you dont believe it .. try it for yourself.

oh... if you do the water experiment.... try it with tea. it works better, becuase some people cant taste the difference in water, but you can tell a big difference with tea.

MPM orgone experiment

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I've let the replies in this thread sink in over the last year or so since it started, and although I didn't try the pyramid suggestion, I've found my symptoms steadily (although slowly) going away.

I still have occurances, but they are now much fewer and more managable. Probably the worst part about having to go through something like this is what was mentioned earlier about developing a schizo-like state while awake. I found myself being more and more paranoid, unable to concentrate as I once had been able to etc.

I now attribute most of these sleep problems to stress. It is a pretty dangerous cycle to get into, and takes a long time to correct, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had to go through these types of things.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I guess they could be related to stress indeed.
I too have not had much of them lately, but if I try I can kinda get there again I think... I'm not sure if you have read any of my other threads/posts about this but I even managed to be able to force myself into sleep paralysis and even out of the body some times too. I still once in a while wake up paralyzed, but it doesn't bother me.

And btw, it never made me anywhere near schizo.

And to any moderator reading this, I hope my two new banners in my signature is ok? If not let me know, I know there are strict rules about this. But since this site also says it's about social networking I think those should be ok; it gives people a chance to know me better.

Seems like the Size tag got a bug btw...

[edit on 2007/10/21 by TrappedSoul]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Just today I had the most scary instance in my constant struggle for a good night's sleep.

I have been on a six day hiatus from work and have been drinking and partying everyday for the last 4 or five days. I decided to have a nap this afternoon to try and catch up on some sleep when this happened to me.

I guess I had been sleeping when I had the idea that my mother and sister (who don't live with me) were at the door of my bedroom, and I could hear them talking about whether they should wake me or not.

I decided to wake up and see what they wanted, when I had a terribly familiar sensation. I couldn't put my finger on it before but for anyone who has been knocked unconscious (I have been rendered unconscious many times ... mostly not why you think) when you are coming back from it there is a pulsing/vibrating sensation as your body becomes mobile again. This is what I felt today, it was very intense. If you've ever been shocked by a residential wire or outlet, the feeling is very similar.

But this lasted at least thirty seconds, which was an enormous amount of time. I couldn't move most of my muscles, but I could turn slowly toward the door to my room and I could here my sister crying and saying "wake him up, wake him up". I was shaking, my muscles were clenched and imobilized, my mouth was open, but I couldn't make any sounds. I could only turn over on the bed as I vibrated and pulsed, paralyzed and unable to speak.

This was horrifying. Is this fatal?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
I've been having some strange events happen to me while I sleep over the last few months.

The first is an unfounded fear of falling asleep.

Although I wake up at 4:00am to go to work, I still try to stay awake as long as possible during the night. Even if I'm just mindlessly channel flipping. I sometimes stay awake entire nights like this and just get out of bed, have a shower, get some breakfast and go to work.

Othertimes, and this is where the fear comes in, I get right to the brink of sleep. You know that time I'm talking about, most don't remember the feeling if they've successfully fallen asleep, but if you've ever been woken right at that point you know that it is a jarring feeling. I go through this multiple times a night, if I even try to sleep at all. I'll jerk violently, and have a severe sense of dread, as I come back from the brink of sleep. My GF is very concerned, although I try to hide it from her.

When I awake, I have a feeling of annoyance and anger, once the fear has subsided. I may go on like this four or five times a night, before finally falling asleep. Always, when I think about sleeping, I feel a twinge of fear. And when I am actively falling asleep, I am consistantly jarred awake before I actually enter into sleep.

The second thing is becoming aware of a presence in the room and purposely wrenching (and I do not use that word lightly or for any other reason than what I actually do to myself) my mind awake. I could be sound asleep, only to have a feeling of fear, and of someone in the room with me (other than my GF), in my concious mind, and I forcefully tear myself awake. Even before my body is fully awake, I try to reach out towards whatever I sensed (I can always tell where in the room I thought it was) and speak. The words always come out mumbled and strained, as that of a mentally retarded person.

I have had occurances where there were others sleeping in the same house, in different rooms, who have come into my room at early morning hours after this happenening and asking what the 'horrible noise' was.

At first (within the first .5 seconds) when waking, I cannot move at all, nore speak. This passes very quickly, however and I can speak normally after the first sentence (usually "Who is that?" or something similar).

Third, I have begun having strange breathing problems when sleeping.

I sometimes am awakened by what I feel to be my own suffocation while sleeping. I awake with a very quick and hard inhaling breathe, sitting directly up in my bed, in shock.

although not always having the exact same symptoms every night, I have at least one or two happen mulitple times each and every night.

Is this related to sleep paralysis? I have no idea about what sleep paralysis is, and I have no idea about what is happening to me while I am trying to sleep, but I thought this may be a good place to ask.

I know this is not Alien related, but there is a lot of talk about sleep paralysis on this forum. I'm pretty sure there are some people here who are knowledgable on the topic.

Please help me figure out what is going on here.

this is alien related dude , those are greys and they do this stuff ALOT. They are in the astral most of the time and 3rd abuction are very , very rare. They feed of your energy at night and mess with you. Do not fear them because thats what they want , it give them the force to have a hold on you , even nightmares are their creations and they create them to feed of your emotion, you gotta fight that and show them you're strong. greys do not travel around in flying saucers much , they live in the astral and we are cut off from it while awake , this give them their cover to act invisible and thus more efficiently. If you encounter them while dreaming fight them back , w/e you encounter hostile while dreaming fight it back and never fear.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I really hope you are just messing around with me.

Although the feelings I get and the weird electrocution feelings sometimes make me feel like there could be something strange happening, I'm still on the side of the fence that says this is pretty common and explainable by non-alien means.

I'm pretty scared at this time, because I felt like I was going to die today, and maybe I should take the earlier advise to see a doctor (I hate going to the doctor). I'm just really hoping people with the same experiences can tell me that my symptoms are normal and I don't have to worry about not waking up in the morning everytime I go to sleep.

Jesus, I'm only 26 years old. I have a lot to live for still.

EDIT to say that this thread was started when I was 24. I've been using it as my own personal question thread for two years. This thread and the posts in it are important to me and have helped me deal in the past.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Enrikez]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
I really hope you are just messing around with me.

Although the feelings I get and the weird electrocution feelings sometimes make me feel like there could be something strange happening, I'm still on the side of the fence that says this is pretty common and explainable by non-alien means.

I'm pretty scared at this time, because I felt like I was going to die today, and maybe I should take the earlier advise to see a doctor (I hate going to the doctor). I'm just really hoping people with the same experiences can tell me that my symptoms are normal and I don't have to worry about not waking up in the morning everytime I go to sleep.

Jesus, I'm only 26 years old. I have a lot to live for still.

EDIT to say that this thread was started when I was 24. I've been using it as my own personal question thread for two years. This thread and the posts in it are important to me and have helped me deal in the past.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Enrikez]

ah didn't notice it was 2 years old lol , well no I wouldn't joke on such subject but if they are still bothering you , you gotta defend yourself and fight them. I used to feel like you , they have been messing with me since chillhood and I would wake up in the morning with my pillow covered with blood. If picture of greys faces give you chill or w/e it's another proof , fear of sleep is common for those who are abudcted much by them and this state give them the energy they are looking for. If you go to roller coaster parks / movies theater that play horror stuff and such , they are around in the astral and feeding off the emotion. They created much of our entertainement for this sole purpose. You can go to the doctor but he might just beleive its all about your head and prescribe you some pills that are harmfull for your health. You gotta fight them if you want to end this dude.

top topics

join