It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do you think of profiling at airports?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i think people should stop being scared of being called racist for profiling. 9/11 the people were middle eastern, they werent John Smith of Utah. i think it is funny when the old grandma in a wheel chair is searched at the airport, but the middle eastern in back of here is let right through without a problem. what are your opinions on this?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't think profiling by race is a good idea. I'm with you on searching the old lady, but still, anyone could be carrying something unwanted onto the plane. I would prefer the detection capabilities at airports be made better so that everyone can be 'searched' without having to pull certain people out of the crowd.

Now, profiling by behavior, circumstances and other more subtle cues, I really don't have a problem with. If the airport employees could be trained to pick up on subtle behaviors of nervousness or other physical cues, I honestly think it would be ok to search people who seem irritated or agitated. But it might be because they're late for their flight!

Bottom line, we need a better way of making sure that everyone travels more safely. But until then, no, I don't think racial profiling is the way to go. It's racist.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
well like i said, its not john smith high jacking planes.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I think this entire profiling issue is being blown out of proportion. I live near Pittsburgh and was watching the news a few weeks ago and one of the City Council members were talking about how 80% of the people arrested in her district were Black and that the Police must be racial profiling. Then it was pointed out to her that 80% of the people in her district were BLACK!

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I've mentioned this before but it seems to fit the thread.

prior to 9/11 (years earlier) there was a rash of carjackings near the Miami Int'l airport. Many of the carjackings led to murder. The local cops started stopping anyone that fit the description of the perpetrators of these crimes. The description? Young black male.

The african american community was up in arms about it. Racial profiling at its worst they said.

60 minutes ran a story on the racial profiling and they interviewed local and national african american leaders.

In the months after 9/11 there was a rash of issues where middle eastern looking men were asked to leave flights because the other passengers were scared and security at the airports was singling out middle eastern men. The arab american community was up in arms. Racial profiling they said.

60 minutes ran another story. This time they focused on the current racial profiling issue but they also interviewed many of the african american leaders who cried foul years earlier. Every single one of the men and women interviewed said the same thing. It was ok. They understood it now.

Is it wrong? yes. Is it a bit more realistic and effective? Probably. Let's be honest, grandma is probably not going to hijack or blow up a plane. The truth is, a middle eastern man is, to be blunt, more of a threat.

The only reason grandma is searched is to placate the people crying foul.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I agree with you 100% ^^

[edit on 22-6-2006 by Swatman]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I've mentioned this before but it seems to fit the thread.

prior to 9/11 (years earlier) there was a rash of carjackings near the Miami Int'l airport. Many of the carjackings led to murder. The local cops started stopping anyone that fit the description of the perpetrators of these crimes. The description? Young black male.

The african american community was up in arms about it. Racial profiling at its worst they said.

60 minutes ran a story on the racial profiling and they interviewed local and national african american leaders.

In the months after 9/11 there was a rash of issues where middle eastern looking men were asked to leave flights because the other passengers were scared and security at the airports was singling out middle eastern men. The arab american community was up in arms. Racial profiling they said.

60 minutes ran another story. This time they focused on the current racial profiling issue but they also interviewed many of the african american leaders who cried foul years earlier. Every single one of the men and women interviewed said the same thing. It was ok. They understood it now.

Is it wrong? yes. Is it a bit more realistic and effective? Probably. Let's be honest, grandma is probably not going to hijack or blow up a plane. The truth is, a middle eastern man is, to be blunt, more of a threat.

The only reason grandma is searched is to placate the people crying foul.

I also agree 100%. The fact of the matter is as previously stated, the main threat right now is in fact Middle-Eastern in decent. Does that mean all middle-easterners NO, of course not that is ridiculous. However do we want the blunt of our force to attack that which needs not attacking...for the sake of "equality". I for one dont.

new topics

top topics

join