It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Repubs Stall Vote on Renewal of Voting Rights Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Whew, thank you Ceci, I had more or less given up hope. I felt like, they'll do what they wanna do anyway, all I can do is pay attention. So, I'm glad they've at least specified which parts of the legislation they had problems with.

As you know, I'm kind of in an apathetic rut, so this development is good. It will help restore my faith in people.

Sadly, I agree with some of the dissenters now. I, too, disagree with ballots in different languages. I thought that one of the requirements of citzenship was a working knowledge of the English language. I feel bad, because I love the hispanic people, of course, living so close to Spanish Harlem, and I do see the point of other multilingual services, like ESL, or translators for court and hospitals, but, at the end of the day, picking a name out of a list? That requires only minimal comprehension. Am I missing something about the issue?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The reasons that I don't agree with bilingual ballots is because it could lead to more trouble than what it is worth. For example, you have to show a general knowledge of English before you can become a citizen in this country. Not saying that is how it should be, but that is how it is. Only citizens can exercise their right to vote anyway. I also think that promoting bilingual ballots would hinder, instead of help, those who speak another language. We all deep down know that English is spoken everywhere in this country and will continue to be spoken by the general population. By supporting bilingual ballots and Spanish speaking in this society, it actually hinders the Hispanic minority from living out their American dream and getting a foothold in society. And that's my honest opininion. I want to see them grow and prosper, not fall on their butts.

Removed some misinfo.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by zenlover28]

[edit on 13-7-2006 by zenlover28]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join