It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise in terrorism offence figures in Scotland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Police used anti-terror measures to deal with 66 incidents over the past 12 months, mostly at the ferry port unit, compared with one in the previous year.

BBC News

So, what do you think's going on here then? Is Scotland full of terrorists and that's us reached a certain limit they've decided to do something about it? Or are the police just starting to use the terrorism rules as an easy way to deal with simple offenses that probably wouldn't have any serious implications to the offender?

(( People here wanted more posts regarding our own countries - so you'll get some, and you'll bloomin well be interested and start researching things :p ))

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Quote…
“The report said that last year 266 people were arrested under the 2000 Terrorism Act, 212 of them after the July bombings in London. Thirty-five people were charged as a
result of the arrests, 27 with offences under anti-terrorist laws.”
Source: politics.guardian.co.uk...

Here’s the lords ruling use of stop and search anti terrorism justified.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Here’s some advice about what to do
www.urban75.org...

Basically (for now at least) their powers seem quite limited. They simply authorise the police search people without reasonable suspicion within a geographical area they define.
What annoys me is that these powers were brought in the under disguise of terrorism (this way of doing things unnerves me; more than the rules themselves (although I would argue they are too authoritarian for the public good).

So dawa I would imagine all we have is an example political policing. It’s not that bad the Nazis had a political police force and there was still bred and butter on the table for most people. Anyway I’ve long thought that a political police force was overdue (not that I support it). And let’s not kid ourselves just because the government keeps giving itself more of the powers needed for an authoritarian political police force doesn’t mean they will use them (yet) (that’s New World Order conspiracy). As said it’s the governments own association with terrorism and authoritarian legislation that annoys me; if they want it that’s one thing; but they should at least let people see it for it is (not that our government is necessarily in business of letting people see things for what they are).

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Section 22 is now commonly used for offences that previously dealt with under public order etc offences (for example demonstrations, protests at party conferences, people walking on cycle paths - I'm not joking - etc etc).

The police like the new law as it's easier to apply, requires a lower threshold of evidence and is less likely to be challenged by courts or the press.

join