It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Which country have you visited and found the food terrible?

Personally I've always been disappointed with Greek food and it's the major factor in me never intending to return - I've been c. 7 times and can't remember a decent meal.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My experience of greek food is either chips, souvlaki and chips, crappy steak and chips, fried sardines and chips, oh and chips. Oh yeah and those disgusting vineleaf roll things...with chips.

Havent been impressed with french food to be honest, I know there supposed to be the best chefs in the world, but their everyday food in my experience is not particularly great, always seems to be some sort of beans in some sort of mayonaise or something. But to be fair ive not spent a long time in the country.

Scotland also deserves recognision for poor food. Everything seem to be covered in grease. I went to a chip shop and they fried everything, from pies, which sucked up grease like a sponge, to pizzas, which where folded in half and then fried. Although to be fair, ive had some very nice haggis (although someone told me there not originally scottish?).

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'd agree on France, generally poor food and loads of attitude with it.

Scotland I've actually had some great food but up country way from the cities

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
any food not prepared in the new orleans area is terrible.

new orleans food > all

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dont always think americans are the best chefs, but they do seem to get the best ingredients. Especially if you want meat, ive had some amazing steaks that you would pay 10 times more for in the uk.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
US steaks may be bigger (growth hormone is legal in the US - IIRC) but are they better than Aberdeen Angus? My experience of US food is that the portions are huge but the taste belies its chemical / additive / factory farmed provenance.

Anyway back on track - where is the food terrible?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I love French food! All quaint and hardly any of it, but still tasty.

I'm not a fan of Italian though, pasta's not my thing!

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
British food by far is the most depressing and worst. I like interesting, tasty dishes. The food is sorely lacking here. Restaraunt service is terrible too. The only decent food Ive found in this country is the various types of Asian food, from middle eastern to chinese.

I hate lamb, organ meats, eels, guts, most dairy, root vegtables, game meats, potatoes in general, and fatty meat. In fact, I dont eat much red meat at all. In this country, that pretty much limits you to bread and water. But even the bread is cloying and sweet.

Continental Europe comes in a very tight second. Again, too much meat and dairy. And they eat weird critters there too.

The best foods Ive ever tasted are Middle eastern, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Cajun, Creole, and Western American. (Eastern American food resembles European food in too many ways).

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Not sure where you're eating mate but maybe you should try somewhere new - Food in the UK is, in my experience pretty damned good.

Then again you sound like a fussy eater

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
Not sure where you're eating mate but maybe you should try somewhere new - Food in the UK is, in my experience pretty damned good.

Then again you sound like a fussy eater

Ive eaten alot of places. Its quite vile or its bland and tasteless.

You are English, so naturally, you would find food good here.

I am American, and I grew up with a diet heavily influenced by Mexican, Asian, and Western US cusine.

Which means lots of spice, herbs, fresh veggies uncooked, more rice, less potato, nice lean fresh meat, little dairy except yogurt, lots of fresh seafood and fish, ect. And most of it was either grilled, barbequed, or fried in oils such as sesame and olive.

British (and for that matter, European in genereal) has entirely too much dairy, fatty meats like sausage, organ meat, and cooked veg.

Different tastes.

top topics

join