It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Courts Union Will Provide Security for UN Aid Workers In Somalia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Civil-Society leaders in Mogadishu are appealing for humanitarian assistance now that calm has settled after four months of fighting between a popular Islamic movement and ruthless warlords has come to an end. The United Nations has said it will send air only if there is sufficient security for the mission. The Islamic Courts Union has stated they will provide security and a safe environment.

www.alertnet.org
NAIROBI, 20 June (IRIN) - The United Nations is planning to send a humanitarian mission to the Somali capital, Mogadishu, to see how to best address the critical needs of civilians, a senior UN official said.

However, the mission would only go to Mogadishu if there were guarantees of security on the ground, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, Eric Laroche, said on Monday.

The prevailing calm that has followed the end of more than four months of fighting between the Islamic courts and other faction leaders offers an opportunity to help some 295,000 internally displaced people in the city and an additional 17,000 people displaced by recent clashes, Laroche said. Priority needs were in the areas of health, water and sanitation and protection.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is wonderful to see the UN extending a helping hand, as well as the ICU guaranteeing the safety and security of aid workers. I believe that shows a much needed positive light on the people and their desire to return to the international community.

We should focus on bringing this country and its people back to our global community and help them to end their suffering.

Related News Links:
allafrica.com
www.middle-east-online.com
www.middle-east-online.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Islamic Courts Union Seize Final Warlords Stronghold; Foreign Troops To Enter Somalia
US Accused of Funding Somali Militants To Battle Islamic Coalition
Operation Rescue Somalia

[edit on 6/20/2006 by DYepes]

[edit on 20-6-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Would anyone be interested in sponsoring a freelance media report to the capitol of Mogadishu travelling under UN journalism team if possible? I think it would be good to have EXCLUSIVE interviews with UN Volunteers as well as citizens of the popular Islamic movement as well as documentary footage of life in a once unforgivable land. I would gladly purcahse an advanced RFID passport, as well as satellite mobile phone to give up to the minute updates. I think it could bring much prosperity to this forum as well as distribute advertising all over Somalia to get the name out internationally .

Even recorded footage can sell for thousands to those network media corporations who will either spin it or unintentially mistranslate any dialogue broadcasted in order to get an agenda. A media corporation could be invested in with any licensing of property and no doubt the act alone could make it elligable for ncie rate loans. This could become a publiclly held company with registered members as shareholders.

Does anyone want to see this happen or should I just inquire further first and hope for the best?

[edit on 6/20/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Please ignore my first post, they were the delusional rantings of an intoxicated mind. Anyways there are much positive developments in this situation now:

yahoo.c om

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Somalia's foreign minister and a representative of the faction that controls the country's capital signed an agreement Thursday that calls for an immediate cease-fire and confers mutual recognition on the warring parties.

"The parties have committed themselves to cease all verbal provocation and all military action," the secretary general of the Arab League, Amr Moussa, said at the signing ceremony, which was presided over by Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.

"The two parties agreed to reach a compromise that preserves the unity and integrity of Somalia," Moussa told reporters.

He said the delegation from the Islamic Courts Union — the militia that controls the capital of Mogadishu and most of southern Somalia — agreed to recognize the legitimacy of the interim government, which is based in Baidoa, 155 miles northwest of Mogadishu.

The U.N.-backed government "recognizes the reality and existence of the Islamic Courts," Moussa said.

This is probably the most wonderful news this country has heard in decades. The two factions have established a mutual recognition and respect for each others and their role in the future of the country. Soon enough the UN will have humanitarian missions and the forgotten land will be on the road to reconstruction.

Moussa said both parties also agreed to prosecute war criminals and to reconvene on July 15 in Khartoum to negotiate a full peace agreement without preconditions.

Somalia's interim President Abdullahi Yusuf, who attended the ceremony, said his government intended to negotiate peace with the Islamic Courts.

"We have no interest in shedding any blood, and we will seek every possible way to preserve the life of the Somalis," Yusuf said.

Foreign Minister Abdallah Sheikh Ismail signed the agreement with the chief delegate of the Islamic Courts, Mohamed Ali Ibrahim. The two hugged each other afterward.

There is nothing more beautiful than this. They are declaring peace with each other, they will prosecute many war criminals (including many who may have been funded by the Pentagon/CIA), and are on the road to joining the international community once again. For those of you who believe that there is not much good left in the world or have lost faith in humanity, I only need to refer you to this developing series of events. A once completely Anarchic, bitter war zone and hotbed of human suffering is already establishing order and is on the way to helping the millions of citizens to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And they are doing it through their own actions.

Imagine that?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
The Islamic Courts Union has stated they will provide security and a safe environment.

The very organization that wiped out the warlords and is establishing an islamic republic is going to protect the UN?

Uhm, shouldn't the UN be attacking this organization? Not begging it for protection while it supplies its subjects with food and medecine??

We should focus on bringing this country and its people back to our global community

In case you haven't noticed, there's no room in the global community for militant islamic republics.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow Nygdan you have done a wonderful job of not researching the subject at all have you? I am sorry I completely forgot that the European immigrants simply asked the King of England for soveiergnty to create America and England granted them this independance with no revolution or fighting whatsoever.

Oh wait that is just a fantasy. It seems the only thing you are focusing on is the fact that they are an popular Islamic movement and are automatically connecting them to brutality and terrorism? Well that is jumping the gun if I have ever seen it. This is an example of an ideology being able to unite a people against terrorist warlords which by the way were indeed being funded by the Pentagon/CIA as stated by the president of the Interim government himself!

Not only did they manage to drive these illegally funded terrorists from their cities in the south, they met little to almost no resistance at all from Somali citizens because of their support for the cause. They have actually managed to restore order in the city of Mogadishu by reducing crime, legitimazing contracts for business and marriage, and have pretty much united the people under one banner.

But they did not stop there at all!!! They appealed to the international community (UN, US, EU, African Union, and other individual nations) with their motivations, and their condemnation of terrorism. Not to mention the majority of the movement are by moderate Muslims and the very few radical elements in the Union are only there for the time being because this is just in the begining of their movement. Today they have held very respectful meetings with the interim government and they both came to mutual recognition and peace terms.

I am sorry Nygdan, but if you have found anything in any of these articles, as well as the others I have been submitting on the topic as it has been developing, or any of the references posted that soe match as assumes these people are intedning to murder westerners, spread radical elements beyon their borders, or for the matter support and condone terrorism at all, I would hope you can please point me to where I have missed it. I have already submitted a plethora of sources and direct statements which show this movement only wants to bring peace and stability back to Somalia, and set up a semblence of hope for the future of their people.

Please if I am gravely mistaken you have to deny my ignorance, it seems I am asleep at the moment.

join