It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanotube application could greatly reduce cost of fresh water from saltwater extractions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I heard about this last week on a BBC news program while on vacation last week.

A method of extracting freshwater from salt water that involves filtering the salt water through a filter composed of nanotube membranes is being studied at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. The filter will cut the cost of water production from salt water by as much as 75%. With drinkable water supply expected to become one of many environmental issues to be faced in the coming years, this is a major breakthrough. They are expected to be commonplace within the next 5-10 years.

Nanotubes creating fresh water

I first found out about nanotubes on ATS. It's really fascinating to see how these things could very well be the discovery of our current century and how the byproducts of them will shape the world in the coming years.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
That is a great article. Having knowledge of semiconductor growth and water purification makes me wonder on how fast they can make these, and then how fast they can process the salt water.

I can imagine a filter system in all living areas of all countries that has these nanotube wafers inside seperating the water from salt. Maybe there will be a portable Britta filter with nanotube technology available at Walmart one day, great for trips to the beach...lol

Hope they make this affordable for the developing parts of the world. Great find.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I hope they incorporate this technology into The Lifestraw.

join