It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help seriously someone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I just bought a new compaq presario laptop, My sister jacked it and ever since it just does not work right and I have tried everything.

First off when I start it up it take about 10 minutes to boot up it just sits at the windows screen with that green thing that just goes back and forth inside the bar, then finally when it boots up and through normal operation it just does not work correctly, very slow and freezes up and skips and is real jotty. I think the CPU may have over heated or something? Anything that I can do or should I just take it down to the geek squad:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redefine19
I just bought a new compaq presario laptop, My sister jacked it and ever since it just does not work right and I have tried everything.

"Jacked it?"

Might be helpful to know.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The first and most obvious question, has it ever been dropped?

Ask your sister if anything went wrong with it while she had it.

The next thing I would suggest is to 'Defragment' the hard drive, if you have not done that already.

Do you have Anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc installed?

if you have no problem with uscrwing the bottom, turn it off, remove the battery. Find the compartment where the memory is installed. There are two clips on it. Spread the two clips to release the memory. It should pop up at an angle. Remove, then reseat the memory. press it down, to refasten it. Put the cover back on. Put the battery back in.
Boot up.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I would say to return it and get another one.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
she took it without permission...anyways I have no problem opening it but what do I press/mess with to reset the memory? Will I loose any of my por...I mean homework? How bad can I mess it up if I do something wrong? Does this sound like a hard/software problem

thanks everyone for all your help by the way

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well it may give a clue to what is wrong, if we know exactly what it was your sister did with it. She may have changed settings, installed some unwanted software or visited some "Click here to Enter if You're over 18" sites which usually results in Viruses and other unwanted bugs. Having a sister of my own I know you probably won't get the truth from your sister.

Not sure if you'll loose any data. Some may suggest a format, but I always choose a complete format as a final last resort, which will result in the loss of your por-homework.
Make a back-up of everything you want to play it safe. (CD writer?)

If it is a new Laptop, then the easy answer would be to take it back to your supplier, seeing that it's most probably still under guarantee. Ignorantly fiddling with stuff may result in voiding your warrantee/guarantee.

The problems you mention are typically a hardware problem. I doubt if it's a (CPU) heating problem, 'cause those usually result in the machine shutting down by itself - though it's not impossible. Overheating graphiccards do funny things.

So, to sum up - take it back to your supplier.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Originally posted by Redefine19

"Jacked it?"

Might be helpful to know.

LMAO... Jacked: [verb] to made thier own, to steal.

HAHAHAHA

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The very first step I would do in figureing out the problem of a computer in your situation is go to START then RUN then type MSCONFIG and click the STARTUP tab, and UNcheck EVERYTHIN. None of it is system needed, so dont worry. Click Apply and restart the computer, and see if its better. You can always go back and recheck anything if you do need it running, like Anti Virus's.

If its STILL acting weird.. I would try holding F8 before you see the windows screen. A list of options will show up. Choose "SAFE MODE". After everything boot up. Move some icons, and press some buttons. If its still "SLOW" and "LAGGY" or "DOESNT RESPOND", than something physically major could have happened to the computer. But more than likely this isn't the case. anyway, go to START, ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, then SYSTEM RESTORE. If you have Windows XP, and System Restore is on, then you can load a restore point. You will see a calendar, and some days will be selectable. Select a date that the computer previously worked. You can click the days to find out what was installed or changed on those days to find out what your sister did to the computer also. But for now, just select a date you knew the computer worked, and continue the restore. It will auto restart your computer.

If its still acting up after that, repost, and let me know. System Restores are reversable, so dont be affraid.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by LAES YVAN]

top topics

join