It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guilty verdict in lobbyist trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The Dept of Justice one a trial today involving Jack Abramoff, and David Safivan. Safivan could receive up to 5 years in prison. This verdict could have much broader implications.

www.guardian.co.uk
The Justice Department on Tuesday won its first trial in the probe of influence peddler Jack Abramoff, convicting a former Bush administration official in a case that touched on questionable behavior by members of Congress.

A jury found David Safavian had hidden details of his relationship with Abramoff from a General Services Administration ethics lawyer, the GSA's Inspector General's office and the Senate Indian Affairs Committee and had obstructed the IG.

Safavian, the GSA's former chief of staff, could face up to five years in prison on each of those four counts. He was acquitted of obstructing the Senate probe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The biggest point that I see hear is that public officials and held accountable in some of the same ways that regular citizens are. The conviction is for fraud and tax evasion. There is a lot more to this story then I have written hear, and I just don't understand all of it. But any more points that you want to bring forth, please do so.

Related News Links:
federaltimes.com
www.timesreporter.com

[edit on 20/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Geez, I can't even decifer if this is a true case of busting corruption or a witch hunt of some sort.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.......

join